Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Rolling Stones and American Black Music
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 22, 2015 22:27

Koen
stewedandkeefed
Virtually every genre of music that has originated in black America has been popularized by whites

Except for jazz music.

You need to do some homework, Koen. Start with Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:06

Hey, I wasn't born yet then!

Date: September 22, 2015 23:10

Koen
Hey, I wasn't born yet then!

smileys with beer Thanks! I needed that laugh! Note: I wasn't born in time to catch any of the originals either (I don't think)... Thankfully, the music was so good that it still made it to my ears.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:12

mr_dja
Koen
stewedandkeefed
Virtually every genre of music that has originated in black America has been popularized by whites

Except for jazz music.

You need to do some homework, Koen. Start with Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman.

Peace,
Mr DJA

i think it's awesome he didn't realize this. it means that society has corrected itself to give the original jazz musicians the credit they deserve. i would love it if people went right to chuck berry when they thought of rock-n-roll, rather than learning about him through bands like the stones. i'm sure the stones would too.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 23:24

Olly
LongBeachArena72
...The Stones have over the years created racial controversy ("Brown Sugar," "Some Girls," some of Mick's vocal deliveries...

Which vocal deliveries in particular?

The ones I have heard criticized as being too "pastiche-y" (and therefore potentially offensive) are "Prodigal Son," "You Gotta Move," and "Cherry O Baby."

I'm not trying to say there was ever a firestorm of criticism over this issue, but I have heard it mentioned here and there over the years, mainly by black critics.

Date: September 22, 2015 23:28

abc890
Well, as a young black Stones fan (early 20s) I can definitely say this: when my other black friend and myself went to see the Stones in June, I think besides us and another lady we were the only black people we saw. Now of course, there were probably more I didn't see but I'm willing to say that probably at least 90% of the audience were white.

I'm just guessing here but I think blues music for most people, not just blacks, seems very archaic and it's just not as popular as R&B, soul music, and rap among black people, especially young black people. It seems that black people have moved away from the blues in popularity and moved onto other types of music. I think if anyone were to learn and be exposed to the blues then there's no doubt that they may be introduced to the Stones and other similar bands. I watched Blues in America documentary and though the Stones weren't really featured, they were apart of the story and it seems that they are credited as starting the resurgence of blues music in 60s. From what the documentary said, blues music was already "dying" by that time and thanks to the Stones, it was reborn.

I can't say whether or not the Stones have more black fans than our current rock bands. Maybe it was the change of sound by the band? Or maybe certain music appeals more to whites than blacks? Nothing wrong with that but it could explain why there are fewer black fans of the Stones and rock bands in general.

Thanks, abc. Good feedback.

Date: September 22, 2015 23:37

Turner68
mr_dja
Koen
stewedandkeefed

Except for jazz music.

Peace,
Mr DJA

i think it's awesome he didn't realize this. it means that society has corrected itself to give the original jazz musicians the credit they deserve. i would love it if people went right to chuck berry when they thought of rock-n-roll, rather than learning about him through bands like the stones. i'm sure the stones would too.

I'll agree to disagree with most of your post. How it is awesome that someone didn't know about Miller, Dorsey & Goodman is beyond my grasp. I'd think that they were missing out on a bunch of great music if they missed out on those guys.

You yourself are actually missing out on some pretty good rock & roll if you stop searching at Chuck Berry. You do realize that, even Chuck was influenced by the people who came before him, don't you? I'd recommend looking for some Big Joe Turner & Louis Jordan if I were you. Also, contact IORR's own Rockman as he is a "posting encyclopedia" when it comes to early rock & roll music. I thought I had a good handle on the history until I started seeing some of his posts.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 22, 2015 23:51

mr_dja
Turner68
mr_dja
Koen
stewedandkeefed

Except for jazz music.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I'll agree to disagree with most of your post. How it is awesome that someone didn't know about Miller, Dorsey & Goodman is beyond my grasp. I'd think that they were missing out on a bunch of great music if they missed out on those guys.

You yourself are actually missing out on some pretty good rock & roll if you stop searching at Chuck Berry. You do realize that, even Chuck was influenced by the people who came before him, don't you? I'd recommend looking for some Big Joe Turner & Louis Jordan if I were you. Also, contact IORR's own Rockman as he is a "posting encyclopedia" when it comes to early rock & roll music. I thought I had a good handle on the history until I started seeing some of his posts.

Peace,
Mr DJA

You completely misinterpreted my post. I didn't say it was awesome he didn't know about those great musicians I said that it was awesome that he was aware of Jazz as starting with black musicians. Nor did I say people should stop searching at Chuck Berry - I actually said it would be great if they "went right to" Chuck Berry.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-22 23:54 by Turner68.

Date: September 22, 2015 23:54

stewedandkeefed
Virtually every genre of music that has originated in black America has been popularized by whites (for the white audience) from Elvis Presley on down. Look at rap/hip-hop - it took the Beastie Boys and Eminem to truly breakthrough with the white audience.

I think that while this may be true, it might also require a bit of an asterisk.

In the blues field, in spite of the exposure given the black "originals" by bands like The Stones, those original musicians never topped the charts, in most cases never got rich, never became as popular as the white musicians who "popularized" their music.

In hip-hop and jazz I don't think this is the case.

While it's true that Eminem and The Beasties may have "pushed" rap over into mainstream acceptance by whites, the men and women who over time sold the most records and got the most critical accolades were, generally speaking, black. It's hard to believe that Public Enemy, N.W.A., De La Soul, Cypress Hill, Dr Dre, The Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, 2Pac, Jay-Z, Outkast, and Kanye West wouldn't have been wildly successful had they not gotten a boost from The Beasties and Eminem.

I think it's a slightly less clear cut case in jazz. It's possible that if you did an exhaustive review of the jazz charts over the past 75 years you might find that white artists continued to outsell black artists. But I think it's also safe to say that there are FAR more black jazz-men and -women who are commonly thought to be in the highest levels of the music's critical pantheon than there are white musicians.

I just don't think that black artists in those two fields continued to labor in the kind of obscurity that black blues musicians did.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:45

Not a huge fan of rap by any means, but do have an appreciation for it....

I've always liked The Gheto Boyz tune 'My Mind Playing Tricks On Me' from 1991.
The guitar riff that they sampled led me to research it and discovered it was from an instrumental by the great Isaac Hayes titled Hung Up on My Baby from 1974 - sweet tune!

Also love Ice T's 'You Played Yourself' from 1989...dark meaningful lyrics and a great guitar riff sampled from James Brown's 'The Boss' from 1974.

Never really liked the Beastie Boys as they seemed like the Three Stooges - maybe fun for some people but not my cup of tea.
And Eminem, while he may have had some "credibility" from what I've heard, never thought much of him.

I have some younger (white) friends who are in their early 30's, and they love all sorts of rap which is what they grew up with listening to. They also love some very heavy metal like Slayer, etc., and also some classic rock, blues, reggae, and most everything else. They're tastes are fairly well balanced, but when push come to shove they'd probably name rap as their favorite.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2015 01:08

SATISFACTION - The Rolling Stones photographs of Gered Mankowitz

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 01:25 by Rockman.

Date: September 23, 2015 01:10

thumbs up

Date: September 23, 2015 01:21

Rockman

What's that passage from, rockman?

Date: September 23, 2015 01:27

ROCKMAN

Date: September 23, 2015 01:35

Rockman

thanks!

Date: September 23, 2015 02:37

BLUES ODYSSEY - Bill Wyman

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2015 03:42

Awww man that is sweet...would have brought a tear to my eye had I witnessed that in person!
I LOVE HOWLIN' WOLF!!!!

Date: September 23, 2015 04:08

Oh, I'm not that ignorant that I have not heard of Goodman, Miller, and Dorsey. smiling smiley But I was thinking more of Basie, Armstrong, Ellington, etc. Gotta blame my parents for playing those more than Goodman and Miller. And from the 50s I can only think of Davis, Monk, Coltrane, Gordon and the likes.

And I still do think that jazz is not completely taken over by white musicians, as is the case with some other styles.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2015 04:32

Excellent posts Rockee. My admiration for Bill Wyman just climbed a couple notches. Great story.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 23, 2015 05:37

A point I haven't seen made really is that the Stones were making their OWN music jumping from the inspiration of primarily African American musicians. They weren't doing a purist thing which I find boring if not offensive. It wasn't a rip off or minstrel show.

All music comes from somewhere else to begin with. The origins of "American" music are as mongrel as its people. The African slaves were taking what they brought with them and adding what they heard from European hymns in church. Later on you throw in C&W, Big Band, Jazz, Folk, as well as Blues to get your R&B and then Rock and Roll. A lot of colors in there. It's not all...um...black and white.

But of course the Stones owe a debt to so many black musicians, which it seems they have never been shy about stating or paying back.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 23, 2015 05:44

Curious as to how the Stones have 'pay[ed] back' black musicians.

What are you referring to?

Olly.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:12

Olly
Curious as to how the Stones have 'pay[ed] back' black musicians.

What are you referring to?

Jeez. As referred to earlier in this thread:

By spreading the word/introducing them to a new wider audience, getting them gigs/appearing with them, recording their songs thereby getting them royalties, overall increasing their record sales and appearance fees. Probably some donations and medical bills paid in there as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-23 06:18 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: September 23, 2015 15:10

LongBeachArena72
There has been a lot of discussion hereabouts recently about The Stones and black music. Some things that we all appear to agree on:

--The band began primarily out of their genuine and oft-expressed love for black American blues music
--They created exposure for many of those artists that those artists wouldn't have otherwise had
--The blues musicians the band idolized probably profited financially in some way from this exposure, though it's unlikely that many of the (primarily) white teenagers who got into The Stones actually bought a lot of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters records
--The Stones have embraced other (primarily) black musical genres, as well (i.e., reggae) and have always (to my knowledge) championed equal rights and fairness (one of the reasons I was so disappointed with Keith's recent remarks on hip-hop was because they stood in such opposition to his band's historical love for and support of black music)

Now, some observations of mine, that may be less universally agreed-upon:

--The Stones have never been particularly popular amongst black Americans (in fairness, few "rock" bands have been)
--It's unclear exactly how many of the black American blues artists really felt about The Stones; you can find testimonials; you can also find examples of resentment
--The Stones have over the years created racial controversy ("Brown Sugar," "Some Girls," some of Mick's vocal deliveries, e.g.)

I know there is a scholarly book-length manuscript waiting to be written about the band's complex relationship with black America in general, and black music in particular. But, we can pipe off here on this board in the meantime. What is your position regarding the band and black America or black music?

For example, much has been made of the "roll" in "rock'n'roll" when discussing The Stones. Do--or did--The Stones really sound "black," in the rhythmic sense that most people mean when they emphasize the "roll"? I would posit that anyone who thinks The Stones sound black hasn't heard Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, or The Meters, but is there a sense in which they do?

In 1965, black author, critic, and poet Leroi Jones wrote:

"What is the difference between the Beatles, Stones etc, and Minstrelry? Minstrels never convinced anybody they were black, either."

That's probably true ... but does it matter? Did The Stones' appropriation of the musical styles of black American musicians somehow represent an exploitative take-the-money-and-run approach ... or was it a loving tribute?

For the purposes of full disclosure, I'm about as WASP-y as you can get and so in my opinion my views on these issues are going to be FAR less interesting than those of any black posters who may be on this board.

Hi Long Beach,

Interesting questions. Here are my thoughts. I have always dug the Stones since 1969. Most of my friends did, especially in comparison to the Beatles during the early times.Still wondering why I like Brown Sugar. It is racist and sexist but it gets my my toe tapping and finger snapping. I am positive the Stones are not racist. Just young at the time they wrote those lyrics about interracial sex. Both Micks have black children. Most African Americans during that time were living through the civil rights movement, black power movements, etc. African Americans were not interested in the blues or having the blues. It was a time for fresh new music. Motown had emerged and taken the country by storm. It was music blacks and whites enjoyed and you could dance to it.Blues music was dying by that time and older people that were familiar with the blues genre would still listen. A little before Motown was Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly and after that music became more upbeat and appealed to young people that found the blues depressing. I believe the Stones loved that music and wanted to share it with the rest of the world that did not know what they were missing. Black folks had enough of being blue. It was sort of old and what their parents listened to. As times change so does music. In 2015 in Black communities that has changed. Personally I do not like rap or hip hop. IN the beginning when people were making political and social commentary i did enjoy some of it. Blues has turned into R&B with talentless people that no longer play acoustic musical instruments and producer made artists that have little or no talent but can sell millions of records by mass media marketing. There is still jazz an original form of American music that all races agree on and love!

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 23, 2015 17:22

stonesrule
I highly recommend FEEL LIKE GOING HOME and LOST HIGHWAY, both by
Peter Guralnick, who really knows his stuff. Both books will be out
in EBook format later this year.

Guralnick is one of the few writers who got close to Muddy and other blues greats.

Don't forget to read up on and listen to Son House.

Agree on both points. Great books (read them both years ago and remember being mucho impressed). Son House - particularly early Son House - is really deep blues as she should be played. He was the real deal. His "rediscovery" recordings - including the live stuff - weren't quite the same calibre, but had their moments. By then, booze was taking its toll and he had to be taught how to play his old material as he had forgotten over the intervening years.

Date: September 23, 2015 18:09

teleblaster
Son House - particularly early Son House - is really deep blues as she should be played. He was the real deal.

What does that mean? Son House would probably be the first to say there are no rules.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: September 23, 2015 21:19

LongBeachArena72
stewedandkeefed
Virtually every genre of music that has originated in black America has been popularized by whites (for the white audience) from Elvis Presley on down. Look at rap/hip-hop - it took the Beastie Boys and Eminem to truly breakthrough with the white audience.

I think that while this may be true, it might also require a bit of an asterisk.

In the blues field, in spite of the exposure given the black "originals" by bands like The Stones, those original musicians never topped the charts, in most cases never got rich, never became as popular as the white musicians who "popularized" their music.

In hip-hop and jazz I don't think this is the case.

While it's true that Eminem and The Beasties may have "pushed" rap over into mainstream acceptance by whites, the men and women who over time sold the most records and got the most critical accolades were, generally speaking, black. It's hard to believe that Public Enemy, N.W.A., De La Soul, Cypress Hill, Dr Dre, The Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, 2Pac, Jay-Z, Outkast, and Kanye West wouldn't have been wildly successful had they not gotten a boost from The Beasties and Eminem.

I think it's a slightly less clear cut case in jazz. It's possible that if you did an exhaustive review of the jazz charts over the past 75 years you might find that white artists continued to outsell black artists. But I think it's also safe to say that there are FAR more black jazz-men and -women who are commonly thought to be in the highest levels of the music's critical pantheon than there are white musicians.

I just don't think that black artists in those two fields continued to labor in the kind of obscurity that black blues musicians did.

I entirely accept the premise of your critique.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 23, 2015 22:03

In the 1920s/30s the leader of one of the most popular dance bands in the country was referred to by the media
as "the King of Jazz": Paul Whiteman. Right: White Man. If you're interested in how popular music evolved
in the last century (+/- a decade or two), you really really gots to read Elijah Wald's book How the Beatles Destroyed Rock & Roll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-24 13:22 by with sssoul.

Date: September 24, 2015 08:26

PhillyFAN
LongBeachArena72
There has been a lot of discussion hereabouts recently about The Stones and black music. Some things that we all appear to agree on:

--The band began primarily out of their genuine and oft-expressed love for black American blues music
--They created exposure for many of those artists that those artists wouldn't have otherwise had
--The blues musicians the band idolized probably profited financially in some way from this exposure, though it's unlikely that many of the (primarily) white teenagers who got into The Stones actually bought a lot of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters records
--The Stones have embraced other (primarily) black musical genres, as well (i.e., reggae) and have always (to my knowledge) championed equal rights and fairness (one of the reasons I was so disappointed with Keith's recent remarks on hip-hop was because they stood in such opposition to his band's historical love for and support of black music)

Now, some observations of mine, that may be less universally agreed-upon:

--The Stones have never been particularly popular amongst black Americans (in fairness, few "rock" bands have been)
--It's unclear exactly how many of the black American blues artists really felt about The Stones; you can find testimonials; you can also find examples of resentment
--The Stones have over the years created racial controversy ("Brown Sugar," "Some Girls," some of Mick's vocal deliveries, e.g.)

I know there is a scholarly book-length manuscript waiting to be written about the band's complex relationship with black America in general, and black music in particular. But, we can pipe off here on this board in the meantime. What is your position regarding the band and black America or black music?

For example, much has been made of the "roll" in "rock'n'roll" when discussing The Stones. Do--or did--The Stones really sound "black," in the rhythmic sense that most people mean when they emphasize the "roll"? I would posit that anyone who thinks The Stones sound black hasn't heard Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, or The Meters, but is there a sense in which they do?

In 1965, black author, critic, and poet Leroi Jones wrote:

"What is the difference between the Beatles, Stones etc, and Minstrelry? Minstrels never convinced anybody they were black, either."

That's probably true ... but does it matter? Did The Stones' appropriation of the musical styles of black American musicians somehow represent an exploitative take-the-money-and-run approach ... or was it a loving tribute?

For the purposes of full disclosure, I'm about as WASP-y as you can get and so in my opinion my views on these issues are going to be FAR less interesting than those of any black posters who may be on this board.

Hi Long Beach,

Interesting questions. Here are my thoughts. I have always dug the Stones since 1969. Most of my friends did, especially in comparison to the Beatles during the early times.Still wondering why I like Brown Sugar. It is racist and sexist but it gets my my toe tapping and finger snapping. I am positive the Stones are not racist. Just young at the time they wrote those lyrics about interracial sex. Both Micks have black children. Most African Americans during that time were living through the civil rights movement, black power movements, etc. African Americans were not interested in the blues or having the blues. It was a time for fresh new music. Motown had emerged and taken the country by storm. It was music blacks and whites enjoyed and you could dance to it.Blues music was dying by that time and older people that were familiar with the blues genre would still listen. A little before Motown was Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly and after that music became more upbeat and appealed to young people that found the blues depressing. I believe the Stones loved that music and wanted to share it with the rest of the world that did not know what they were missing. Black folks had enough of being blue. It was sort of old and what their parents listened to. As times change so does music. In 2015 in Black communities that has changed. Personally I do not like rap or hip hop. IN the beginning when people were making political and social commentary i did enjoy some of it. Blues has turned into R&B with talentless people that no longer play acoustic musical instruments and producer made artists that have little or no talent but can sell millions of records by mass media marketing. There is still jazz an original form of American music that all races agree on and love!

Thanks, PhillyFAN, for your thoughts. Your post, especially the bolded parts above, reminded me of some of my own experiences. I got into The Stones in the early 70's, and the only black music I was into at that time was Motown. Like many Stones fans, I went backward and bought a few records by the people that inspired the band itself: Muddy, Chuck Berry, Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, a few others. And while I could see where things came from, none of it ever really moved me, to be honest. I may have gone around claiming to have "dug the blues," at least for a while, but I never really connected with it that all that much.

So, at least for me, it wasn't a case of The Stones helping create a new wave of fans for those original blues artists. I liked them ok, but I didn't spend much time developing a love for the form ... there was too much fun to be had moving forward into glam, metal, punk, and hip-hop!

Date: September 24, 2015 11:23

Could we turn this around and ask what had happened with the blues and the black blues greats if the Stones and other bands hadn't turned the american public on to their music?

Date: September 24, 2015 11:45

longbeach - i think a lot of genuine blues fanatics were created as well.

dandelion - naturally we will never know. i tend to think that cream (no pun with the band intended!) always rises to the top, and so it was inevitable for blues to get the recognition.

however, i'm not sure it's a good idea to turn the question around in the way you suggest - because in the hypothetical you cite, there would have been no stones at all ... as things turned out, the blues helped the stones and the stones helped the bluesmen, everyone benefitted. a great story really.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home