Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Jagger on George Bush
Posted by: ADRIAN_L ()
Date: August 9, 2005 15:25

taken from NME.COM

THE ROLLING STONES accuse US President GEORGE W BUSH of being "full of sh*t" on their new album.

The track ’Sweet Neo Con’, one of the tracks on the forthcoming ’A Bigger Bang’, was already known to be fiercely anti-Bush.

However, frontman Mick Jagger's disdain for the American leader has now been confirmed, with Rolling Stones singer revealing some of the lyrics in an interview with Newsweek.

But the singer has revealed that guitarist Keith Richards, who lives in the US, is a bit worried about the direct nature of the words.

An extract from ’Sweet Neo Con’ features the following lines: "You call yourself a Christian, I call you u a hypocrite/You call yourself a patriot, well I think you're full of sh*t."

Jagger said of the track: “It is direct. Keith said: ‘It's not really metaphorical.’

”I think he’s a bit worried because he lives in the US. But I don’t.”

’A Bigger Bang’ is released on September 5 and is preceded by the single, ’Streets Of Love’ on August 22. The band begin their forthcoming world tour in Boston on August 21.

Re: Jagger on George Bush
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 9, 2005 15:30

I doubt ol dubbya will be quaking in his boots but it's nice to see Jagger having abit of a go!
I doubt very much whether Keef really gives a toss....

Date: August 9, 2005 15:40

I heard that it was about Condoleezza Rice.

Con - as in "con-man".

Con - as in Condoleezza?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-09 15:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 9, 2005 15:52

as the lyrics dont mention Bush by name and Jagger hasnt said its about him, its merely speculation on the writer's part as to who its about.

The title of the song would suggest it's more likely to be about Ms. Rice.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: August 9, 2005 16:10

Well it might refer to both of them,Bush and Rice.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 9, 2005 16:16

Very much possible indeed stones_serb. :-)

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 9, 2005 16:36

Perhaps it's about Condi's Bush. (Sorry, just couldn't resist)

Condi, BTW, gives me a tingly feeling down below. Just wanted to share that.

Karl

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 9, 2005 16:38

Yes, but the 'con' doesn not refer to Condoleeza, but to 'conservative'. Neocon is word used to describe these type peoples.
I think it's pretty obvious it's about Bush and his administration of hoods. Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheney...

Posted by: ADRIAN_L ()
Date: August 9, 2005 16:43

apparently, Ms Rice is a bit of a pianist.

Who knows, if Chuck ever came down with the flu...

Date: August 9, 2005 17:10

whatever
It's a marketing ploy.
If you want your name in the headlines
you write about the war or bash Bush cuz right now it's what sells.
At the same time saying "from the NEW ROLLING STONES record.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 9, 2005 18:14

certainly it's directed at Condi by the fact that it's spelled "Neo Con" as opposed to the conventional spelling of the word. But, by attacking Condi he is attacking the BushCo Admin by association, of course - and as far as I'm concerned that ain't nothing but a good thing....

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: August 9, 2005 19:22

Exactly T&A, and as Rice is one of George's top aides chosen by him, then the criticism clearly reflects on him too. It's great to see a direct attack on the loony Right by Jagger at last as so many people now assume he is a Tory. Interesting role reversal in that Keith is being a bit pansy-like and cautious & Mick doesn't give a shit.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: August 9, 2005 21:17

well said!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 9, 2005 21:55

That's Showbiz!! What better way to start hyping your album/tour? I'm sure all the major news outlets will pick up on the story.

Posted by: robert_stones1 ()
Date: August 10, 2005 05:13

bv ended and removed the last thread that got political as per IORR policy...hopefully that wasn't because both sides of this debate were being represented...

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 10, 2005 06:26

they're doing a piece here in San Francisco tonite on channel 4 at 9pm about the Rolling Stones political "controversy"!

As far as I'm concerned anyone with power of communication to the masses who criticizes the a**holes in power here in the USA is right on! As I'm English, i would hope he'll also throw in a few good words about Blair's conduct too which is pretty buddy buddy with He Who Shall Not Be Named!

It's only rock and roll...

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 10, 2005 09:43

i hope they don't get political, that's what i liked about the stones, they just sang good music, no bullshit..

Date: August 10, 2005 09:52

<Yes, but the 'con' doesn not refer to Condoleeza, but to 'conservative'. Neocon is word used to describe these type peoples.
I think it's pretty obvious it's about Bush and his administration of hoods. Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheney...>

Also described as "The Hawks".

One of the coolest things in the stones' lyrics is the double and triple meaning, which gives us plenty of room for speculation smiling smiley

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: August 10, 2005 14:56

I AM THRILLED AT MICK'S LYRICS AND THE FACT THAT HE HAS THE BALLS TO PUT THE SONG ON THE NEW CD! NOW, LET'S HOPE HE SINGS IT IN CONCERT! BUSH IS AN ASSWIPE AND MICK NAILED IT!

Posted by: Mickschick ()
Date: August 10, 2005 15:26

whatever
It's a marketing ploy.
If you want your name in the headlines
you write about the war or bash Bush cuz right now it's what sells.
At the same time saying "from the NEW ROLLING STONES record.

The above was a message from Donkey Girl Scout...

First, above all....Stones don't need "Marketing Ploys". They sell no matter what! If it were a Marketing Ploy Donkey Girl, don't you think that it would have been the first Single? Maybe the Title of the Album? Come on!

George Bush and his whole administration is a Terrorist Organization. Everyone who reads the papers and watches the NEWS has got to finally know that by now!
Bush is a war monger. And so is the rest of his crew.

Furthermore,I'd have to agree with ChelseaDrugstore.

Neo meaning New, and Con refering to Conservative.

The "new conservative" party in this country-USA- is absolutely destroying it as a free country. So I suppose it has to do with the administration as a whole, Condi Rice, DICK Cheney, George Bush. The lot of them. Thank GOD this administration is almost OVER! There will be a ton of work to reverse all of their distructive policy's but hopefully we can get our freedoms back once these criminals are gone!
I've had just about enough of this 'christian', right wing, self promoting, selfish, discusting, administration!!
They are systematically crippling the United States, they have the whole world hating us. They are PURE EVIL. Terrorist breeders!

Ok Sorry, that is my rant on Bush for the day!

Again, Donkey, No promo needed. Stones fans will always buy their stuff, always go see them PLAY and ALWAYS LOVE THEM!

Rock ON~
Colleen~aka~Mickschick

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 10, 2005 15:40

I think it would be slightly naive in not thinking it was a promotion push as i could be wrong here but down the years there's at most times being some controversy mentioned when the stones have toured or promoted singles & lps imho.

Mickchicks mentions that thier 'term is nearly over' does that administration team have so long and have to pack it in or what as i thought bush only got recently elected and had at leat another four years in office unless something dramiticly happens.

Please exscuse my lack of american politics and what would be the general concensues of michael moore and his theroies about g.bush?

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 10, 2005 15:44

nice publicity stunt.. not that i'm particularly for or against bush, i don't really care. but this put's the stones in the spotlight of other people than fans. they sell, but it's mostly to people who've been a fan for a longer time, they'd want teenagers to get into their music too.

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: August 10, 2005 16:38

Here you have a group that has never gotten into politics I mean they hated the Hippie movement said it themselves. They though it was phoney

Never talked about Vietnam or against it or gainst LBJ who man then tripled the troups there

from 50 000-500,000

Mick is a business man and wants publicity.

kind of pathetic

But love them so savy==ey

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: August 10, 2005 17:27

amazing...when conservatives were sharing their ideas, supporting Bush, and adding actual substantive arguments, bv shut down the thread...now that Bush bashers are in full force...bv let's it go on and on...so much for liberal Europeans being free thinkers and protective of the free exchange of ideas!!!

Shame on you bv!!! Will you keep this thread going if Bush supporters reply to the Bush haters???

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 10, 2005 17:50

This board will be even better in a month, when everybody has the album at home and has listened to the lyrics: I'm waiting for the "Mother of All 'USA vs. Old Europe' Political Battles".

I hope the "No critical posts allowed" section won't be critical about the lyrics of "Sweet NeoCon" neither...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: August 10, 2005 17:59

4tylix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> Shame on you bv!!! Will you keep this thread going
> if Bush supporters reply to the Bush haters???
>

There are still Bush supporters out there?

Date: August 10, 2005 18:03

It's really silly to shut down a thread about a political song because it becomes a political discourse. My point was that if that's going to be the policy, enforce it uniformly, not just when both sides of the debate are present.

I love the Stones even if I don't agree with these particular lyrics. Hard to believe it was a Frenchman (Voltaire) who said "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it"

Is that principle still alive in "Old Europe"? Or has it been replaced with secret terror courts???

Date: August 10, 2005 18:05

yep...he won reelection by a majority of voters who remain dedicated to preserving democracy, just as it did when France fell in two weeks to Nazis and instituted the Vichy government and when Chamberlain appeased @#$%& at Munich!!!

Date: August 10, 2005 18:11

4tylix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yep...he won reelection by a majority of voters
> who remain dedicated to preserving democracy, just
> as it did when France fell in two weeks to Nazis
> and instituted the Vichy government and when
> Chamberlain appeased @#$%& at Munich!!!

oh, brother....wake up and smell the coffee, will ya?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-10 18:12 by T&A.

Date: August 10, 2005 18:14

>oh, brother....wake up and smell the coffee, will ya?

wow...now there's an intellectual reply!!! I'm willing to bet two tickets that you have no idea what the historical reference was about!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home