Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Keith Richards - Under the influence
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2015 09:44

His Majesty
A better point to highlight would be that in 1966 The Rolling Stones were one of the few UK bands
to have a member of the band play unusual, for rock, instruments.

Members even!

- working on Ruby Tuesday, November 1966 by Tom Keylock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 09:45 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2015 09:51

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
+ several other english bands (not just the Beatles) were experimenting with unusual instruments at the time. I don't think neither Beatles were first with recording the sitar, for instance.

True, I tried to convey that by saying:

While most all bands and musicians of the period stuck to the traditional rock instruments (Beatles being an exception)...

Not THE exception, but an exception.
The Beatles are the first band that came to mind as an example of that, but I suppose I wasn't clear enough. thumbs up

But did "most british bands" stick to the traditional formula? Seemingly, there was an explosion in discovering new sounds and instruments round 1966.

Bands had to keep up in swinging London, I reckon. Even the Stones started doing pre-psychedelic music hall smiling smiley

Haha well yes there was indeed an explosion of discovering new sounds for sure c.'66, but maybe not so much experimentation with 'unusual' instruments across the board- at least not to the extent that Brian did almost single-handedly within the Stones. Or maybe not quite as successfully as Brian did. For the most part, most rock bands that come to my mind were still utilizing the trad. instruments - guitar, bass, and drums, although better equipment (amps, effects, etc.) certainly played a big part in discovering new/loud sounds. Out of curiosity and all sincerity, other than maybe a flute, sitar, brass, or moog, what other bands do you have in mind that utilized unusual instruments during that period? And did they utilize them successfully. Were they commercially successfull? Or were they just following the current trends, and sounded like alot of other cutting edge/psychedelic bands? I suppose my point is that Brian seemed to be blazing trails and was a pioneer utilizing these unusual instruments. But the question now is could that be because he already had the limelight with the successful Stones which helped him stand out more than others in lesser bands?

Excuse the rambling, but it's close to midnight where I live, and maybe I shouldn't be filling my head with so many questions before I get some sleep lol...I'll probably have dreams of sitars with feedback, backwards guitar licks, moaning moog synths., and a brass section made up of millions marching to their own beat.cool smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 09:54

It wasn't just the British bands, although it mostly was. But Velvet Underground experimented. They had a Viola way back in '64!

Date: October 7, 2015 11:05

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
+ several other english bands (not just the Beatles) were experimenting with unusual instruments at the time. I don't think neither Beatles were first with recording the sitar, for instance.

While most all bands and musicians of the period stuck to the traditional rock instruments (Beatles being an exception)...

The Beatles are the first band that came to mind as an example of that, but I suppose I wasn't clear enough. thumbs up

But did "most british bands" stick to the traditional formula? Seemingly, there was an explosion in discovering new sounds and instruments round 1966.

Bands had to keep up in swinging London, I reckon. Even the Stones started doing pre-psychedelic music hall smiling smiley

Haha well yes there was indeed an explosion of discovering new sounds for sure c.'66, but maybe not so much experimentation with 'unusual' instruments across the board- at least not to the extent that Brian did almost single-handedly within the Stones. Or maybe not quite as successfully as Brian did. For the most part, most rock bands that come to my mind were still utilizing the trad. instruments - guitar, bass, and drums, although better equipment (amps, effects, etc.) certainly played a big part in discovering new/loud sounds. Out of curiosity and all sincerity, other than maybe a flute, sitar, brass, or moog, what other bands do you have in mind that utilized unusual instruments during that period? And did they utilize them successfully. Were they commercially successfull? Or were they just following the current trends, and sounded like alot of other cutting edge/psychedelic bands? I suppose my point is that Brian seemed to be blazing trails and was a pioneer utilizing these unusual instruments. But the question now is could that be because he already had the limelight with the successful Stones which helped him stand out more than others in lesser bands?

Excuse the rambling, but it's close to midnight where I live, and maybe I shouldn't be filling my head with so many questions before I get some sleep lol...I'll probably have dreams of sitars with feedback, backwards guitar licks, moaning moog synths., and a brass section made up of millions marching to their own beat.cool smiley

No probs, Hairball, I just find this era very interesting. And I'm sure His Majesty knows a lot more about the bands than I do.

But I know that the Yardbirds (Hearts Full Of Soul) and The Kinks (See My Friends) were pretty early with adding sitar-sounding stuff to their songs, introducing the term «raga rock». That means that a transition had already begun before Harrison took the full step and added that exclusive instrument in a pop song.

Pink Floyd was also thinking in different veins musically + many other bands in the UK. By Aftermath/Between The Buttons, the Stones probably felt they HAD TO spice up their songs with unusual instruments.

I agree about how Brian and George made those instrument sound, as well as the impact they managed to make on their records, compared to many others, though.

This is the Kinks, more than a year prior to it all, in 1965 – playing psychedelic-sounding stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 7, 2015 13:11

with sssoul
His Majesty
A better point to highlight would be that in 1966 The Rolling Stones were one of the few UK bands
to have a member of the band play unusual, for rock, instruments.

Members even!

- working on Ruby Tuesday, November 1966 by Tom Keylock

Indeed. grinning smileythumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 7, 2015 14:43

When will this documentary be on TV in Europe?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2015 17:48

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

No probs, Hairball, I just find this era very interesting. And I'm sure His Majesty knows a lot more about the bands than I do.

But I know that the Yardbirds (Hearts Full Of Soul) and The Kinks (See My Friends) were pretty early with adding sitar-sounding stuff to their songs, introducing the term «raga rock». That means that a transition had already begun before Harrison took the full step and added that exclusive instrument in a pop song.

Pink Floyd was also thinking in different veins musically + many other bands in the UK. By Aftermath/Between The Buttons, the Stones probably felt they HAD TO spice up their songs with unusual instruments.

I agree about how Brian and George made those instrument sound, as well as the impact they managed to make on their records, compared to many others, though.

This is the Kinks, more than a year prior to it all, in 1965 – playing psychedelic-sounding stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

Good stuff, and I also find that era interesting in many ways. thumbs up

I think His Majesty summed it all up rather succinctly with:

"A better point to highlight would be that in 1966 The Rolling Stones were one of the few UK bands to have a member of the band play unusual, for rock, instruments".

And there I was last night rambling and babbling away in need of sleep and past my bedtime .... smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 7, 2015 19:39

I think part of the motivation for playing some of these unusual instruments were that they were sitting around these top tier recording studios screaming to be played. What musician doesn't take interest in an unusual instrument sitting in the corner of the studio during a recording session?

I wonder in the Stones brought instruments like the marimba to the studio or they were already there? I also wonder where the actual marimba Brian used for Under My Thumb is today. In a private collection or part of a set of studio instruments collecting dust somewhere? Probably worth a small fortune if it could be proved Brian used it on that song.

Date: October 7, 2015 20:03

Naturalust
I think part of the motivation for playing some of these unusual instruments were that they were sitting around these top tier recording studios screaming to be played. What musician doesn't take interest in an unusual instrument sitting in the corner of the studio during a recording session?

I wonder in the Stones brought instruments like the marimba to the studio or they were already there? I also wonder where the actual marimba Brian used for Under My Thumb is today. In a private collection or part of a set of studio instruments collecting dust somewhere? Probably worth a small fortune if it could be proved Brian used it on that song.

Instruments like marimba, vibraphone, double bass, concert harp etc were for sure left over from other sessions.

Dulcimer, sitar, recorder were Brian's own instruments. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 20:30 by His Majesty.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 7, 2015 20:13

Thanks for sharing the picture of Bill & Keith playing that bass. I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of that and, if I did, I certainly never noticed that there are only three strings on it. The bass player in me wonders why...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 7, 2015 20:22

His Majesty
Instruments like marimba, vibraphone were for sure they were left over from other sessions. Dulcimer, sitar, reorder were Brian's own instruments. smiling smiley

Still begs the question, where is that famous marimba now?

Date: October 7, 2015 21:16

Naturalust
His Majesty
Instruments like marimba, vibraphone were for sure they were left over from other sessions. Dulcimer, sitar, reorder were Brian's own instruments. smiling smiley

On Matt's computer...

Date: October 7, 2015 21:48

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
His Majesty

On Matt's computer...

Hah! grinning smiley

Date: October 7, 2015 23:42

I repeat my question (I've known this picture of Bill and KR for years) : When will this docu be on TV in Europe or available on DVD?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:43

RipThisBone
I repeat my question (I've known this picture of Bill and KR for years) : When will this docu be on TV in Europe or available on DVD?

You don't have Netflix?

Date: October 8, 2015 00:04

RipThisBone

Buy a chromecast stick, put it in your HDMI input on your tv, buy a Netflix subscription and then it becomes available on tv in Europe...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 8, 2015 00:23

RipThisBone

Bliss posted the link on page 2 (if you mean Under the Influence)
[putlocker.is]

I also posted how to save the file.

Date: October 8, 2015 00:30

Thank you. I have other interests too and am not into computers at all.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 8, 2015 08:53

RipThisBone
I repeat my question (I've known this picture of Bill and KR for years) :
When will this docu be on TV in Europe or available on DVD?

... How did my post of the picture get involved with asking when the documentary is coming out on DVD?
It's a mystery.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home