Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Prine...one last comment
Posted by: mark ()
Date: August 8, 2005 20:38

Sorry to harp on this but as I have professed next to the Stones I can not reccommend a better night of music and a man than a night with John Prine. I thought you might like a glance at some excerts of a review of the show I attended:

First Comments: "Five Stars, Full Marks, Best In Show" followed by "spectacular display of songwriting genius, playful interplay and exempalary musicianship" quickly backed up with "concert of the year" and "hum-dinger of a party". And that was all from the first two sentances.

Why John Prine?

a) unlike any performer(s) I know there is not a song in his 35 year career fans would not be happy to hear, So the review says of the 2.5 hour show "not a second of it was anything less than revelatory"

b) songs are recreated faithfully because the lyrics and guitar bits are etched into fans souls, so the review says "fans were completely in the moment, anticipating Prine's next move even before he did it.

c) the crouds are like no others I have experienced in over 45 years of taking in venues. Because his music is part of the heart and sould of fans you feel you can talk to him as if he was in your living room, which some would call rude at a live show but when it's time to have your heart ripped out fans know when to shut up, the review says "rowdy and rambunctious, but completely respectful of the legend they paid to see".

d) John Prine is just too real a "Man", you go and see and hear the "man", the review says "In Person Prine is dead funny, in an awshucks type of way".

e) you can not discuss John without drawing comparisons to Dylan (remenmber the concert of the year review, Dylan played three weeks ago). For my money the two most prolific songwriters of my day...but that is the end of the similarities. Where Dylan to me writes about either nothing relevent at all (his words folks not mine) or lyrics that can be interprited buy anyone to have different meanings Prine just writes about life, in English, from the heart and soul. You know and feel the characters in his songs, the places, the smells, the sounds. You can quote him on any subject. Just the otherday my girlfriend said start up the BBQ and through on some sausages and I said "and they were sizzl'in", went over her head until that line came up in a very moving moment in Lake Marie, she turned to me now knowing my refference to sizzling sausages. The review says "his lyrics as always slayed the audience with pinpoint accuracy", "sentimental songs triumphed", "poignant Ode about the realities of aging", "it was the tragic breakup song Far From Me that cut deepest", of the solo portion of the show it was written "six song masterstroke".

As far as songwriting goes you can lean towards the poetic, eclectic side or the in you heart and soul smack me with real life. John Prine is the latter. The kind of guy you would like to sip beers with, you owe him your soul because he has inspired it for 35 years.

The last part of the review " The night offered plenty of humor, warmth and emotion, vital ingredients the recent arena concert by Prine's idol, Bob Dylan, lacked in spades. This just in, Bob. The times, they are indeed a-changin."

Want to see what your soul is missing, he's crossing the Atlantic. My last word on the subject.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1406
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home