Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Richard Thompson at The Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool. Tuesday 8th September, 2015.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: September 10, 2015 11:38

Hello,

Fourth time for me seeing 'the guitarist's guitarist', although that moniker is often-used for Jeff Beck too, so frankly who knows?

There's nothing much left to add about how great a guitarist RT is...still, and dear knows I ain't qualified to voice an opinion either, hah-hah! It's fine enough to hear him solo but place two more talents with him and it is sublime...plus he seems to get as big a kick out of his bandmates' grooves'n'moves as we do.

The man used mostly Strats with one Tele excursion, apart from a couple of unaccompanied acoustic numbers: when his bandmates left the stage he joked in a stage whisper that it was a "union thing...always comes down to the money!". He and they plainly loved being on stage...I don't think you can completely dial that in, can you?

He also took delight in finishing off a couple of numbers with crunching power-chords complete with PT-style leap. Good air too, almost on a par with The Master, hah-hah!

Michael Jerome on the drums is fascinating to listen to and watch...perpetual motion but not too bombastic. Bit rich that coming from a Who-fan, right?
On bass is Taras Prodaniuk: both these guys played a couple of solos which sounded extraordinary. Do yourselves a big favour and go see!

How about this for a setlist? I particularly loved 'Guitar Heroes'...looking forward to hearing the new LP, 'Still'. Yeah, whenever you're ready Amazon, ahem...

That's Enough
Sally B
All Buttoned Up
Broken Doll
For Shame of Doing Wrong
Hard on Me
Genesis Hall
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
Beatnik Walking
Al Bowlly's in Heaven
Guitar Heroes
Did She Jump or Was She Pushed?
I'll Never Give It Up
Wall of Death
If Love Whispers Your Name

Encore 1:

Patty Don't You Put Me Down
Tear Stained Letter

Encore 2:

Dry My Tears and Move On
Fork in the Road
Daddy Rolling Stone

Cheers,

Simon.

ps here's a fascinating recent interview with Mr T.: [www.pastemagazine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-10 13:41 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Richard Thompson at The Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool. Tuesday 8th September, 2015.
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2015 12:45

Great pix and write up Simon. Good to see For Shame Of Doing Wrong and Genesis Hall in there. Oh, and Daddy Rolling Stone too.

Re: O/T Richard Thompson at The Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool. Tuesday 8th September, 2015.
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 10, 2015 13:28

Thanks for the review & pix, Simon. I'm now looking forward even more to seeing him next week.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 12, 2015 17:22

Great pix - as always! - thanks, SimonN.

Haven't been listening to much of his newer stuff, but saw him once back in
the eighties in Bochum with Christine Collister and Clive Gregson, a great concert!

In case you're interested, the show from the next day in Salford is up on DIME:

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Similar setlist: no Genesis Hall, but Meet On The Ledge

Richard Thompson - guitar & vocal
Davey Farragher - bass
Michael Jerome - drums

That's Enough features the Rails (James Walbourne (gtr/vox) and Kami Thompson (vox))
Guitar heroes features Bobby Icon on acoustic guitar

01. That's Enough
02. All Buttoned Up
03. Sally B
04. Broken Doll
05. For Shame of Doing Wrong
06. Hard On Me
07. Salford Sunday (solo)
08. Meet on the Ledge (solo)
09. Vincent Black Lightning 1952 (solo)
10. Beatnik Walking
11. Al Bowlly's In Heaven
12. Guitar Heroes
13. Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed?
14. I'll Never Give It Up
15. Wall of Death
16. Love Whispers Your Name
17. Patty Don't You Put Me Down
18. Tear Stained Letter
19. Dry My Tears and Move On
20. Fork in the Road
21. Daddy Rolling Stone

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home