Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Andy Hoogenboom RIP
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 7, 2015 14:39

I'm sad to report the sudden and unexpected death of Andy Hoogenboom.

Andy was one of the early Blues musicians in the orbit of Cyril Davis and Alexis Korner.

He introduced Shirley to Charlie Watts and was Best Man at their (secret) wedding, and had been good friends ever since.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: Andy Hoogenboom RIP
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 7, 2015 15:50

Sad. May he R.I.P

I wasn't aware of him until today.

[www.cyrildavies.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 8, 2015 00:52

According to Felix Aeppli, recordings exist of Charlie playing with Andy Hoogenboom from the early sixties.

6001A Early 1960s - London: BLUES BY FIVE (home recordings by Geoff Bradford): 1. Blues in F (Basie?),
2. What Will Little Lucy Do (?), 3. Young Fashioned Ways (Dixon)
CW: drums; Geoff Bradford: guitar; Brian Knight: vocals (2, 3); Andy Hoogenboom: double bass;
Keith Scott: piano.

[aeppli.ch]

Geoff Bradford was one of the first people that Brian Jones approached when he was trying to form a band. Sadly he died in March 2014.
[michaelmesser.proboards.com]
[www.cyrildavies.com]

More here:
[www.eddybonte.be]

RIP

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 01:14 by Deltics.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:22

Andy Hoogenboom on bass with Blues Incorporated. Charlie Watts on drums.

"(Seeing this photo again) gave me a good giggle. That was the day Alexis produced the 'band uniform' (with) kind of (a) purple stripe trouser. Charlie refused to wear them on the grounds that they were hideous. At the time they were the best trousers I had! Alexis was very keen to get recording work for the band. Record company people started having a lot to say about gigs and personnel. I was replaced by Spike Heatley, a well known jazz bassist, and shortly after that Charlie was replaced by Ginger Baker. Brian Knight approached a few people and we formed Blues By Six, playing at Ken Colyer's club and gigging wherever we could."
[www.cyrildavies.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 01:30 by Deltics.

Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: September 8, 2015 04:24

Very sad to hear. Andy remained great friends with Charlie his whole life. They can be seen together at the 2012 Ealing Club celebration (Blue Plaque for Alexis & Cyril) at 00:01:03 entering the club in this clip

Andy showed me many of the sketches, etc. that he made of the Stones members when they were recording Bridges From Babylon. He was a helleva an artist and a helleva nice guy. RIP Andy.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 8, 2015 09:02

ChicagoCalling

Andy showed me many of the sketches, etc. that he made of the Stones members when they were recording Bridges From Babylon. He was a helleva an artist and a helleva nice guy. RIP Andy.

I have read an account (not written by Andy, he was too busy sketching) of the week that Andy spent with The Stones when he made those sketches.

One thing that comes across is how darned NICE The Stones were to their guests that week.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 8, 2015 11:31

I remember looking at photos and smiling that the bass player had such a great name.
Love & light to him

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2252
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home