Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

question for guitar players
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 7, 2005 22:52

Having "messed around" with an acoustic guitar for years. I've decided to take the plunge and would like to buy an electric........I NEED HELP !

I have had a go on my 10 yo son's SG COPY WITH MARSHALL PRACTICE AMP ,but I find the sound either too clean or too distorted / "angry" if you know what I mean ?

My budget (and lowly skill level) will only stretch to a Squire type guitar

Could somebody help me with the following;

Is there a big difference in sound between the small Marshall and Fender amps ?

Even though I realise that the Strat Squire is more versatile ,I am of course attracted to Telecasters because of their Keith ,Muddy etc. associations.

Is the Fat Tele a good buy ,with it's neck Humbucker or should I go for a standard model.

Other variations include the Custom, which is a hybrid of a 72 custom and Deluxe having 2 Humbuckers with individual controls - looks good ,but will it sound like a Tele at all ?

Should I be sensible or should I go with my gut feeling and get a fat Tele /Fender amp.

This is my 40th birtday present from my better half,so I want to get it right !

PS - I won't be looking to play in public (I'm not that cruel !)

any advice greatly recieved.

straycatuk

Re: question for guitar players
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 8, 2005 00:04

I would go with the Tele/Fender amp combo. Always like the sound of it!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 8, 2005 00:34

Keith use Fender amps. I don't like Marshall that much - feedback and noise is what you get. I play Hughes and Ketter, like it a lot, it gives you the perfect Rolling Stones sound.

Posted by: Bone Machine ()
Date: August 8, 2005 04:46

Yeah, the fender/tele combo or I'M not sure if Mesa/Boogie still makes a small amp, but they have a nice sound.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 8, 2005 12:54

I agree with you on Marshalls - I generally don't like the sound of these (except some early models). The practice amps they do are particularly bad sounding.

I don't think you need to worry too much about what guitar you get - most squires or epiphones will be fine for what you want. Just try several out and decide on the one you like the sound and feel of. (Don't just buy a guitar because someone on this forum says so - what's right for them wouldn't necessarily be best for you.)

The most important elements of your sound will be a combination of two major factors - the type of pickup and the amplifier.

You may want to consider buying a tele custom type guitar because then you get the best of both worlds - a fat humbucker on the neck pickup and a twangy single coil on the bridge. I think I recently saw a squire version of a custom in a guitar shop so look out for this one. The Mexican Fenders are also very good value for money (about 1/2 price of USA Fender), but may be out of your price range. I personally stick clear of Fenders which only have humbuckers, but that's my opinion. Also consider looking for a 2nd hand guitar to get more for your money.

I find that the Fender non-valve amps don't sound particularly good (although better than Marshall). I therefore think you might consider buying a 2nd hand amp and getting a decent valve amp rather than a fizzy sounding transister amp. Again, try lots of different makes and models out in your local shop to get an idea about the range of sounds available. Even try out some top range amps just to give you a benchmark to judge the cheaper amps against. Remember though, if you buy a valve amp you would need to turn it up to make it "break up". Therefore, this may not be the best option for you at this time (at least if you don't want a divorce).

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 8, 2005 14:37

I use all Fender, the amp of the Showman type.
I play a Fender Stratocaster rather than a Tele; with my strat I can produce a tele sound which is impossible the other way around...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 8, 2005 15:51

I have recently tried a Fender Frontman FM 212. Thats Transistor - but wow, the sound is nearly Fender Twin like, for 1/4 of the price.
The frontman series starts off with 15 Watts for 79,-€ here in Germany. They all have Headphone out jacks winking smiley IMO Marshall Amps are horrible.
A Squire Tele with 1 Humbucker in the neck position should be fine - but needs to be gut tested in the shop. If you feel comfortable with it - get it. Make sure you also test a standard Tele.
Happy rockin' birthday

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 8, 2005 16:07

Open G, Tell me where I can get a Fender Twin for 320 Euros and I'll be there! smiling smiley

Date: August 8, 2005 16:24

Well -I'd be there before yousmiling smiley
No, you're referring to the price of the FM15.
The FM 212 (100watt) is around 265,-€ wich is less than 1/4 for a Twin.
A twin comes for about 1500,- €
cheers

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: August 8, 2005 18:13

Thanks for all the great advice!

Looks like I'll be down the music shops at the weekend..........NOW HOW DO I NOT MAKE A FOOL OF MYSELF ?

Brown Sugar ,JJF OR smoke on the water ?

How is ebay for s/hand guitars ?

Date: August 9, 2005 20:57

HOW DO I MAKE A FOOL OF MYSELF ?
Smoke on the water and Stairway to Heaven will work perfectly winking smiley

You usually can't put your hands on the Guitar from ebay - so I think it's very risky

Posted by: letitbleed ()
Date: August 10, 2005 05:00

If you can get one, the Japanese made Squire's from the 80's are quite good. Rosewood neck's seem to play nicely. Depending on your budget, a Marshall amp is good if it's one of their more simple older models. Tubes are the way to go for my taste. Solid state will eventually sound like an FM radio station.
There are some Flea Markets that you will find older Fender heads, like a Bassman for example. Don't be boxed into thinking that a guitar needs a guitar amp. Some of those old Fender tube amps sound great with a guitar and a couple of cheap speakers. If you can get a Fender Reverb go for it. You can't beat the sound or the power.Warn your neighbors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home