Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones In The Late 70's
Posted by: middayrambler ()
Date: August 25, 2015 05:23

Hi all, first time post!!

I've been wondering, what you guys here think about the live versions of certain songs in the late 70's? I love the renditions of "Get Off Of My Cloud", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", "It's Only Rock n' Roll" and "Brown Sugar".

These songs sounded so awesome in Love You Live and Live at L. A. Forum, and the piano fills by Billy Preston were very properly played.

Re: The Stones In The Late 70's
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 05:28

I liked them better in 87-88

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 05:33

middayrambler

I've been wondering, what you guys here think about the live versions of certain songs in the late 70's? I love the renditions of "Get Off Of My Cloud", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", "It's Only Rock n' Roll" and "Brown Sugar".

These songs sounded so awesome in Love You Live and Live at L. A. Forum, and the piano fills by Billy Preston were very properly played.

I love that raggedy Stones era, it is all part of the Stones lore.

Welcome to IORR

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:14

Love how loose they were at this time. Some of the Chuck Berry numbers really rocked!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:22

BS during the tour of 1972 was fantastic. Anyway I like LYL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 20:27 by pepganzo.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:25

middayrambler

always loved the version of "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" on Love You Live

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:30

The Stones In The Late 70's ?

Dunno - they're 53 now, still a quarter century until then .... winking smiley

Posted by: OldSoul ()
Date: August 26, 2015 05:54

I love the 76 European leg of that tour. The 75 American leg, not as much, but still like it. The 76 shows were really stripped down - I love that sound. If any of the Paris shows ever get a CD/DVD release, they'll be my go to.

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:05

The sound of the guitars on LYL is (and always was) a killer sound! Especially Keith´s open tuned Zemaitis, but also his Telecasters. And Ronnie´s got a killer sound, too, especially on YCAGWYW & You Gotta Move, but also on Tumbling Dice, Hot Stuff and Happy.
They never sounded that before or after.Even 1975 sounds a bit different. I don´t know why, maybe it´s got something to do with (analog tape) compression.

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: August 26, 2015 12:56

Well, as much as I love the 75/76 tours, I would consider that to be the mid 70s. As for the actual late 70s, that to me is the height of the Rolling Stones. Some Girls, Emotional Rescue (most underrated album by the way), and more than enough outtakes from these sessions for an excellent third or maybe even fourth album. And on top of everything, the late 70s (especially the 1978 tour) was the absolute peak of Bill and Charlie as a rhythm section.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 26, 2015 19:00

Technically that's the mid 70s, really, since it's 75-76. SOME GIRLS is late 70s and at least LIVE IN TEXAS is absolutely killer. Way mo' better than anything on LOVE YOU LIVE.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 27, 2015 03:10

From 78 to Dirty Work the band was awful.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:53

Yep, We only got Some Girls and TY

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:19

Stones50
Yep, We only got Some Girls and TY

Undercover was in there too. Maybe 83 ish. All three great albums. Especially
Tattoo You and Some Girles.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: August 28, 2015 23:26

LYL - far too many overdub to be truly indicative of the bands mid-late 70s sound.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home