Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Do your Family members like the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 24, 2015 06:15

brothers love them. 89 year old mother likes certain songs. wife and kids not so much although the kids had big grins on their faces the entire show i brought them to 2 years ago in Boston. its hard living with a die hard.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 08:07

My wife yes, even before i knew her. My 10 years old son yes. I brought him at circo massimo For the 1st time . My parents and sisters cannot care less

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 24, 2015 16:19

Turner68
I'm not even sure I like the Rolling Stones.

for someone who has written about them as much as you, that's understandable..

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 24, 2015 16:56

This is a great question. I have an older brother and younger sister we're born three years apart.

They love the Stoners but are disappointed that anytime they have attended a recent concert the setlist seems to be "Cookie Cutter."

However, they are loyal fans and listen to the Stones occasionally. My sister and brother also share favorability to Bob Dylan, Four Tops, Teddy Pendergrass, Bowie , Springsteen, Lou Reed, Clash, "Beach Music" etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 17:01 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 24, 2015 18:08

My wife became a convert within minutes of her first 1989 show. Because I always worried there might never be another chance I took my 9 and 10 year old sons to see the Stones in Chicago in 2005. I think they were a bit overwhelmed but we made a family trip back to see them in Chicago in 2013. THAT was one for the books. My wife and sons (now older and more able to digest the spectacle) and Mick Taylor playing CYHMK. Now 18 and 19 I convinced my sons to journey to the Pittsburgh show with me which was on Fathers Day weekend. They were good sports though they prefer Five Finger Death Punch and Animals As Leaders themselves.

The Stones have been the soundtrack to their lives with the younger claiming "Bitch" is the greatest guitar riff ever devised.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 24, 2015 19:13

yes !!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 20:46

duke richardson
Turner68
I'm not even sure I like the Rolling Stones.

for someone who has written about them as much as you, that's understandable..

Sometimes it feels like it's just a job. My contract just got renewed too

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 25, 2015 00:59

My poor parents had no choice but to love them...I played STONES LIVE 24/7 as a high schooler and even earlier. My Dad took my boyfriend & I to the old Boston Garden in July '72 ...Mom came along for the ride and for dinner as did our Irish Setter. I ended up marrying that boyfriend who did an amazing Mick imitation... must be why I married him. We saw them again together in '75 and '81. Dad drove me out to Buffalo for their August 8, 1975 show at Rich Stadium...boyfriend couldn't make that show, but Dad went to great lengths to satisfy my Stones habit. He was the BEST DAD EVER. Sadly he is no longer on this Earth...sad smiley
Unfortunately the hubby & I divorced, still good friends and he still loves the Stones. We're BOTH single again and just maybe we'll see the Stones again together IF THEY TOUR THE USA NEXT YEAR!!! PLEASE RETURN....to MSG!!

Domestic grief from being a Stones fan
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: October 25, 2015 11:42

Apart from 'turn it down!' from my Dad who got sick of hearing Love You Live played at maximum volume and echoing around the house, I don't think the Stones have caused me as much grief as they are doing now. The old lady wants to go to South America for a holiday and I said 'let's hang on and tie it in with the Stones tour.' But they still haven't confirmed and airline prices are going up, up and away and she's getting mightily cheesed off. Anyone else ever fall out with family about the Stones?

Re: Domestic grief from being a Stones fan
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:13

Hang tough, Richard, this is a fight worth winning!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:21

Quit reffering to your wife as "old lady". Things might get better. And why do you live with your father? You don't have a job do you?

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:23

Old lady? Your daddy should spank you.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 25, 2015 23:48

Happy wife = happy life. It's probably safe to start shopping flights, but airfares can be volatile this far out, so don't sweat any short-term rises. Travel insurance would be a good idea.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:05

Several months ago, someone started a memorable post asking for advice relating to marital harmony.

Was that you, herecomesrichard, or is my memory deceiving me?

Olly.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:47

Olly
Several months ago, someone started a memorable post asking for advice relating to marital harmony.

Was that you, herecomesrichard, or is my memory deceiving me?

[www.iorr.org]?

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: October 26, 2015 00:49

Lol. I was trying to do a Keef who used to refer to Anita as his 'old lady'. She is my young lady.

Date: October 26, 2015 00:54

DeanGoodman
[www.iorr.org]?

Thanks Dean, that's the one I had in mind.

The way the lingerie is casually mentioned towards the end is what had stuck in my memory.

Olly.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 26, 2015 01:41

For you youngsters, my old lady is what the phartz (and yeah, i'se one of 'em) from the 60s used to refer to the woman in their life, just as the women used my old man to refer to their significant other. It was like a snark term directed at straights and parents to separate ourselves from them. Who the f knew we'd grow up to eventually be like them folks we snarked?

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 26, 2015 05:44

my wife (she is Chinese) was very supportive of me going to see the Rolling Stones in Macau,she got me the ticket and booked the hoetel.she said to me you may not get aonther chance to see them.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 26, 2015 06:03

Jewerly. Big, real gem involved. Sweet talk with the present. Or, full deluxe spa day on the vaca.
The whole RS concert experience is expensive all the way around.
My 'foodie' husband got the top dinner available at the nicest restaurant in town San Diego Zip. $$$$.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 26, 2015 10:03

herecomesrichard
Apart from 'turn it down!' from my Dad who got sick of hearing Love You Live played at maximum volume and echoing around the house, I don't think the Stones have caused me as much grief as they are doing now. The old lady wants to go to South America for a holiday and I said 'let's hang on and tie it in with the Stones tour.' But they still haven't confirmed and airline prices are going up, up and away and she's getting mightily cheesed off. Anyone else ever fall out with family about the Stones?

Unforgivable if you ask me. By gum I hope you turned that record up to the max. I used to torment my friends with Love you Live until they really hated it. That's when I moved on to repeating Black n blue. cool smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 00:30

both parents hated them, my father who is 74 was more into country and western, his favourite being george jones, but he did like buddy holly and fats domino.

my mother likes the beatles which my father couldnt stand although both liked elvis, and later she liked queen. when i got into the stones in 1987 as a 19 year old i felt isolated as none of my freinds would show any interest in them and used to slag me off for liking them. when going into pubs in those days all you got from dj,s were hiphop and rap, and very little stones, if you asked for the stones you might get it about an hour later and it would be satisfaction 99% of the time, not much else.

also remember buying rolled gold in a glasgow city centre record shop in 1988 and 2 wee lassies were sniggering behind the counter as i was making my purchase.

i met my wife, now my ex wife and she never showed much interest in them although she did come to edinburgh in 1999 with me for the concert at murrayfield but showed little enthusiasm. strangely her current boyfriend lieks the stones.

my 2 kids dont like them, my daughter is 17 and wont entertain them, prefering to listen to the rubbish that her generation do.

i did have an aunt who liked the stones and she was one of the reasons i discovered them.

Date: October 28, 2015 01:49

buttons67
...remember buying rolled gold in a glasgow city centre record shop in 1988 and 2 wee lassies were sniggering behind the counter as i was making my purchase...

This reminds me of the reaction from some of my classmates when I brazenly produced my newly acquired copy of Forty Licks on a school coach trip.

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 02:21

Olly
buttons67
...remember buying rolled gold in a glasgow city centre record shop in 1988 and 2 wee lassies were sniggering behind the counter as i was making my purchase...

This reminds me of the reaction from some of my classmates when I brazenly produced my newly acquired copy of Forty Licks on a school coach trip.

count yourself lucky it wasn't "Grrr"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 03:05

My parents didn't like them in the '60's/70's.
My dad thought they were too druggy, and my mom thought Mick Jagger was goofy looking.
It's safe to say that if they were still alive they'd probably feel the same way.

My older brother was a diehard who took me to my first Stones shows in 1981, but lost interest with every new release after. He'd still attend a show per tour, but I remember him shaking his head in disgust at the Steel Wheels album and whatever else came after that. When Don't Stop was released, he pretty much went balisitic, and who could blame him
Since he passed away in 2010, things probably wouldn't have changed his opinion, but I'm sad at the thought he didn't get to experience seeing Mick Taylor joining them. He took me to see the John Mayall Bluesbreakers reunion in '82 w/MT at the Roxy, and am positive he would have rejoiced to see the Stones'reunion', even if it was somewhat of a piddly amount of spotlight given to MT.

My older sister, who went with us for one of the '81 shows, is a casual fan who will always see them once per tour.
But she always comments on how weird Keith's ballads are, and how old they are getting as a whole. She does like Keith's new album though.

We took my young niece to see them during 50 and counting (she was 19 at the time), and she loved it.
She also loves Keith's new album, and hopes any new Stones release will have a similar vibe to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 03:08 by Hairball.

Date: October 28, 2015 03:05

Not as much as they should.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 28, 2015 03:26

Heck, my family doesn't even like ME half the time!! The stones they can take or leave.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2015 03:55

no, not really

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 28, 2015 09:07

Yes, they ask me on their bare knees to play Stones instead of which it often becomes Peter Brötzmann...

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 28, 2015 10:01

No.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home