Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: French fanclub not that positieve about new album
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: August 8, 2005 08:47

THE AWARD OF THE MOST STUPID RACIST GOES TO ...J.J.FLASH !!
THERE WAS A TOUGH COMPETITION COS HE HAD LOTS OF OPPONENTS WHO ARE QUITE GIFTED !!
THE JURY HAS BEEN VERY IMPRESSED COS WE HAD NOT SEEN SO MUCH TALENT FOR AGES !!
WHAT AN OUTBURST, ALMOST HYSTERICAL !!
OH YES I FORGOT, JJFLASH HAS SOME EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES : HE'S FROM TEXAS !!
HE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH ROTTEN EMOTIONS !

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 8, 2005 10:30

This thread must end right here and now! I can not BELIEVE I am readin posts that go "Your mouth is full of poop" etc. And whoever wrote that please don't answer this post. It's not directed at you. Let's not forget who we are. American, Dutch, French who dig the border-free Stones.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: August 8, 2005 11:52

> "Your mouth is full of poop"

ROFL. hahaha. I must've missed that one!
This is the most hilarious and ridiculous thread I've seen in a long time.

I have absolutely no idea how a review of a pending album has come to this.
As funny as it is, it is also very sad.

This thread unfortunately says alot about us.
It reflects very poorly upon the mindset of alot of us here - myself included.
If we are a reflection of where humanity is at for the moment, it's little wonder the world is in such a sad state of affairs.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Re: French fanclub not that positive about new album
Posted by: Sledge Hammer ()
Date: August 8, 2005 15:08

The original review has been updated. Here's my own translation:

Let's be frank: we don't have any copy from the album. We only listened to it once, at the Virgin French headquarters in Paris. The downloading scare makes the record companies... cautious. Going out, we had doubts: ultra-modern and messy production, several tracks sounding like rip-offs of their previous works, minimalist attempt at singing from Jagger... Then, through thinking about it, talking about it, exchanging our feelings and our notes, the tasteless has become correct, the merely acceptable superb. Here's a track by track review of the 16 titles from this "Bigger Bang" which, looking back over it, turns out to be a good record in spite of its length.

Rough Justice: the leading track is a strong rock'n'roller, in line with "Sad, Sad, Sad". Marked groove, screaming guitars, wild rhythm section. When the Stones try to imitate their grandchildren: Black Crowes, Georgia Satellites and co.

Let Me Down Slow: a country-rock ballad, with basic chords and an obviously easy tune. "Dead Flowers" for the noughties.

It Won't Take Long: close to the "Dirty Work" style. A garage band style basic rock song, quieter than the opening track, driven by Keith's guitar and nasty homemade riff. Jagger was in a lazy day when he wrote the tune and the chorus but it goes alright, it's vintage Stones.

Rain Fall Down: first misfire. Keith tries as hard as he can to prevent the song to turn into a dud and his mastery skills were useful here. His funky riff saves the song from boredom. Sort of a Sex Drive remix, with arrangements straight out of "Goddess in The Doorway"

Streets of Love: things quiet down with the first ballad and they get worse. The Stones have seldom lacked such inspiration on this kind of track. As bland as you can get, a mix between a bad Bon Jovi and a Brian Adams turd. The acoustic guitar is straight out of a Metallica ballad. Regarding electric guitars, even Aerosmith would have turned them out. The less said about the melody, the chorus, the backing vocals, the better. Yes, the less said... So, let's stop, next track because we're losing the hard on from the first three songs.

Back Of My Hand: Great! A blues. And what a blues! Not this year's blues, no, an authentic, haunting and gloomy blues. It goes all electric, like a Muddy Waters record, and reminds us of The Storm, a B track from Voodoo Lounge. Jagger screams on the harmonica, Ronnie plays a mean slide guitar while Keith and Charlie deliver a exhilarating laid-back groove. 34 years ago, this song would have belonged to the tracklisting of "Sticky Fingers" as "You Gotta Move".

She Saw Me Coming: The return to greatness is cut short by this generic funky song, with a chorus that would better suit an inspired Britney Spears.

Biggest Mistake: Happiness shines again with this pleasing song. Another track in the Dead Flowers country-rock mould. The tune is spot on even if the backing vocals, at first hearing, are somewhat corny.

This Place Is Empty: First song sung by Keith. A ballad played while the fire is burning in the chimney, very inspired, with acoustic arpeggia and tasty backing vocals. His voice goes straight to our guts, thanks to a catchy tune.

Oh No, Not You Again: Energy goes back, rocking off, with this sharp rock'n'roller, sounding a little like the first track but with syncopated verses, cut with riffs straight out of a One Hit (To The Body) remix. The solo is vintage Chcuck Berry, Charlie and Darryl send in the glu and everybody crashes in a chaotic climax! Not very original but efficient.

Dangerous Beauty: Another syncopated rock'n'roller, this one without anything special. The Stones on automatic pilot, the tune drags on, the riffs have already been used a million times... Let's forget about it.

Laugh, I Nearly Died: The album goes out of breath. A soul ballad unable to soar, r'n'b backing vocals (again!) that are clumsy, Keith lost in the middle of his riff.

Sweet Neo Con: Jagger is spot on against the Bush administration with the provocative style that suit him so well. Besides from that, Keith and Ron certainly went to the pub, Charlie preferred to spend time with his granddaughter and Darryl was snoring.

Look What The Cat Dragged In: One more time for the Stones in automatic pilot and self-parody mode. Not really bad but not really good either. You won't hear it in a club, you won't hear it on the radio and, let's hope, we won't have to suffer it on stage.

Driving Too Fast: Heavy rhythm section, boring tune, a AOR heavy metal chorus that you have already heard too many times. It's getting close to the 16 tracks and it's long, far too long.

Infamy: Richards saved the last bullet. It's groovy, funky, as Stax sounding as it can and delivered by the war horse, it a strike. Above all, Jagger is busy on the harmonica, the backing vocals have the good ol' X-Pensive Winos tribal spirit, the acoustic guitar break is splendid. To make it short, "A Bigger Bang" has a wonderful coda, sung by the soul of the Stones himself.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 8, 2005 15:24

thats not a bad review. Look at it track by track, they like most of the songs (based on ONE listen, which is quite unusual even for most Stones fans), but think its too long and runs out of steam as a result

Absurd that people who havent heard a record can condemn a review by someone who has - even more so based on a babelfish translation or the fact that they're French. How moronic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-08 15:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 8, 2005 15:40

Mhm...sounds like a more balanced review now.

I am especially curious to hear the funk inspired tunes, I happen to love funk...
The songs get worse ratings at the end of the album, perhaps that's also due to the fact that the reviewers only listened to the album once. If you hear 16 songs in a row, only listen to them once, I guess that influences your attention.

Well, I just read on RocksOff that we will have another interesting opinion from "VoodooChileinWonder..." who gets the chance to listen to the album too. I am curious about his review!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 8, 2005 16:02

Never seen more of a hypocrite then Mathjis. Ever since I have been here I have seen this clown post negative things about Americans. Some that would make him sound like a 5 year old. When I read his post saying not to make fun of the French I thought he was being funny or joking but sadly I think he was serious. I myself am English but to me you sound like a racist and just plain ignorant. Its funny to think that some Stones fans are as nasty as this person and could have an ego bigger than some of the actual Stones themselves. Sad Sad Sad, I honestly feel bad for how your sick mind works.

Posted by: Sledge Hammer ()
Date: August 8, 2005 16:06

I must also add that there has never been any mention of Bush being responsible for the quality of the album in any of the two different reviews. The last sentence was only added by the original translator. A French wouldn't decently put the blame on Bush. He knows the Stones are English. He would have put the blame on Blair ;-)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 8, 2005 16:16

lol

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 8, 2005 16:32

The review makes the album sound a lot like Voodoo Lounge Revisited. Despite all the talk of Keith and Mick face-to-face writing songs, still looks like Keith song, Mick song, Keith song, Mick song. Also, I hear in the review the oft-heard criticism of the band trying to "sound like the Rollling Stones". Sort of a ridiculous idea IMO.

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 8, 2005 16:59

Well, I kind of like SOL. That's my review of a song I heard.
Especially where Mick goes aaaaaahaaaaahhhaaaa aaaaaahhhaaaaaa the streets of love....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2005 17:02

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thats not a bad review. Look at it track by track,
> they like most of the songs (based on ONE listen,
> which is quite unusual even for most Stones fans),
> but think its too long and runs out of steam as a
> result
>

Yeah, it's not that bad, but not very good either - and the record seems to
be way too long.

But then again: put the people to the same situation and play them a brand new Exile On Main Street from start to end, and ask their opinion track by track. It's quite demanding thing to do. I suppose many would think that there are too many repetive screaming rockers - and I suppose many would complain about the production as well. Like for many others, Exile really needed quite many listens to grew upon me. And when I heard it first time I've already knew that it supposed to be their best. It took some time to understand why that reputation might be even true.

Well, perhaps the big difference between these experiments is the fact that there is lots of material that is quite original in Exile; The Stones are still in process in creating their sound. Well, perhaps they nail the form and style in Exile. Now naturally it's very easy to derscribe the songs by reference to the records from long past, or say things like "the riffs have already been used a million times" and "a chorus that you have already heard too many times". No surprises, and if there are, it's "imitating their grand-children" or "a mix between a bad Bon Jovi and a Brian Adams turd".

Well, okay.. I don't think we have a new Exile in our hands, but I still have the feeling that it's going to a good album. And the guy is goddamn wrong about
"Streets Of Love".. Well, no in fact... I think I did felt the same after the first listening; now I actually LIKE the song (The exile effect...)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-08 17:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 8, 2005 17:15

If the bang is gonna be only half as big as RJ promises it's fine with me...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 8, 2005 18:38

I was in Paris this summer, and there were posters all over the place for a Hanson concert

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 8, 2005 18:38

but there was a big difference with Exile - it was a four-sided lp. It never really demanded that you listen to it as a whole. In fact, I rarely listened to more than a side at a time back in the day.

These days, the temptation of putting out 75 minutes on CD is killing albums. And, I think BB will be another case in point. Appparently the record company wanted a shorter album - and based on the review above (and it has a negative slant on 9 of the 16 songs) and my own take on the 4 songs I've heard - I think the Stones would have been served well to edit it down substantially.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-08 19:08 by T&A.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 8, 2005 18:59

Pinose Records wrote :

>Your mouth is full of poop, you can't talk normally !

I cannot compete with a wit as sharp as this. I shall do the only truly "French" thing left for me to do. I therefore surrender. Unconditionally. Pignose, I cannot withstand your fury. I have been bested. Wear your crown with pride.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: August 8, 2005 19:13

Comparing Rough Justice with Sad, Sad, Sad !!!!!

Didn't the Stones do such music before Black Crowes / Georgia Satellites had started - so who is imitating whom!!!!

Seems like the critics are a bit wrong here.......

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 8, 2005 19:24

country honk Wrote:
> >
> Didn't the Stones do such music before Black
> Crowes / Georgia Satellites had started - so who
> is imitating whom!!!!
>

Yes, but the reviewer acknowledged this by referring to those bands as the Stones grandchildren...

Re: French fanclub not that positive about new album
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 8, 2005 19:42

Why does anyone care what this fan club thinks? They have no credibility. Just more people unhappy in their lives. Sad, Sad, Sad bastards. Let them drown in their whine while others have a good time and enjoy themselves. Simply a bunch of old farts.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: August 8, 2005 20:22

T&A - my point was, that Stones are not imitating BC and GS.....

They were doing these rockers before BC and GS existed.....

People always love to say... Stones are imitating / copying other bands....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 8, 2005 21:10

J-J-Flash Wrote:
> Never seen more of a hypocrite then Mathjis. Ever
> since I have been here I have seen this clown post
> negative things about Americans.

haha, of all things you can call me hypocrite is not one of them! I am straight forward and have a frank and honest opinion wich I hardly ever change. Yep, I do have an ego, but I use it to my benefit. I know I can offend but I don't care that much about it.

By the way, I never criticised Americans -that is the people of America- but I do have some akward feelings towards the American society. In my opinion the moral values, the politics, the religion and general view on live are akward. Matters like gun use, abortion, capitol punishment, and the way homosexuals are treated -I just can't understand it and it is far away from my believes. And for whom is interested: I have visited the US a total of 7 times and work for an American company, so it not an opinion made out of TV programs. Americans (at least the ones who travel) can be great people. I have come to learn them as social, interested and big hearted people.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-08 21:11 by Mathijs.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 8, 2005 21:56

STONEFAN I'M NOWHERE NEAR FROM TEXAS U BUFFOON!

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: August 8, 2005 22:21

Mathjis Wrote:
>

Matters like gun use, abortion, capitol punishment, and the way homosexuals are treated - I just can't understand it and it is far away from my believes.

I don't @#$%& get it. What's wrong with being able to own an AK- 47 Assault Rifle and ending the miserable lives of killers for eternity? You wanna be the next victim or what? In America we protect the lives of innocent people and get tough with crooks. European leaders are way too soft on criminals and that's probably why Europeans in general are a bunch of negotiating pussies when the shit hits the fan. You gotta start a new habit, like devoting yourselves to genuine American sporting activities once in a while, check out NFL, dudes!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 8, 2005 22:22

The last post´s gotta be a pure joke.
Still laughin anyway.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10