Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Emotional Rescue is their stand out 45 of the last 43 years
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 11:15

treaclefingers
Olly
dcba
What disqualifies ER (the song) a bit in my eyes is it's verging on parody...

Undercover of the Night, Emotional Rescue, these are all Mick's calculations about the market. And they're not the best records we've made. See, Mick listens to too much bad shit.
- Keith Richards, 1997

Time Is On Our Side (no date) Emotional Rescue. [Online] [Accessed on 13th August 2015] [www.timeisonourside.com]

Both dcba and Richards are being too kind with regards to this meretricious offering.

and what the bloody hell did Keith write as 'singles' in the meantime? Since 1980 what blockbuster rolling stones hits have been penned by the riffmeister?

That should get some blood boiling this early morning (my time!)...

you're making keith's point - if your goal is a blockbuster single, you're compromising yourself.

in any case sandwiched between emotional rescue and undercover of the night is a little ditty called "start me up"

but you already knew that. i assume you're taking keith's side in your own inimitable way :-)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 15, 2015 16:44

Turner68
treaclefingers
Olly
dcba

Undercover of the Night, Emotional Rescue, these are all Mick's calculations about the market. And they're not the best records we've made. See, Mick listens to too much bad shit.
- Keith Richards, 1997

Time Is On Our Side (no date) Emotional Rescue. [Online] [Accessed on 13th August 2015] [www.timeisonourside.com]

Both dcba and Richards are being too kind with regards to this meretricious offering.

and what the bloody hell did Keith write as 'singles' in the meantime? Since 1980 what blockbuster rolling stones hits have been penned by the riffmeister?

you're making keith's point - if your goal is a blockbuster single, you're compromising yourself.

in any case sandwiched between emotional rescue and undercover of the night is a little ditty called "start me up"

but you already knew that. i assume you're taking keith's side in your own inimitable way :-)

I'm not 'not' on Keith's side, and yes you're getting the 'drift'. But the other side of it addresses the topic, which is to say the last stand out 45 of the last 43 years bit. So MJ's chasing that to some extent and while Keith'd love it, he's probably completely given up on it and isn't even considering it.

I think that's why MJ still has the outside projects...relevancy for him would be that number 1 single, with or without the stones.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 15, 2015 16:52

treaclefingers

and what the bloody hell did Keith write as 'singles' in the meantime? Since 1980 what blockbuster rolling stones hits have been penned by the riffmeister?...

I'm not particularly interested in who wrote what song but, as I stated earlier, in my opinion there are very few singles issued by the Stones in the last forty-three years that are inferior to 'Emotional Rescue.'

Any of the singles from Tattoo You, for example, are superior.

Olly.

Date: August 15, 2015 17:25

treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers
Olly
dcba

- Keith Richards, 1997

I'm not 'not' on Keith's side, and yes you're getting the 'drift'. But the other side of it addresses the topic, which is to say the last stand out 45 of the last 43 years bit. So MJ's chasing that to some extent and while Keith'd love it, he's probably completely given up on it and isn't even considering it.

I think that's why MJ still has the outside projects...relevancy for him would be that number 1 single, with or without the stones.

agreed.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2015 22:05

Turner68
herecomesrichard
There. I've said it. Angie, It's Only Rock'n'Roll and Miss You are all great, but ER tops them all for me. It's the best single they've done since Tumbling Dice

This is ridiculous. Angie is not great.

You beat me to it.

Date: August 15, 2015 22:10

Turner68
treaclefingers
Olly
dcba

- Keith Richards, 1997

Well, technically, Start Me Up... seeing that it was recorded the same day as Miss You... just happened to be released in 1981.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 15, 2015 22:18

well sorry but no. Its a thumbs down for me. thumbs down

But its just my opinion

Date: August 15, 2015 22:23

Olly
treaclefingers

and what the bloody hell did Keith write as 'singles' in the meantime? Since 1980 what blockbuster rolling stones hits have been penned by the riffmeister?...

I'm not particularly interested in who wrote what song but, as I stated earlier, in my opinion there are very few singles issued by the Stones in the last forty-three years that are inferior to 'Emotional Rescue.'

Treacle you sound tired teasy, go to bed mate and get some shut eye
All will seem better in the morning winking smiley

Date: August 15, 2015 22:32

Turner68
treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers
Olly
dcba

- Keith Richards, 1997

agreed.

MJ can chase all he wants but he is no nearer to getting it

Date: August 16, 2015 00:02

Olly
treaclefingers

None of which were written in the 1980s...

Posted by: atip ()
Date: August 16, 2015 00:52

Right up there with Katy Perry's latest single, whatever that may be.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 16, 2015 01:05

EMOTIONAL RESCUE, both the song and the album have grown in stature over the years. Most fans thought it sucked when it came out. SOME GIRLS was such a revelation and the hype leading up to ER's release was big, and the album sold very well but the general consensus at the time that it was a huge let down after SG

Date: August 16, 2015 01:58

Bashlets
EMOTIONAL RESCUE, both the song and the album have grown in stature over the years. Most fans thought it sucked when it came out. SOME GIRLS was such a revelation and the hype leading up to ER's release was big, and the album sold very well but the general consensus at the time that it was a huge let down after SG

Well I know in my neck of the woods, when ER came out, it was just a little too much Mick falsetto, too much of a good thing if you will.

It was as though MJ thought he had the formula with Miss You, disco beat a little Bee Gees vocal and you had a hit, so he tried to carry it over to the next album.

Even though it was a #3 hit we all hated it. I didn't get into the stones until I heard SSC, which led me to buy the album and then started liking the title cut after the fact.

Anyway, it's stood the test of time and is a great song and much of the album is also excellent, with perhaps a couple of exceptions. Standout tracks include Dance, SSC, All About You, Down In The Hole, Where The Boys Go, title cut.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:06

For me Miss You as a single is/was far superior. Miss You is that great Curtis Mayfield homage, that was just a funky intro to a summer of stones. Summer of some girls. Emotional Rescue is great too, but more disco, than Miss You. Not that is bad, and a great hook and I love Mick's spoken, Isaac Hayes like story at the end with the white stallion. That was Bianca riding into Studio 54 on horse back doing lines of coke!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 16, 2015 04:45

Well, in my neck of the woods, I, and anyone I knew at the time, thought Emotional Rescue, the album, was fantastic!

Those woods would be 70 miles northwest of New York City, The Catskills, Woodstock country.

I was 29 years old in 1980, and all my freinds were 20-30. There was no-one I knew that didn't think Emotional Rescue was great!

Personally I liked it better than Some Girls, but don't get me wrong, Some Girls was fantastic also.

Having grown up in the hey-day of the Rolling Stones, I can think of three other albums that were huge disappointments, at the time, compared to Emotional Rescue, and they were Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, and Black and Blue. Note, that my liking of them has grown after 30 or 40 years though.

I remember the topic being discussed amongst my group of freinds around 1981, that we were so glad the Stones had pulled out of the rut of the mid seventies trilogy of Goats Head Soup, Its Only Rock and Roll, and Black and Blue, and were actually doing something great again with the late seventies, early eighties trilogy of Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tatoo You.

It was like, "The Stones are Back again", after we had given up on them with the mid seventies releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 04:47 by Chacho.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 16, 2015 07:38

Song Emotional Rescue itself was a great addition to the 2013 tour. Actually, Summer Romance would work well in concert.

I love that Album.

smoking smileyRe: Emotional Rescue is their stand out 45 of the last 43 years
Date: August 16, 2015 09:25

treaclefingers
Bashlets

Well I know in my neck of the woods, when ER came out, it was just a little too much Mick falsetto, too much of a good thing if you will.

It was as though MJ thought he had the formula with Miss You, disco beat a little Bee Gees vocal and you had a hit, so he tried to carry it over to the next album.

Even though it was a #3 hit we all hated it. I didn't get into the stones until I heard SSC, which led me to buy the album and then started liking the title cut after the fact.

Anyway, it's stood the test of time and is a great song and much of the album is also excellent, with perhaps a couple of exceptions. Standout tracks include Dance, SSC, All About You, Down In The Hole, Where The Boys Go, title cut.

I was agree with this assessment, including the stand out tracks. Spot on.
Really like the live take on ER recently but still cant be doing with the studio version

Date: August 16, 2015 09:58

Emotional Rescue (Song) is many miles ahead of Miss You. Lyrics, Bass line, Sax, etc... are a few examples to prove superiority

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 16, 2015 13:52

I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Then again, I guess I don't care much for singles: any old album track or b-side will do, as long as it is a good song that is properly recorded.

Ronnie's bass line on "Emotional Rescue" is nothing short of amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 13:53 by billwebster.

Date: August 16, 2015 15:11

One other issue. Why is the bass tone much lower on the album versus Darryl's high pitched concert version? Soft tone bass affects the song measurably. This particular song played live needs to mirror the album version. Period.

Still a nice job.

Date: August 16, 2015 16:31

billwebster
I guess everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Then again, I guess I don't care much for singles: any old album track or b-side will do, as long as it is a good song that is properly recorded.

Ronnie's bass line on "Emotional Rescue" is nothing short of amazing.

at the end of the day that, and the vocal are the song

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 16, 2015 16:47

Chacho
Well, in my neck of the woods, I, and anyone I knew at the time, thought Emotional Rescue, the album, was fantastic!

Those woods would be 70 miles northwest of New York City, The Catskills, Woodstock country.

I was 29 years old in 1980, and all my freinds were 20-30. There was no-one I knew that didn't think Emotional Rescue was great!

Personally I liked it better than Some Girls, but don't get me wrong, Some Girls was fantastic also.

Having grown up in the hey-day of the Rolling Stones, I can think of three other albums that were huge disappointments, at the time, compared to Emotional Rescue, and they were Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, and Black and Blue. Note, that my liking of them has grown after 30 or 40 years though.

I remember the topic being discussed amongst my group of freinds around 1981, that we were so glad the Stones had pulled out of the rut of the mid seventies trilogy of Goats Head Soup, Its Only Rock and Roll, and Black and Blue, and were actually doing something great again with the late seventies, early eighties trilogy of Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tatoo YÜou.

It was like, "The Stones are Back again", after we had given up on them with the mid seventies releases.

We have a lot to thank Ronnie Wood for!

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: August 16, 2015 20:18

As far as I'm concerned "Emotional Rescue is their poorest single of the last 52 years" would be more a appropriate statement.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 16, 2015 20:35

xke38
As far as I'm concerned "Emotional Rescue is their poorest single of the last 52 years" would be more a appropriate statement.

Streets of Love second worst then?

Date: August 17, 2015 06:13

Harlem Shuffler
xke38

Streets of Love second worst then?

This is probably not going out on a limb: Streets Of Love is hated more than ER is. And SOL is easily their worst song single since Rock And A Hard Place and Winning Ugly in Canada.

Date: August 17, 2015 06:20

what about mixed emotions?

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: August 17, 2015 17:52

Like others, this is closer to being the worst for me rather than the best..
last 43 years?
I'd rate the best as...

Start Me Up
IORR
Undercover of the Night
Fool To Cry
Saint of Me
Angie
Waiting on a Friend
Almost Hear You Sigh

Date: August 17, 2015 20:23

Turner68

yeah, that's another underachiever...started the whole AOR-sounding stones, the Don't Stop-like stones-by-numbers.

Catchy but generic and ultimately not very satisfying.

Date: August 17, 2015 20:26

treaclefingers
Turner68

yeah, that's another underachiever...started the whole AOR-sounding stones, the Don't Stop-like stones-by-numbers.

agreed, i actually meant what about it as most hated... i should have quoted the preceding post.

IMO stones by numbers was first hinted at on GHS and by B&B was fully formed with 'crazy mama' and 'hand of fate', two tracks that i love and yet add nothing new to the canon. stones by numbers.

Date: August 18, 2015 02:56

Turner68
treaclefingers
Turner68

agreed, i actually meant what about it as most hated... i should have quoted the preceding post.

IMO stones by numbers was first hinted at on GHS and by B&B was fully formed with 'crazy mama' and 'hand of fate', two tracks that i love and yet add nothing new to the canon. stones by numbers.

oh yeah, I completely understood your disdain, and empathize. I think with your earlier examples, at least the performances were out of this world. I mean Hand Of Fate, what a recording, what a vocal! The writing declined before the performances did.

I'd submit with songs like High Wire, Sex Drive, Mixed Emotions and Don't Stop (and the other 3 new slabs of dreck on 40 Licks) they completely lost their muse.

I think they regained a fair bit of it though by ABB...just perhaps should have spent a bit more time on the editing.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home