Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Complete Loyalty to the Stones
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 20:58

There seem to be a few comments using words like "stupid", so I just wanna clarify a few things:
1. My comments about complete loyalty were never intended to be seen as some kind of elitist attitude. Even if I were to decide to never listen to anything but Stones, I wouldn't believe myself to be any more or less of a fan than anyone here. Just a different kind of fan (a more OCD minded one, I guess).
2. You might think my question was stupid, but it was only intended to open up a conversation to a topic that's been bothering me. I thought, what better place to ask this question, even if it may seem stupid, than on a massive website of other hardcore fans. That's it.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: August 3, 2015 21:12

How does one measure loyalty?

Date: August 3, 2015 21:20

MrThompsonWooft

I guess it's kind of a personal thing. But, if you compare someone who has two Stones albums with someone who has every one of them, most people would probably say the second one was more loyal

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 3, 2015 22:00

stones2000
I guess it's kind of a personal thing. But, if you compare someone who has two Stones albums with someone who has every one of them,
most people would probably say the second one was more loyal

Hm - I'd say the latter probably likes the Stones more than the former does.
But maybe something like what Witness (I think?) said about sports teams might come into play
if someone buys compilation albums even though we already own all the tracks,
or stays up late to watch Freejack on TV for the fourth time. :E
Is that akin to the loyalty sports fans feel for their chosen teams? Maybe.
But (I hasten to add) I hope we listen to other music and watch other films as well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 22:30 by with sssoul.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 3, 2015 22:22

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 3, 2015 23:00

stones2000
MrThompsonWooft

I guess it's kind of a personal thing. But, if you compare someone who has two Stones albums with someone who has every one of them, most people would probably say the second one was more loyal

The second one is probably just older, has thus been around longer, and has more money. Nothing to do with loyalty, especially as due to his/her advanced age, this second fan may also have collected dozens of albums by other artists. Which is how s/he got to be so old, as just like eating a variety of foods is good for your nutritional health, listening to a variety of music is good for every other kind of health. smiling smiley

And no, it wasn't a stupid question, especially as there are folks who post about how they only listen to the Stones . . .

Date: August 3, 2015 23:03

Aquamarine
stones2000
MrThompsonWooft

The second one is probably just older, has thus been around longer, and has more money. Nothing to do with loyalty, especially as due to his/her advanced age, this second fan may also have collected dozens of albums by other artists. Which is how s/he got to be so old, as just like eating a variety of foods is good for your nutritional health, listening to a variety of music is good for every other kind of health. smiling smiley

And no, it wasn't a stupid question, especially as there are folks who post about how they only listen to the Stones . . .

Well thank you. I didn't think it was a stupid question, but a few others seem to disagree...

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 4, 2015 02:29

stones2000
I was hoping some (or all) of you could chime in with your opinion on this subject- basically, I'm wondering what "Complete Loyalty to the Stones" means to you? Does it mean never listening to another artist, or is it ok as long as the Stones are always your favourite? I've been struggling with this recently. The Stones will always be my absolute favorite, but should I feel disloyal for listening to another band? Someone told me that broadening my musical taste might help me to appreciate the Stones that much more, and I think there's a degree of wisdom in that. Anyway, I'd really appreciate any opinions or wisdom you might have. Thanks

I think the best way to be loyal to the Rolling Stones and their artistic vision is to not only listen to them, but also to the artists that inspired them. Only by studying their sources will you be able to truly understand their artistic achievements.

Check out Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Slim Harpo, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Elmore James, Willie Dixon, Jimmy Reed, Robert Johnson, Babatunde Olatunji (Drums Of Passion, 1959), The Wailers etc.

To be loyal to an artist means to also be loyal to the tradition that's being passed on.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 4, 2015 15:41

Loyalty is sticking by/with your spouse as they go through a hard time (financially, health, mentally) or are dying.

So I don't think loyalty can be applied to liking a band because it's strictly a personal thing, there are no results outside of that, unlike loyalty to a friend or spouse.

A fan buys every album, where the word loyal can be used as a descriptive word to describe how one buys everything, is just that. It doesn't truly mean anything. Loyal can be replaced with serious or collector.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 4, 2015 16:07

Completely loyal to the band is the person who claims that ' Dirty Works ' is a top album .... That is what I call loyalty ....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 4, 2015 16:20

Years ago I saw a court case in the local paper...a guy got done for selling some weed, during the trial the judge asked the guy's wife "How can you stick by him when he's doing these things?"
She said "He's my husband".................That's loyalty.

For me, even though I have bought all the main Stones official stuff (just about all x 4 - LPs, Cassettes, Cds and remaster Cds) and have a closet full of boots loyalty doesn't come into it.
I've stuck with the Stones, in that I've bought their stuff and had a continued interest in what they're doing but only becasue I've liked what they've done.(notwithstanding the lazy lame setlists of late........

The Stones are no one to me except they have written more tunes that I like than any other bands / solo artists............

I don't regard it like "loyally supporting" 'your' useless local football team...........

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 4, 2015 16:22

Come On
Completely loyal to the band is the person who claims that ' Dirty Works ' is a top album .... That is what I call loyalty ....

I think it's great 'work out' album.........as per the cartoon inner sleeve but still don't consider myself loyal.........sorry to slip your net (definition).......cool smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 20:13

if you want to be completely loyal to the stones then you should eat only rice krispies for breakfast otherwise your a traitor. no weetabix, cornflakes shredded wheat etc, thats disrespectful.

Date: August 5, 2015 02:45

Come On

It's called something else. A lot of something elses.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2015 07:58

I named me two male Gouldian finch's Mick & Keith ... that's loyalty now ain't it???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2015 09:27

stones2000
There seem to be a few comments using words like "stupid", so I just wanna clarify a few things:
1. My comments about complete loyalty were never intended to be seen as some kind of elitist attitude. Even if I were to decide to never listen to anything but Stones, I wouldn't believe myself to be any more or less of a fan than anyone here. Just a different kind of fan (a more OCD minded one, I guess).
2. You might think my question was stupid, but it was only intended to open up a conversation to a topic that's been bothering me. I thought, what better place to ask this question, even if it may seem stupid, than on a massive website of other hardcore fans. That's it.

To put your theme in a possibly clarifying perspective, I wanna ask: Are you a fan or a supporter of the Rolling Stones?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 5, 2015 09:58

Witness
Are you a fan or a supporter of the Rolling Stones?

Yes.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 5, 2015 10:36

Aquamarine
Witness
Are you a fan or a supporter of the Rolling Stones?

Yes.

An OT-comment appropriate to your answer
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 5, 2015 11:33

Rockman
I named me two male Gouldian finch's Mick & Keith ... that's loyalty now ain't it???

Yep, and here's my Dog Jagger

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 5, 2015 12:54

Just listen to the music whatever you want and like. Why do you care what other people think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 21:51 by GJV.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 5, 2015 15:54

Cute birds and doggie. smiling smiley

I think you are confusing loyalty with exclusivity. The Rolling Stones are my favorite band and I don't see that ever changing, so I guess you could say I'm loyal to them in that I listen to their music faithfully. But I listen to other musicians too and I never feel guilty for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 16:06 by latebloomer.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:03

GasLightStreet
It means you're an idiot.

Well, that escalated quickly.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 6, 2015 05:38

JumpingKentFlash
GasLightStreet
It means you're an idiot.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Straight to the point. But you'll see how it was... explained.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 6, 2015 10:13

Complete loyalty ? No, not really. I like their music, and can find some merit in Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Dirty Work, etc, but to listen to nothing bar The Rolling Stones means that you may inhabit a very closeted world. I'm sure Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, would, if they encountered you, encourage you to listen to other genres, other artists.

Date: August 6, 2015 15:17

If you think Hey Negrita is reggae then you... have a problem with understanding music as well.

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: August 6, 2015 15:55

Well, I have more than two Stones albums but less than 200 if you count the bootlegs. I have more than two books on them but less than 100 but close.

I've seen them almost every tour when I was either old enough or had enough money to go and could get there.

I listen to them every day and I've never stopped liking them.

So no matter how you measure loyalty I would say I am a loyal fan and probably more loyal to them than say Bill Wyman or Mick Taylor.

If I had the chance to be a Stone and play on the records and perform on stage with Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie I would have made it work and stayed loyal. Somehow Ronnie has found his place and I imagine others have as well including Mick, Charlie and Keith. It ain't easy being in a band but it's not rocket surgery either.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 7, 2015 06:56

Qualifies?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2344
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home