Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Interesting article on Jimmy Page Stealing Music
Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 5, 2005 18:39

The post I did (Page redux) re LZ mentioned the OBVIOUS steals - I would add Jake Holemes' 'I'm Confused' - R & R is more of an influenced by KAK than a steal...but Page did steal quite a bit. And I like LZ.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 5, 2005 18:54

I always knew Page was a thievin' bastard. He should spend the rest of his life in prison for his crimes. That drug addled son of a b---h couldn't even keep his band together. And by the way , his guitar playing was never that great.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 5, 2005 19:55

Actually I credit Page & Co. for breaking up after Bonham died. Unlike The Who going on after Moon (and now Entwhistle!) it recognizes that Bonzo was the foundation of their sound.

At Live Aid, the reunited 3 (+ 2 drummers) did not call themselves "Led Zeppelin" That's class.

Posted by: captkirk ()
Date: August 5, 2005 20:19

But what everybody seems to forget is that before Page, blues singers ripped off each other. Some of these songs are so old that nobody really knows who wrote them. Look at "Matchbox". Many would think of Carl Perkins but that song goes back to at least Blind Lemon Jefferson. Some of the material credited to Robert Johnson also goes back before his time.

Anybody remember "Catch Me Now, I'm Falling" from the Kinks "Low Budget" album from 1979? Take a listen to the main riff. It's Jumping Jack Flash. It happens all the time. Page was criticized for it just because he made so much money from it, but at the same time, I would have never discovered the blues were it not for Zeppelin. Maybe I would have years later, but when I was 15 and saw a credit for Willie Dixon, I wanted to know who he was. Zeppelin also aided in my discovery of Prog Rock as well, of course they didn't rip of any Yes or Genesis tunes.

Bill

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home