Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Jimmy Fallon lip-synched to 'Undercover of the Night' last night
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:00

I cannot stand the greased-up, smarmy, slimy toad, personally. He's totally nauseating. Go away!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:03

RipThisBone
"Jimmy Fallon lip-synched to 'Undercover of the Night' last night"

thumbs downthumbs downthumbs down
Do you disapprove of his performance, or how I titled the thread?

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:13

That was very funny - but gotta say Cruise KICKED his ass

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:05

I thought it was great! Tom was the better of the two this time. What a weird Stones song to pick...of ALL the songs he could have picked, he chose one that 98% of that audience probably had NEVER heard of! Tom messed up at the very end, the duet to the Righteous Bros song but other than that, he was spot on!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2015 04:49

RipThisBone

Are you thumbs downing because he lip sync'd, and didn't actually sing it? He was quite convincing.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 05:04

Can't decide who should play Milli and who Vanilli.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 30, 2015 05:38

I think Jimmy chose 'Undercover' so he could show off dance moves.

I'll always love Jimmy for getting Mick to do this: (case haven't seen, Jimmy and Mick pretending mirror)

[www.hulu.com]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:08

You could be right, 35LOVE! I'll NEVER forget that skit on SNL with Jimmy and Mick doing that mirror thing! It was iconic! Jimmy does some great Jagger moves, for sure!

Date: July 30, 2015 21:24

35love
I think Jimmy chose 'Undercover' so he could show off dance moves.

I'll always love Jimmy for getting Mick to do this: (case haven't seen, Jimmy and Mick pretending mirror)

[www.hulu.com]

A lot of his bit emulated the video, the close ups especially.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 31, 2015 03:55

umakmehrd
That was very funny - but gotta say Cruise KICKED his ass

Agreed!

Date: July 31, 2015 05:24

mickschix
I thought it was great! Tom was the better of the two this time. What a weird Stones song to pick...of ALL the songs he could have picked, he chose one that 98% of that audience probably had NEVER heard of! Tom messed up at the very end, the duet to the Righteous Bros song but other than that, he was spot on!

"Undercover of the Night" is not that unknown. It's on at least four compilation "best-of" albums that I can think of right away plus you can throw in the 'Shine a Light' DVD / Blu-ray and its history on MTV.

The Stones might lead us to believe that everything they have ever recorded outside of 12 songs is "unknown" but that's not actually the case.

Now if Fallon did "Too Tough" from the same album ..........

Date: July 31, 2015 05:43

Winning Ugly VXII
mickschix

"Undercover of the Night" is not that unknown. It's on at least four compilation "best-of" albums that I can think of right away plus you can throw in the 'Shine a Light' DVD / Blu-ray and its history on MTV.

The Stones might lead us to believe that everything they have ever recorded outside of 12 songs is "unknown" but that's not actually the case.

Too Tough was released as a single in '84, with Miss You as the B-side.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 08:04

Winning Ugly VXII
mickschix

i would have preferred it if he had done "have you seen your mother, baby..."

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 31, 2015 08:10

keefriff99
RipThisBone

I cannot stand the greased-up, smarmy, slimy toad, personally. He's totally nauseating. Go away!

Date: July 31, 2015 08:15

RipThisBone
keefriff99
RipThisBone

ok, but, seriously, he is just about the only one of his generation in show business who is talking about the stones. i think he's probably done more to bring the stones to the under-30 crowd than almost anyone else.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:54

drewmaster
treaclefingers
andrewt
stonehearted
<<I've probably heard Undercover Of The Night maybe 3 times at most.>>

If you had been 17 in 1983, having been wowed by Tattoo You 2 years earlier, you would have loved it and listened to it often, enough for the song to take you back to that year when you listen to it even 30 plus years later.

<<a relatively obscure '80s cut from their synth period.>>

Again, not if you were a 17-year-old Stones fan in 1983. You'd remember it as one of the highlights of that period. One of the best songs--and videos--of that year.

Yep. I was 16 at the time and it was massive.

I was 18....massive on muchmusic & Friday night videos!

I was 17, and to this day I consider it one of the greatest songs in the Stones catalog.

Drew

I was 16 and for those of our years this will always be the last great Stones single. I can still remember what Mick was wearing in the Julien Temple video. Grateful for the primitive technology back then otherwise there'd probably be footage of me mimicking Mick's 'Do do do doo do doo do, do do do doo do' part.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 31, 2015 11:10

<<Grateful for the primitive technology back then>>

Primitive technology? This was state of the art. Which means, it was the 80s, man, and all that went before looked cheap and dated, and all that would follow would simply be envious of the innovation.

Like "the last great Stones single", it was the last leap forward.

Date: July 31, 2015 17:42

Swayed1967
drewmaster
treaclefingers
andrewt
stonehearted

If you had been 17 in 1983, having been wowed by Tattoo You 2 years earlier, you would have loved it and listened to it often, enough for the song to take you back to that year when you listen to it even 30 plus years later.

Again, not if you were a 17-year-old Stones fan in 1983. You'd remember it as one of the highlights of that period. One of the best songs--and videos--of that year.

I was 17, and to this day I consider it one of the greatest songs in the Stones catalog.

Drew

I was 16 and for those of our years this will always be the last great Stones single. I can still remember what Mick was wearing in the Julien Temple video. Grateful for the primitive technology back then otherwise there'd probably be footage of me mimicking Mick's 'Do do do doo do doo do, do do do doo do' part.

For me, this is the last time they broke with their more traditional musical styles and did something completely different, still sounded like the stones and still were able to create an amazing recording. I guess Continental Drift might be another example, but doesn't hit in the same way.

Date: July 31, 2015 17:53

stonehearted
<<Grateful for the primitive technology back then>>

Primitive technology? This was state of the art. Which means, it was the 80s, man, and all that went before looked cheap and dated, and all that would follow would simply be envious of the innovation.

Like "the last great Stones single", it was the last leap forward.

I simply meant there were no cell phones/smart phones to capture my shame. The video, if that's what you're referring to, was definitely a huge leap forward from the 'it's only rock & bubbles era.'

Date: July 31, 2015 17:55

treaclefingers
Swayed1967
drewmaster
treaclefingers
andrewt
stonehearted

Drew

For me, this is the last time they broke with their more traditional musical styles and did something completely different, still sounded like the stones and still were able to create an amazing recording. I guess Continental Drift might be another example, but doesn't hit in the same way.

You had me Big Time, Peter Gabriel Big Time, until you dredged up Continental Drift.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-31 18:03 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 31, 2015 20:59

Yeah, although not an instant hit like Start Me Up, Undercover of The Night was perhaps the last really exciting Rolling Stones single.
A good appetizer for the LP (yes, they still made LP:s back then..) which, I'm afraid, wasn't as exciting as the single.

Date: August 1, 2015 00:15

Swayed1967
treaclefingers
Swayed1967
drewmaster
treaclefingers
andrewt
stonehearted

Drew

You had me Big Time, Peter Gabriel Big Time, until you dredged up Continental Drift.

hey buddy, love comes at the speed of light...nuff said.

Date: August 1, 2015 01:28

Stoneage
Yeah, although not an instant hit like Start Me Up, Undercover of The Night was perhaps the last really exciting Rolling Stones single.
A good appetizer for the LP (yes, they still made LP:s back then..) which, I'm afraid, wasn't as exciting as the single.

No and Yes...
I like the song Under Cover Of The Night. Always did since 1983.
But also NO because Undercover Of The Night does not swing. Charlie is overplayed by all these big drums/percussion all doing BOINK, BOINK, BOINK.
Not much finesse in the end, just boinking the bonk.
GREAT lyrics though (sorry, maybe too political...)!

YES: First single should have been TIE YOU UP (The Pain Of Love). Swings like a Mootarfacker because of CHARLIE. Great break also! Could have been a number 1.hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 01:44 by RipThisBone.

Date: August 1, 2015 01:46

Stoneage

My memory: the video was exciting. The song was instantly disappointing.

Date: August 1, 2015 01:46

stonedolphin
I love to have my blink bonked.

Lord I'm gonna fade away

I

What is your blink?

Date: August 1, 2015 01:48

RipThisBone
stonedolphin
I love to have my blink bonked.

Lord I'm gonna fade away

I

What is your blink?

This is off topic. The discussion was about boink. Unless there is a connection between blink and boink I am missing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 02:13 by Turner68.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 1, 2015 02:09

RipThisBone
Stoneage

No and Yes...
But also NO because Undercover Of The Night does not swing. Charlie is overplayed by all these big drums/percussion all doing BOINK, BOINK, BOINK.

YES: First single should have been TIE YOU UP (The Pain Of Love). Swings like a Mootarfacker because of CHARLIE. Great break also! Could have been a number 1.hot smiley

Yeah, in hindsight it wasn't that good. But back in 1983 it was a bit exciting. Sounding like a promise of something new to come. Which never really came. I agree with you on Tie You Up which had a great groove tied to it...

Date: August 1, 2015 02:31

Stoneage
RipThisBone
Stoneage

No and Yes...

Yeah, in hindsight it wasn't that good. But back in 1983 it was a bit exciting. Sounding like a promise of something new to come. Which never really came. I agree with you on Tie You Up which had a great groove tied to it...

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
Just played almost the entire album.
Under Cover Of The Night, Tie You Up, Wanna Hold You, Feel On Baby, Too Much Blood, Pretty Beat Up (got out of my chair, making some moves), skipped Too Tough, played ALL THE WAY DOWN (great lyrics again) and IT MUST BE HELLhot smiley
(Great lyrics, whooo whooo in there from SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL, hooks from HONKY TONK WOMEN).
Everybody who does not feel and/or thinks IT MUST BE HELL is a warhorse is a fool.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2015 02:59

Undercover Of The Night was a #9 hit in the States and spent 3 weeks on the Top 10, (it was a #2 Rock Hit and #9 Dance Hit too) but it's an unknown song by the mainstream public, for many big artists (let alone regular acts) a song with such success it could be their comercial peak, but a #4 album and a Top 10 single by the Stones at the time was a rather low performance after so many #1 albums and 3 Top 3 massive hits in 1978-81.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2015 03:09

Title5Take1
3 million+ views so quickly. Probably sold a few Undercover downloads.

I listen to Undercover of the Night frequently, including the 12" single version. I can totally understand Fallon picking it.

Not the album, but UOTN was around #700-900 on the US Itunes chart by 3 days and now is #1100 or something, it sold 1,000 copies for sure, maybe a bit more.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1206
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home