Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Reassessing 81 tour/"Let's Spend the Night Together"
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:54

Well I believe that version of Jumping Jack Flash is from Love you Live. You can hear Ollie Brown.

Mick's vocals for the 81 leg were atrocious. I agree, he was running too much, doing too much coke, and just not really focusing on singing but more on the show. The Leeds release shows how much his voice improved, and for the European tour he sounded much better!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:58

Ah, thanks whitem8, for the correction. I suppose that would make sense, what with the movie in production the same year as the tour. But, for some reason, the version in that clip always reminded me of footage I'd seen from the tour.

You know, in all these years I've never owned a copy of or once heard Love You Live all the way through.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:59

Movie was fun to watch - I really liked beast of burden,the camera work. And they all looked so great, especially keith is there anyone cooler than KEEF ???
Great tour Seattle rocked !!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:00

stonehearted
Ah, thanks whitem8, for the correction. I suppose that would make sense, what with the movie in production the same year as the tour. But, for some reason, the version in that clip always reminded me of footage I'd seen from the tour.

You know, in all these years I've never owned a copy of or once heard Love You Live all the way through.

side 3 is all you need!

Date: July 28, 2015 03:02

umakmehrd
Movie was fun to watch - I really liked beast of burden,the camera work. And they all looked so great, especially keith is there anyone cooler than KEEF ???
Great tour Seattle rocked !!

yes... this was keith posing at its finest.
there's a moment in the movie where he is playing, then looks his pick, tosses it into the audience, grabs another and starts playing again. what's amazing is that it all happens as if it were just one single fluid motion. made me laugh.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:17

Geeze Turner68 - now I will have to watch it again.... but that's a good thing!!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:39

I cant watch it anymore. It's so bad.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 28, 2015 04:14

Turner68
stonehearted

side 3 is all you need!

Thanks. I'll see if I can get the local record shop to sell me side 3 only and drop 75% off the list price.

Date: July 28, 2015 04:16

stonehearted
Turner68
stonehearted

side 3 is all you need!

Thanks. I'll see if I can get the local record shop to sell me side 3 only and drop 75% off the list price.

itunes will :-)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 28, 2015 04:18

....it's when the Stones went from B&W ta technicolour ....hhhhaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 28, 2015 04:55

I don't know why LSTNT gets such a bad rap. I think the Stones are energetic and play well. It's a nice document of the '81 tour. And of course from this perspective they look "young." Keith still looks like Keith is "supposed" to look like. Mick's singing might not be "perfect" but it's a million times better than the 1975 tour. I think the absolute worst thing about the 1975 tour was Mick's vocals.

People praise Hampton, but I am so bummed out that it was shot on crappy video. How did we live with NTSC video for about 60 years?

Check out this guy, he has a bunch of songs from East Rutherford 1981 shot on FILM!!!!

Date: July 28, 2015 04:57

Perhaps you are not allowed to post YouTube links in this thread? The YouTube user with the 1981 East Rutherford show on film is "Ronald Rock."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-28 05:10 by MileHigh.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 28, 2015 05:05

MileHigh
Perhaps you are not allowed to post YouTube links in this thread? The YouTube user with the 1981 Eact Rutherford show on film is "Ronald Rock."

The link is there MileHigh, thanks. If you're using Chrome you just have to hit the shield icon in the upper right of the address bar (next to the bookmark star) and choose "load unsafe scripts".

Yikes, Keith's singing on SMU is a bit challenged to put it nicely. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-28 05:09 by Naturalust.

Date: July 28, 2015 05:14

Thanks. I am a new user of "NoScript" for Firefox. I am pretty sure I "allow all scripts" on this site but I still don't see the link. Oh well, I will worry about that some other day.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 28, 2015 05:32

My least favorite tour. Every song was speeded up like they just wanted to get the hell out of there. Ugly stage. Poor song selection. Horrendous costuming. The cherry picker. The ridiculous scarf trick during Tumbling Dice. And the show I saw in Boulder you couldn't be on the field unless you were a student. The first time the Stones ever disappointed me!

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 28, 2015 05:54

stonehearted
Love the movie and the Hampton CDs. I recall watching the movie on cable at the time and Mick's voice sounds better on the DVD re-release and the Hampton CDs, as if his vocals were sped up so as not to sound so lackluster and off key. His pronunciations of lyrics sounded imprecise, garbled even, as if he either (1) didn't really care, (2) hadn't yet mastered the art of running at full speed and singing, or (3) was still trying to out-punk the punks.

I'm guessing it's a combination of (2) and (3), but mostly of (3), because in the more recent DVD release and Hampton CDs he sounds nowhere near as off as I remember from back then.

Ever see the U.S. movie Night Shift from 1982, starring Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton? Check out this 2-minute clip where a live from 1981 Jumping Jack Flash was used in the movie, so you can hear how Mick really sounded at the time, compared to the more polished, sped-up vocals on the DVD and Hampton CDs. Notice a (big) difference?

Night Shift "car scene" featuring JJF: [www.youtube.com]

Embedded link:

I always thought that JJF was from Love You Live..still do

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 28, 2015 06:44

MileHigh
Thanks. I am a new user of "NoScript" for Firefox. I am pretty sure I "allow all scripts" on this site but I still don't see the link. Oh well, I will worry about that some other day.

For Firefox it's a little shield on the very left side of the address bar. You select it, then hit the Options button next to Insecure Content and select "disable protection for now". Good Luck.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 28, 2015 07:18

I've been wondering about this "sped up" stuff for awhile (not that I've decided to investigate it further than I'm doing right now), but if I can't do it, somebody will.

Is or is not the sped up version exclusive to PAL (European) copies of the movie (or copies of that)? I never noticed any speed problem on my VHS NTSC copy. I'm only mentioning this because it was pretty common at the time to do bad transfers, and you know, 50Hz vs 60Hz and you see that there may be a potential problem... and 24 FPS doesn't seem to really jibe with that PAL standard, from what I understand.

It's just that I've seen post after post of people who say the film is sped up. Where are you people from?

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I don't have a VCR handy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-28 07:23 by SharksWillCry.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 28, 2015 08:09

I'm surprised to hear so much negative thoughts about Micks voice in 81/82. As I said a lot better than in 75/76 and in 89/90 the attitude and arrogance in his voice were totaly gone. Of coursesinging clearer and - way too - polished.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 28, 2015 08:11

I wished they kept "Tops" in the set list. They played it at the first couple of concerts.

Ernie Watts joined the tour later in the fall and he could have done a lot with that song.

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: July 28, 2015 08:22

I loved The movie at the time because for us, in Australia, it was the only chance to see a "stones show". But I seem to remember some songs ,mainly towards the end , edited heavily with verses missing ?

Date: July 28, 2015 08:42

jonnylamar
I loved The movie at the time because for us, in Australia, it was the only chance to see a "stones show". But I seem to remember some songs ,mainly towards the end , edited heavily with verses missing ?

yes, and between 82 and 89, the only way for anyone to see a recent stones show!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 28, 2015 08:59

I saw this movie on the big screen in my home town(KeriKeri,New Zealand)I went with a friend of mine and there were about 5 people in the cinema.I suppose this was my 1st Stones Concert.

I love Lets Spend The Night Together.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: July 28, 2015 09:02

Good point turner68. Also maybe the movie was sped up as they do 24 songs in about 90 mins, no rambler and there were some short songs then, but still.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home