Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reassessing 81 tour/"Let's Spend the Night Together"
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 00:00

Although this was my first stones film and "Still Life" the first live album I ever listened to, I was never that impressed, and once I saw "Gimme Shelter" and "Ya-Ya's" I really looked down on the 1981 tour and its artifacts.

Recently the constant "Best Live Version" threads have led me to notice that for a lot of people 1981 produced their favorite live versions of various songs.

So I blasted out the film "Let's Spend the Night Together"

The band sounds really, really good on this tour. The problem all along, I realized, was Mick's horrendous "singing". Keith, Ronnie, Bill, and Charlie are all really on fire, the keyboards were sensational and the horn section good too. Most importantly, Keith was near his peak and Ronnie was playing very well too.

"Beast of Burden", "Shattered" "Let it Bleed" "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "under my thumb" are standouts for me.

The tempos were not the coked-up tempos of 72, but also not slow and plodding like some tours, I felt the tempos were just right.

For anyone else who like me wrote off the 1981 tour I would encourage giving some of the recordings a re-listen. It's a shame we couldn't have had Mick singing as well as he did in 1989 with the 1981 version of the band.

Re: Reassessing 81 tour/"Let's Spend the Night Together"
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 27, 2015 00:22

The problem with the film is that almost every song is edited (read: butchered) to omit any sense of buildup, jamming, etc.

Having listened to Hampton on the radio and playing the cassette I made that night and seeing the film, it just goes by too fast. The AZ shots are stunning, of course, but the soundtrack pales in comparison to the releases we have now.

I like the '81 Tour. It's the last pure rock n roll tour before '89, which, while I love it, was much more polished.

T@3

Date: July 27, 2015 00:24

TeaAtThree
The problem with the film is that almost every song is edited (read: butchered) to omit any sense of buildup, jamming, etc.

Having listened to Hampton on the radio and playing the cassette I made that night and seeing the film, it just goes by too fast. The AZ shots are stunning, of course, but the soundtrack pales in comparison to the releases we have now.

I like the '81 Tour. It's the last pure rock n roll tour before '89, which, while I love it, was much more polished.

T@3

yes, i agree, the actual recordings are much better. the quick cuts between songs are dumb. i was more trying to make a statement about the whole '81 tour, rather than the movie.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 27, 2015 00:38

Yes i don't understand what was going on with Mick's voice or dress sense on that tour.
The band were larger than life at that point, and i think they more than lived up to it.
This may be the first time the Stones were taken in by their own legend.
They were becoming caricatures of themselves.
But that being said, i still play this and the Leeds 82' show more than anything else over the years.
It makes me laugh too, the band interactions are funny.

Date: July 27, 2015 00:50

keefriffhards
Yes i don't understand what was going on with Mick's voice or dress sense on that tour.
The band were larger than life at that point, and i think they more than lived up to it.
This may be the first time the Stones were taken in by their own legend.
They were becoming caricatures of themselves.
But that being said, i still play this and the Leeds 82' show more than anything else over the years.
It makes me laugh too, the band interactions are funny.

Yeah they seem to be having more fun than usual, but still taking the music seriously. I like it. The 81 tour has moved up in my opinion. Maybe one of their top 5 tours.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 03:56

Turner68
The band sounds really, really good on this tour. The problem all along, I realized, was Mick's horrendous "singing".

That is excellent! You are CORRECT!

However, it's part of the charm of that tour. It's awesome and terrible at the same time. Under My Thumb? Excellent. LSTNT? Bad. Shattered? Horrible. Time On My Side? Awesome. Imagination? Awesome.

Etc. The movie... ha ha. It's just fun.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 27, 2015 04:27

Embarrassing.......the whole thing

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:36

Hampton Dec 19 absolutely burns for the first half of the show. Nearly flawless.

And the Seattle shows, especially the 15th, are excellent.
The first half of the tour isn't as tight, generally, but the guitar sounds are much better. At some point they made a big change in equipment and lost a bit of an edge off the sound - I think this is when they changed to the Mesa Boogie amps?

I thought the tour was mediocre at best back in the day, but as time has passed it was clearly their last great tour. They still played hard and fast, had that great onstage arrogance, like you were privileged to be in the same room, and really took many of their songs out with jams etc. you don't see/hear that anymore from them. Imagination was incredible. Great ragged backup vocals throughout the set too.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:52

Best UMT ever, IMO.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 27, 2015 11:28

In the early nineties i bought Still Life and with the great exception Under my Thumb (excellent) I wasnt impressed.

Then I saw Let's spend The Night Together (the Movie) and thought it was horrible.

So suddenly the Hampton 81 was released in 2011 and the show was outstanding. Terrific. Mindblowing.

Best version ever of: Neighbours, Imagination, Let it Bleed, Time is On my side, Waiting on A Friend, Beast Of Burden and Miss You.

And the Leedsshow from 82 is also really great. Best versions ever of Under My Thumb (so fast) Let's Spend The Night Together and Shattered.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 27, 2015 11:41

When I first heard Under My Thumb on the Still-Life-album, I was blown away. It is great. Although we now have Hampton, Leeds and countless bootlegs from that tour, I still like the Still-Life-album, although it is short and overdubbed. The vinyl-copy of it simply has the best sound.

I saw the Hal-Ashby-film "Rocks Off" in a movie theater back then and was very pleased. After having seen this movie I became a serious fan of the Stones and began to collect recordings. Prior to that my only Stones-recordings were Rolled Gold, Some Girls and a cassete copy of Tattoo You.

I believe this tour was the last time, people saw the "real Stones". Then came the bigger-than-life-tours, the inflateable dolls and a dozen musicians to back up the Stones. In some way it was more about entertainment than rock n roll. Still good, but somewhat got lost forever.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 27, 2015 11:41

And I have no problem with Mick and hus singing. Like the arrogant voice in 81/82. He sings à bit more relaxed in 82.

Like it à lot better than the cookiemonstersinging in 75/76 or the too polished singing in89/90.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 27, 2015 12:25

Tops
And I have no problem with Mick and hus singing. Like the arrogant voice in 81/82. He sings à bit more relaxed in 82.

Like it à lot better than the cookiemonstersinging in 75/76 or the too polished singing in89/90.

Could´nt agree morethumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 13:04

I love the 1981 tour; on first viewings when becoming a fan I felt they looked ridiculous compared to what I saw from the late 60s and 70s. However, musically, I had always like the LSTNT movie and 'Still life' album.

What really made the difference was the Hampton Pro Shot and Audio release; I cannot understate just how revelatory this release was; absolutely wonderful show! Following this I revisited other Pro Shots (Seattle, Houston, Wembley); also loved the Leeds 1982 audio release; the 1981 tour feels like 'the Stones'! In 1989 something did change, they were and still are a great live act, but, that 1981 tour really was the Stones as they were.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 27, 2015 13:35

If anything, I am always amazed to see how many people did NOT like this amazing tour, Jagger's singing, Jagger's stage clothes (brilliant) and the Still Life album.

Still Life, even with its absurd edits, even now with the full releases available, remains my fav (ok, not necessarily the best) Stones' live album.

C

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 27, 2015 14:17

1981/82 My first tour. My first time seeing them. After waiting for 11 years
(before 1973 just 12 or 1976 only 15 ). Hannover, Germany. Poor Peter Maffay and
great J.Geils Band as support. Then the Keith, Charlie, Ronnie - the first time
in real person in front of me. Then - a bit of seconds later - Mick!
"UNDER MY THUMB"!
Unbelievable.

Like coming home on an own new planet.

Never left it since.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 27, 2015 14:34

I've always loved the '81 tour - the guitars sound great and Keith's new stage persona
as a full-grown extra-strength muscular & wild rock & roller (shown actual size!) is a joy to see.
I love the Keith'n'Ronnie backing vocals; and who cares what the Mick was wearing
when Keith's plainly got no underwear on. :E

- 1981 (is it a Philip Kamin shot? I'm not sure)

Ahem - I mean: I protest the concept of assessing the 81 tour on the basis of "Let's Spend the Night Together".
Butchering the numbers and then speeding them up must have seemed like a good idea at the time,
but it makes the film pretty unwatchable now. Which is too bad, since some of the footage is quite charming.
But the 81 tour was hot, and Hampton is the gig that has everything.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:22

Great tour
The flaws are so important it couldn't be flawless without them...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:54

with sssoul
I've always loved the '81 tour - the guitars sound great and Keith's new stage persona
as a full-grown extra-strength muscular & wild rock & roller (shown actual size!) is a joy to see.
I love the Keith'n'Ronnie backing vocals; and who cares what the Mick was wearing

Ahem - I mean: I protest the concept of assessing the 81 tour on the basis of "Let's Spend the Night Together".
Butchering the numbers and then speeding them up must have seemed like a good idea at the time,
but it makes the film pretty unwatchable now. Which is too bad, since some of the footage is quite charming.

Absolutely agreed with sssoul; Hampton is perhaps my favourite Pro Shot of them all! It really was a revelation; I'd not watched '81 for a long time, my interest was still watching '69, '71, '72, '75, '76, '78 (lucky we have all of those). I must have watched Hampton 5 times that first week I bought it; and I listen to the audio quite regularly. Leeds '82 is very good too, but for me Hampton is THE one! Up there with 'Live in Texas '78' as my favourite DVD.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:24

re-release oct 2015

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:27

Thrylan
Best UMT ever, IMO.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:33

Munichhilton
Great tour
The flaws are so important it couldn't be flawless without them...

That's what's so great about the tour and the movie, especially. The grunting is hilarious, the fast pace of some songs is mind blowing. The screw ups are awesome. It's awful and brilliant at the same time.

Date: July 27, 2015 18:54

with sssoul

Regarding your first paragraph - I agree!
Regarding your second - the film is a good enough document to get someone like me, who had completely written off the tour, to re-assess it. My main point was around the tour, not the film. But I'm glad the film was made as it captures so many great moments.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 27, 2015 21:47

34 years ago, such a long time. I saw them three times in '81 (plus the PPV), and I must say it was a FUN tour. The Stones looked good and they sounded good. The last tour of the classic Stones.

Opening night, JFK - drove from Columbus to Philly all alone (just broke up with girlfriend of 4 years). Arrived downtown around noonish and got a hotel room for about $60. Freshened up and headed down to JFK. Bought a GA ticket outside the stadium for $5. There were two types of GA tickets: field and bowl. I got a bowl ticket, but snuck down on the field and wound up about 20 feet from the stage, Keith-side. Don't remember the opening acts' performances at all.

The Stones were sloppy and under-rehearsed that day, but I didn't care too much. It was a fun show. The bright colors of their clothes and of the stage were so cool. Bill Wyman in that yellow suit. The mulligan on Let it Bleed. A Happy crowd and a mild sunny day. Tops. The cherry picker. One of the most memorable shows I ever saw.

That night I was walking downtown and saw my first rat as it scurried across the sidewalk in front of me. Later I went to a go-go club.

2nd night, JFK - it was Saturday, so I reconed from the get-go that a $5 ticket would be hard to find. I got on the subway and right away a scalper offered me a field seat for $20 so I bought it. Ended up in about the same location as the first show. This was the better show. Band was a little tighter. Mona and Down the Road Apiece made the whole trip worth it.

Now, after those JFK shows I'm thinking "ok, fun shows for sure, but this is probably it for the band. They're not as good as they used to be and this will most likely be their last tour".

Then, POW, they hit me with Cleveland!

Cleveland (1st night) - My first indoor Stones concert. There was a mail-in lottery system for tickets to the two shows at Richfield Coliseum. I put in two entries and got two sets of shitty seats for the same show. On the drive up the radio stations were making a big deal warning not to scalp tickets at the arena.

It was like a whole different band than the Philly openers. They were incredible. Definately in the top 10 of the best Stones concerts I ever saw. YCAGWYW stood out. They put in a stop that was not there in the Philly shows. The performance was probably roughly on par with Hampton.

If I had to rate them (going back to '72), I'd put the Tattoo tour maybe about #3 after '72 and '99. It just seems to me (maybe I'm wrong) that there was something just a little more light-hearted and fun-loving than the other tours and the mood was a lot less heavy. Yeah, a FUN tour.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 21:58 by josepi.

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: July 28, 2015 00:06

I think the 1981 tour deserves credit - both on its own, and in context.

Standing on its own, it was a great tour. Probably Hampton was the best of the shows, but I had friends who saw them in at least five different cities on the tour (including in the dreadful wind and rain in Buffalo), and all said the shows were fantastic.

By "in context," here is what I mean:

The post-'72 tours had Mick's Cookie Monster singing holding them back musically.

They had some very good performances, but also some very bad ones.

One or more band members were enough under the influence of drugs to limit their performances.

The 1978 tour was done under the cloud of Keith's possible long-term incarceration. And its relatively short setlist, heavy on Some Girls cuts, and no encore, alienated a lot of fans.

Virtually every tour of the 1970s was accompanied by lots of fan arrests or violence.

And with the 1981 tour, they "refound" their game. Long and diverse setlist, encores, the band was the healthiest and most clean-and-sober they'd been in more than a decade, and the concerts were more about the music than violence and arrests.

Also, although perhaps there was nothing to match MSG '72 or LA Forum '75, in general, especially for the second half of the tour, the Stones were at the top of their game.

Finally, 1981 was the last time the Stones toured in support of a just-released "epic" album - big-selling, and with broad and deep appeal among both hardcore fans and the general public, and generally positive reviews and long-term staying power.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 28, 2015 00:29

caschimann
1981/82 My first tour. My first time seeing them. After waiting for 11 years
(before 1973 just 12 or 1976 only 15 ). Hannover, Germany. Poor Peter Maffay and
great J.Geils Band as support. Then the Keith, Charlie, Ronnie - the first time
in real person in front of me. Then - a bit of seconds later - Mick!
"UNDER MY THUMB"!
Unbelievable.

Like coming home on an own new planet.

Never left it since.

thumbs up

I landed on this planet in Rotterdam june 2, 1982.
My first Rolling Stones album was Rolled Gold (Decca compilation double vinyl) in 1975/76 aged 11/12 and SOME GIRLS at age 14 in 1978 made me a believer (IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL BUT I LIKE IT) for life.
A bit scary hey! >grinning smiley<hot smileysmileys with beerthumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 28, 2015 00:45

I sure got my $16 worth of entertainment from the show I saw.

I wouldn't say they were particularly clean and sober for the tour. We were close to the stage and I remember clearly thinking Keith and especially Ronnie looked a bit wired. I remember Ronnie chewing the hell out of his cigs and Keith disappearing behind the backdrop more than a few times and coming back sweating and fully refreshed. winking smiley But to be honest I was a bit infatuated with the whole music and drugs connection at the time and could have been reading more into what I saw than was real.

Listening back to some of those shows I do believe Jaggers sing leaves much to be desired but at the time it didn't bother me at all. After years of shows it's now easier to be a critic of such things.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 28, 2015 00:57

I love everything about the 81 tour. Everything. It was my very first show, so I'm sentimental about it I guess.

However, Let's Spend the Night Together is a horrible hatchet job.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:44

Love the movie and the Hampton CDs. I recall watching the movie on cable at the time and Mick's voice sounds better on the DVD re-release and the Hampton CDs, as if his vocals were sped up so as not to sound so lackluster and off key. His pronunciations of lyrics sounded imprecise, garbled even, as if he either (1) didn't really care, (2) hadn't yet mastered the art of running at full speed and singing, or (3) was still trying to out-punk the punks.

I'm guessing it's a combination of (2) and (3), but mostly of (3), because in the more recent DVD release and Hampton CDs he sounds nowhere near as off as I remember from back then.

Ever see the U.S. movie Night Shift from 1982, starring Henry Winkler and Michael Keaton? Check out this 2-minute clip where a live from 1981 Jumping Jack Flash was used in the movie, so you can hear how Mick really sounded at the time, compared to the more polished, sped-up vocals on the DVD and Hampton CDs. Notice a (big) difference?

Night Shift "car scene" featuring JJF: [www.youtube.com]

Embedded link:

Date: July 28, 2015 02:52

it's almost embarrassing to hear him singing like that, but thanks for the clip!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home