Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: U2 show break after 10 songs
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:18

Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

It is. To a point. There are triggers for some things, recordings - either from the studio record or done specifically for the tour. The gist of the performance is live, though.

I should hope so.

so here is the money question: which is more "live" - the current u2 tour, or the official "get yer ya-ya's out" with all the overdubs?

Ya Ya has overdubs, but the show itself was live

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:19

mtaylor
Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

It is. To a point. There are triggers for some things, recordings - either from the studio record or done specifically for the tour. The gist of the performance is live, though.

I should hope so.

so here is the money question: which is more "live" - the current u2 tour, or the official "get yer ya-ya's out" with all the overdubs?

i understand. i'm talking about the overdubbed ya-ya's, versus what the audience hears at a U2 show. the U2 show might have so many taped performances playing during it that the ya-ya's album captures more of what was played live.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 22:55

Having seen U2 once on every tour since 1987 (the Joshua Tree Tour), I find it impossible to believe that all of the music heard by the audience at the show comes from the 4 core members on Stage. I've heard backing vocals with no microphone to be seen near anyone other than Bono!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 22:57 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 27, 2015 22:59

grzegorz67
Having seen U2 once on every tour since 1987 (the Joshua Tree Tour), I find it impossible to believe that all ofvthe music heard by the audience at the show comes from the 4 core members on Stage. I've heard backing vocals with no microphone to be seen near anyone other than Bono!

I'm not a fan of U2, but I imagine this is a disappointment to most fans.

Olly.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 28, 2015 00:36

The intermission avails a cut and run opportunity.Easy exit strategy.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 28, 2015 01:16

mtaylor
Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

I should hope so.

Don't the Stones use canned drums in SFTD? Here is the "money" question: DO fans feel they get a value when the see U2 or the Stones? Having seen both bands over 10 times I would say "yes".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 01:22

steverogan
mtaylor
Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

I should hope so.

Don't the Stones use canned drums in SFTD? Here is the "money" question: DO fans feel they get a value when the see U2 or the Stones? Having seen both bands over 10 times I would say "yes".

Indeed.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: July 28, 2015 01:49

grzegorz67
Having seen U2 once on every tour since 1987 (the Joshua Tree Tour), I find it impossible to believe that all of the music heard by the audience at the show comes from the 4 core members on Stage. I've heard backing vocals with no microphone to be seen near anyone other than Bono!

confused smiley Open your eyes then, Edge is wearing a headset microphone all the time

Date: July 28, 2015 01:57

firebird
grzegorz67

confused smiley Open your eyes then, Edge is wearing a headset microphone all the time

the edge is, of course, the main backup singer, always has been, and sings during their live shows.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:04

Turner68
firebird
grzegorz67

the edge is, of course, the main backup singer, always has been, and sings during their live shows.

Not only does he sing he's got a pretty decent falsetto. Check out from 04:04 on.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2015 02:39

mtaylor
Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

I should hope so.

To my knowledge, in 1969 nobody used studio recordings to be the backbone of a song or support a song when played in concerts on a tour.

Date: July 28, 2015 02:53

GasLightStreet
mtaylor
Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

I should hope so.

To my knowledge, in 1969 nobody used studio recordings to be the backbone of a song or support a song when played in concerts on a tour.

correct. nor was anyone claiming that.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:09

Turner68
GasLightStreet
mtaylor
Turner68
Olly
GasLightStreet

I should hope so.

correct. nor was anyone claiming that.

It was sort of a giggle at "Ya Ya has overdubs, but the show itself was live."

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 28, 2015 07:02

custom55
Rush break twice for their current 3 hour show. The breaks are about 10 mins with a movie to keep you entertained. Good time to get a beer and bathroom break.

Sounds kind of like a break a band would have if they were extending a bridge or catwalk out to a separate stage in the middle of the arena/stadium. Maybe with some funk music playing after some space age sound effects.

And while I'm out here: I can't believe they keep the keyboard player hidden. Serious arrogance and self-importance there. Nothing new for U2 though.

Date: July 28, 2015 07:56

JMARKO
custom55
Rush break twice for their current 3 hour show. The breaks are about 10 mins with a movie to keep you entertained. Good time to get a beer and bathroom break.

Sounds kind of like a break a band would have if they were extending a bridge or catwalk out to a separate stage in the middle of the arena/stadium. Maybe with some funk music playing after some space age sound effects.

And while I'm out here: I can't believe they keep the keyboard player hidden. Serious arrogance and self-importance there. Nothing new for U2 though.

there is a camera on him. he gets a mention. he doesn't want to be on stage with the rest of the original band

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 28, 2015 10:18

keefriffhard4life
grzegorz67
pgarof
It's great to see just 4 guys on stage playing Rock and Roll how they always have with no backing musicians and singers, all origional I think.

U2 are well known to make heavy use of playbacks and backing tracks - up to 50% on some songs. So when you see them live, as I have done 6 times since the 80s, you're hearing half band,half karaoke.... And I'm seeing them in London in November. I wasn't going to bother this time, but the ticket was cheap for GA so I'll be there.

never heard that really. i thought most of it is was the keyboard player who is out of site

Do you have to be a fan club member to get the cheap GA? Was thinking about going but I hate that 4th tier at the O2 (maybe slight vertigo, no pun intended) and 1st tier is £180...only 1 band I'd pay £180 for and that isn't U2

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 17:55

Saw U2 at MSG last night. GREAT show, visually. The sound was, in a word, atrocious. Muddy, clipped, shrill. I recognised all the songs being a fan, but "heard" only a few. They have obviously invested heavily in visual and lighting and video wiz kids. Get some sound engineers guys.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 05:53

U2 use some backing tapes no different to 90% of major bands these days (The Stones, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters etc etc)
Obviously the bulk of the performance is live, the vocals, drums, guitars etc just like The Stones.

This tour has been outstanding so far; I have to say I was surprised about hearing about sound issues; the shows I saw in Chicago were GA and the sound was great.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 07:02

exhpart
keefriffhard4life
grzegorz67
pgarof
It's great to see just 4 guys on stage playing Rock and Roll how they always have with no backing musicians and singers, all origional I think.

U2 are well known to make heavy use of playbacks and backing tracks - up to 50% on some songs. So when you see them live, as I have done 6 times since the 80s, you're hearing half band,half karaoke.... And I'm seeing them in London in November. I wasn't going to bother this time, but the ticket was cheap for GA so I'll be there.

never heard that really. i thought most of it is was the keyboard player who is out of site

Do you have to be a fan club member to get the cheap GA? Was thinking about going but I hate that 4th tier at the O2 (maybe slight vertigo, no pun intended) and 1st tier is £180...only 1 band I'd pay £180 for and that isn't U2

Got two GA tickets for the first gig on the general sale. Did not want to spend too much as they are not my favourite band. Should be a great gig, looking forward to itgrinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-29 07:08 by desertblues68.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 29, 2015 12:23

jrcjohnny99
U2 use some backing tapes no different to 90% of major bands these days (The Stones, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters etc etc)
Obviously the bulk of the performance is live, the vocals, drums, guitars etc just like The Stones.

This tour has been outstanding so far; I have to say I was surprised about hearing about sound issues; the shows I saw in Chicago were GA and the sound was great.

It really depends on the place in venue. Me a guy who like to wander a lot around at the stadium or arena I see a band (just to get a lot of different impressions, perspectives etc.), being mostly lucky with security by doing that have to say: The Sound Quality is different in each region. So that´s why sometimes people place their report here about the same gig - giving us the feeling they can´t talk about the same event.

Date: July 29, 2015 12:45

caschimann
jrcjohnny99

It really depends on the place in venue. Me a guy who like to wander a lot around at the stadium or arena I see a band (just to get a lot of different impressions, perspectives etc.), being mostly lucky with security by doing that have to say: The Sound Quality is different in each region. So that´s why sometimes people place their report here about the same gig - giving us the feeling they can´t talk about the same event.

this is true but on this tour i believe most of U2s equipment is on the ceiling or something like that which should in theory make the sound more uniform i would imagine

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home