Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Warhorses as of 2015
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:43

Thrylan
GasLightStreet
Thrylan
So......since 82', they have played SMU 173 more times than MY??? BS! That just doesn't make sense. I see the numbers, however I have questioned the accuracy of that site before- on the subject of set lists. I don't think I need to do much research, I can do math! SMU was played 34 times in the US in 1999, if we assume they played it all all EIGHT..(8), dates in Europe, That stl leaves 131 discrepancy......... I'm not buying. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want a bunch of new boots!

You are wrong. In fact, you're inventing things. Like this:

Thrylan
So that cancels out the 78' touf - they only played SMU 7 times on that one.......

They didn't play Start Me Up on the 1978 tour.

Caught you on the sarcasm there......should have said Brussels 73'- Best SMU ever!!!

OK, so I was mistaken, but even with what you cited, I'm not sure we got to the magic number of 131.......130, Superbowl..... Lol

It does seem incredulous but really, you have to believe it. Notice no one has said otherwise.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 23, 2015 19:11

Several of the 2002/3 club shows had only a handful of Warhorses.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 19:15

GasLightStreet
Thrylan
GasLightStreet
Thrylan
So......since 82', they have played SMU 173 more times than MY??? BS! That just doesn't make sense. I see the numbers, however I have questioned the accuracy of that site before- on the subject of set lists. I don't think I need to do much research, I can do math! SMU was played 34 times in the US in 1999, if we assume they played it all all EIGHT..(8), dates in Europe, That stl leaves 131 discrepancy......... I'm not buying. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want a bunch of new boots!

Thrylan
So that cancels out the 78' touf - they only played SMU 7 times on that one.......

Caught you on the sarcasm there......should have said Brussels 73'- Best SMU ever!!!

OK, so I was mistaken, but even with what you cited, I'm not sure we got to the magic number of 131.......130, Superbowl..... Lol

It does seem incredulous but really, you have to believe it. Notice no one has said otherwise.

I don't have to.......but I will.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 21:28

I would like to see them drop the following or at least not play every show and put into a "warhorse rotation"

1. Miss You- sick of this song but realize a lot of people like it.
2. It's only rock n'roll- Some nights it's good and others it's a train wreck
3. YCAGWYW- I think this will need to be kept unless you substitute another warhorse ballad like Wild Horses (which I could also do without)
4.Tumbling Dice_ Played well on this tour but has been abysmal in the recent past and is getting dull and repetitive. Could be moved to rotation as well.
5. Paint it Black_ Unless they pick up the tempo for this song, it's not worth playing in my opinion.
6. Gimme Shelter could be placed in warhorse rotation. There are other songs in the Stones catalog to spotlight Lisa. Perhaps bring back Monkey Man which she was fabulous on back in the day.
7. Honky Tonk Women: May not eliminate the song from the set list but get rid of the damn cowbell and let Keith play the opening chord for thirty to forty seconds like he used to. Freakin' rocked back then. It's a joke now, or a bathroom break song.

Songs to add:

!. Out of Control- "Modern day" hit for the band that brings tons of energy from the crowd and played so well by the band.
2. Street Fighting Man- See Out of Control
3. Ruby Tuesday- Jagger loves this song and it would be the one great ballad for Jagger to sing every night. Possibly could rotate with Angie or Wild Horses, but I too like the idea of rotating in Moonlight Mile
4. Shattered: Most either love or hate this song. I love it, but only if played uptempo. The version from Shine a Light sucked.
5. Beast of Burden: Not one my personal favs, but is played well most nights, Keith and Mick seem to both like playing it and would recall the days from their second coming i.e. 1978-1981. Could be rotated in with another song from that era, perhaps Waiting On A Friend.

Ok, I need to stop since there are so many songs they could add to every show to become "a warhorse", but many a fan would not see these songs as such.

I hope for the people who see them next that they do change it up by eliminating one or two warhorses.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: July 23, 2015 21:57

rockdoc8885
I would like to see them drop the following or at least not play every show and put into a "warhorse rotation"

1. Miss You- sick of this song but realize a lot of people like it.
2. It's only rock n'roll- Some nights it's good and others it's a train wreck
3. YCAGWYW- I think this will need to be kept unless you substitute another warhorse ballad like Wild Horses (which I could also do without)
4.Tumbling Dice_ Played well on this tour but has been abysmal in the recent past and is getting dull and repetitive. Could be moved to rotation as well.
5. Paint it Black_ Unless they pick up the tempo for this song, it's not worth playing in my opinion.
6. Gimme Shelter could be placed in warhorse rotation. There are other songs in the Stones catalog to spotlight Lisa. Perhaps bring back Monkey Man which she was fabulous on back in the day.
7. Honky Tonk Women: May not eliminate the song from the set list but get rid of the damn cowbell and let Keith play the opening chord for thirty to forty seconds like he used to. Freakin' rocked back then. It's a joke now, or a bathroom break song.

Songs to add:

!. Out of Control- "Modern day" hit for the band that brings tons of energy from the crowd and played so well by the band.
2. Street Fighting Man- See Out of Control
3. Ruby Tuesday- Jagger loves this song and it would be the one great ballad for Jagger to sing every night. Possibly could rotate with Angie or Wild Horses, but I too like the idea of rotating in Moonlight Mile
4. Shattered: Most either love or hate this song. I love it, but only if played uptempo. The version from Shine a Light sucked.
5. Beast of Burden: Not one my personal favs, but is played well most nights, Keith and Mick seem to both like playing it and would recall the days from their second coming i.e. 1978-1981. Could be rotated in with another song from that era, perhaps Waiting On A Friend.

Ok, I need to stop since there are so many songs they could add to every show to become "a warhorse", but many a fan would not see these songs as such.

I hope for the people who see them next that they do change it up by eliminating one or two warhorses.

That is not needed in any way whatsoever. Her role is background singer, not front and center.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 21:58 by JTHanis.

Date: July 23, 2015 22:16

Thrylan
GasLightStreet
Thrylan
GasLightStreet
Thrylan

Thrylan

I don't have to.......but I will.

Sure, you don't have to. But. It's been brought up many times here and figured out. No one is telling you otherwise. There's no reason for anyone to make up something that's not true regarding these kind of statistics when, if you want, you can look for yourself and find the exact same results.

Posted by: thatbird ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:25

the warhorses are the easiest to play....all of them

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:32

Out of control was definite highlight in buffalo I would prefer more 90 and 80 st if but most people like those warhorse songs please get rid of miss you do summer romance or let me go and go back to under my thumb,

Date: July 23, 2015 22:42

Wild horses keith singing back up was awesome. Dump midnight rambler add rocks off or loving cup ,respectable,rip this joint,for a ballad almost hear u sigh,

Re: Let go of their ears - they know what they're doing
Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 23, 2015 23:27

with sssoul
My theory is that YCAGWYW is used as an encore because it's easy on Mick's voice.

i've thought along this line as well

could be that certain songs are included in order to give a rest to vocal chords or otherwise allow a break of one form or another

i vote for prodigal son to become a warhorse - with mick jagger and keith richards sharing a mike!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 23, 2015 23:34

Under My Thumb is WH worthy IMO.

Date: July 23, 2015 23:43

jazzbass

Nah. It hasn't been played that much, really, compared to the warhorses.

Let's Spend The Night Together is closer...

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 23, 2015 23:49

jazzbass

With it's prominent bass, it could replace 'Miss You.'

Olly.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 24, 2015 00:37

It's only rock'n'roll has to go (wasnt à warhorse before 1989. Boring. Jagger understood the commercial capicity of the song in the 80's. Playing it at live aid and solo Tours)

Songs with capicity of being à warhorse:
But isnt...:
Ruby Tuesday
Paint It Black
Lets spend the night Together
Under My thumb
Wild Horses
Rocks Off
Beast of Burden

Some fantastic songs that should have been played more often:
No Expectations ( timeless Classic)
Get Off of My cloud
I'm free
Time Waits for no one
Winter - My all time favourite
Waiting on à Friend
And actually undercover of the night

Date: July 24, 2015 00:56

Tops
It's only rock'n'roll has to go (wasnt à warhorse before 1989. Boring. Jagger understood the commercial capicity of the song in the 80's. Playing it at live aid and solo Tours)

Songs with capicity of being à warhorse:
But isnt...:
Ruby Tuesday
Paint It Black
Lets spend the night Together
Under My thumb
Wild Horses
Rocks Off
Beast of Burden

Some fantastic songs that should have been played more often:
No Expectations ( timeless Classic)
Get Off of My cloud
I'm free
Time Waits for no one
Winter - My all time favourite
Waiting on à Friend
And actually undercover of the night

Emotional Rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: July 24, 2015 01:03

Does anyone think there will be a live album from this tour?

Date: July 24, 2015 01:23

ohmercy61
Does anyone think there will be a live album from this tour?

No reason to not think so ha ha!

But... it's not necessary considering the amount of warhorses played on the tour. STICKY FINGERS my ass. Just go play disc 1 of LIVE LICKS...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:49

i agree with a lot of the posts here, the stones have far too many great and good songs to just limit every concert to the same 14 or 15 songs.

i also feel a lot of songs are warhorses only because they have been played to death, not because they are any better than those songs that rarely feature.

that you got me rocking is so high up the lsit of the most played stones songs ever tells its own story.

if the stones had played respectable every gig in the last 20 years instead of its only rock and roll then that would be warhorse instead. its only rock and roll is ok, its nothing compared to much of exile or even goats head soup.

ive always said, only 3 songs should be present at every gig.

brown sugar
paint it black
jj flash

and then they can dig out all the songs they have so neglected over the years.

what about playing

little t and a
slave
too tough
shattered
crazy mama
if you cant rock me
heartbreaker
star star
loving cup
torn and frayed
rip this joint

and make them mini warhorses for a period of time.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:51

I think that these songs should be considered warhorses as of now:
1) Satisfaction 2) JJ Flash 3) Brown Sugar 4) Start Me Up 5) Midnight Rambler 6) Tumbling Dice 7) Honky Tonk Women 8) Gimme Shelter
9) Sympathy for the Devil 10) You can't always Get What You Want 11) Miss You 12) Happy 13) Before They Make Me Run 14) It's only R&R
15) You Got Me Rocking 16) Wild Horses 17) Paint it Black

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 24, 2015 02:06

buttons67

brown sugar
paint it black
jj flash

Why does this song make it into your top three?

Is it personal preference or do you feel it is held in such high esteem by the majority of concert-goers? Does it have a particular resonance and significance withy regards to time of release, musical style, lyrical content?

Olly.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 24, 2015 02:48

Add:
If You Can't Rock Me
Hey Negrita
Time Waits for No One
Lowdown
Flip the Switch

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 02:51

Olly
buttons67

brown sugar
paint it black
jj flash

Why does this song make it into your top three?

Is it personal preference or do you feel it is held in such high esteem by the majority of concert-goers? Does it have a particular resonance and significance withy regards to time of release, musical style, lyrical content?

i think it's actually the stones tune that is most downloaded on iTunes...

Date: July 24, 2015 02:57

Stoneage
1) Satisfaction 2) JJ Flash 3) Brown Sugar 4) Start Me Up 5) Midnight Rambler 6) Tumbling Dice 7) Honky Tonk Women 8) Gimme Shelter
9) Sympathy for the Devil 10) You can't always Get What You Want 11) Miss You 12) Happy 13) Before They Make Me Run 14) It's only R&R

You just rearranging my arrangement I already arranged? Oh I see, you added Wild Horses.

GasLightStreet
Warhorses - songs played live a lot
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - toss; boring
Paint It Black - toss
Jumpin' Jack Flash - toss; they haven't played it live worth a shit for eons
Sympathy For The Devil - toss; horrible
Street Fighting Man - keep
Midnight Rambler - keep
Gimme Shelter - toss
You Can't Always Get What You Want - toss
Honky Tonk Women - toss
Brown Sugar - keep
Tumbling Dice - keep
Happy - keep
Angie - toss
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) - toss; horrible
Miss You - toss; replace with Emotional Rescue
Respectable - toss
Before They Make Me Run - toss
Start Me Up - toss
You Got Me Rocking - toss; this song sucks yet they play it every tour

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 03:31

paint it black is unique, its one of the best they ever did, and has that exotic sound from an era when they had a bit of mystic about them.

should be played every gig, and played well.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 24, 2015 04:53

Stoneage

I don't consider any song a warhorse if it is rotated. My list speaks of 2012 on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 04:55 by donvis.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 07:31

I think Brown Sugar and JJF are the 2 that should feature every night. Thereafter, it's all fair game. Some that I'd love to see from my dream set list:

Hang Fire
Lowdown
One Hit
Almost Hear You Sigh
Thru & Thru
Coming Down Again
Losing My Touch
Pretty Beat Up
Mixed Emotions
Baby Break It Down
Mother's Little Helper
Out of Time
Try a Little Harder
Hand of Fate
Let Me Go
Going to a Go-Go
Winter
Blue Turns to Grey
Driving Too Fast
Jump On Top of Me
She's A Rainbow
As Tears Go By
Tell Me

I could do without IORR, Miss You, Tumbling Dice. I agree that they're all pretty boring these days, though of the 3 I think Miss You still has life in it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 24, 2015 17:07

Hit filled dream setlist with a few gems for next tour:

Under My Thumb
JJF
Beast Of Burden
Mother's Little Helper
Gimme Shelter
Fool To Cry/Memory Motel
Emotional Rescue
Out Of Time

Acoustic set on B-stage

Angie/Wild Horses
Waiting On A Friend
Country Honk

Satisfaction
She's So Cold
Heartbreaker
Rocks Off
Happy w/Mick
Ruby Tuesday
Monkey Man
19th Nervous Breakdown
Get Off My Cloud

Encores

Till The Next Goodbye
The Last Time

Date: July 24, 2015 18:54

Heartbreaker would a great one to bring back!

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:58

VoodooLounge13
I think Brown Sugar and JJF are the 2 that should feature every night. Thereafter, it's all fair game. Some that I'd love to see from my dream set list:

Hang Fire
Lowdown
One Hit
Almost Hear You Sigh
Thru & Thru
Coming Down Again
Losing My Touch
Pretty Beat Up
Mixed Emotions
Baby Break It Down
Mother's Little Helper
Out of Time
Try a Little Harder
Hand of Fate
Let Me Go
Going to a Go-Go
Winter
Blue Turns to Grey
Driving Too Fast
Jump On Top of Me
She's A Rainbow
As Tears Go By
Tell Me

I could do without IORR, Miss You, Tumbling Dice. I agree that they're all pretty boring these days, though of the 3 I think Miss You still has life in it.

question: would you rather see them play "blue turns to grey" or "satisfaction"?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 15:35

Blue Turns To Grey. I've seen Satisfaction a gazillion times, annnnnnnnnnd as the Band themselves proved on the No Security tour, they don't need to play it all the time to still put on one helluva show!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home