Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Jagger v Roger Daltrey (2015)
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 22, 2015 19:16

While i understand that both are very different singers, they are still 2 of the few still keeping the flame burning from the 60s and i am a fan of both singers and both bands (although The Stones will always be my favourites) but in recent weeks it's become evident to me that Mick at this stage is singing way better than Roger on admittedly easier material to sing but after witnessing The Who's Glastonbury performance (yes i know there were problems with equipment that night) and then in Paris i was quite saddened at how Roger's voice is sounding on the wane. I can't hear him above the band. Has this been the way throughout the current Who tour or is it a case of too many shows with too little a break compared to The Stones who will do 2 shows a week in shorter burst tours? whatever it is, age probably the biggest factor, but at this very moment for me Mick Jagger is a far better singer and as much as i adore The Rolling Stones with all my heart and soul i never thought i'd see the day where i said that.

Re: Mick Jagger v Roger Daltrey (2015)
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 22, 2015 20:32

Mick has a better voice coach.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 22, 2015 20:45

Mick has the better band

Date: July 22, 2015 20:47

I prefer Mick since the main energy left the Who after 1978...

I don't think either one sings like they used to (obviously), but I prefer Mick. I saw the Who's 12-12-12 television performance, although I'll admit I skipped around their set. Roger's voice wasn't great, and if I'd have my way, I'd prefer Roger Waters over Roger Daltrey...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 22, 2015 20:52

Roger's voice wasn't great, and if I'd have my way, I'd prefer Roger Waters over Roger Daltrey...[/quote]

but what about Roger Federer?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:15

Mick has the good sense to leave his shirt on.....

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:21

Seen both this year (The who in Belfast & the Stones in Buffalo). Jagger sounded miles better. Daltrey sounded poor. Not sure if it was the equipment or the voice itself

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:29

wow what a good question. My two main guys. I will just say Roger in his prime beats Jagger on all fronts, but as they perform today, it is Jagger who never disappoints.

Date: July 22, 2015 21:34

Or i should of said Mick has Keith. There is only one. God i love Keith. Sorry ive had a few beers lol

Date: July 22, 2015 21:37

Mick is the best performer in the world but Roger has a better voice inho

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 12:58 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:40

Let me add, being a great front man isn't all about pure vocal talent, just like guitar players, Zak Wylde can play circles around damn near anyone, but he might not be in my guitar top 10. David Lee Roth isn't a great vocalist, but he is the archetype for that style of front man. I guess they are two separate questions.

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:49

not even a contest.

that´s like asking Brad Pitt or Mr. Bean?!?!confused smiley

Posted by: tomy1 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:00

Saw the Who April in Jacksonville Florida and the Stones June in Orlando - I recorded both concerts and must say Roger is straining A LOT. Granted many of the Who songs require a much higher octave that Roger can't quite hit any more. Paul McCartney is also going through the same issues of not hitting the high notes any more.

By contrast I saw the Who in Orlando November 2013 during the "Quad" tour and he was right on!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:37

Roger Daltrey still does a great job, but once he takes his shirt off and hits gut is hanging out, somehow his singing deteriorates for me...

Mick is SLAYING on stage this tour. The only thing I wish is that he'd hunker down at the mic a bit more. Man I miss that b-stage. Some of Mick's best work was on the b-stage with such limited space. Somehow it usually made everyone play better to be so close. Probably because if they screw up they know they are mere feet away from a mean look.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:51

I have a lot of respect for Daltrey, i saw the who at ziggodome few weeks ago. For what i saw , mick is in better shape than roger. And generally, the Who looks more "tired" than the stones . At least this is my opinion

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:51

tomy1
Saw the Who April in Jacksonville Florida and the Stones June in Orlando - I recorded both concerts and must say Roger is straining A LOT. Granted many of the Who songs require a much higher octave that Roger can't quite hit any more. Paul McCartney is also going through the same issues of not hitting the high notes any more.

By contrast I saw the Who in Orlando November 2013 during the "Quad" tour and he was right on!
Yeah, that's the thing i'm getting at, it seems to of been a rapid decline in such a short space of time. Mick is sounding as good as ever in my opinion and on a good night better than ever!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 22:58

Donnebr
Seen both this year (The who in Belfast & the Stones in Buffalo). Jagger sounded miles better. Daltrey sounded poor. Not sure if it was the equipment or the voice itself

Sad to hear about Daltry and I trust your opinion on it. I was considering seeing The Who in Toronto, but will skip it. The music needs power from Daltry's vocals. Sounds like it would be a real letdown.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:36

reg thorpe
Roger's voice wasn't great, and if I'd have my way, I'd prefer Roger Waters over Roger Daltrey...

Jesus - you are not serious, you? I love the music of Roger Waters, but his voice is bloody bad.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:39

The Who show is good and Roger has his difficulties but I would still recommend going.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:02

I saw the Who in Hyde Park a few weeks ago. Yes, Roger had to lower his voice an octive at certain points, but other than that I thought he did more than a decent job.

The biggest vocal shock I ever had was in 1973, after seeing Led Zeppelin 6 times between 1970 - 1972, Plant's voice totally changed by 1973.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:08

buffalo7478
Donnebr

Sad to hear about Daltry and I trust your opinion on it. I was considering seeing The Who in Toronto, but will skip it. The music needs power from Daltry's vocals. Sounds like it would be a real letdown.

I heard a boot from a florida show this year and there his voice was strong. I would love to see the who again but - southern germany, they seem to hate this region...

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:12

I saw their second American show in Miami in April and Roger's voice was very strong, I don't understand why guys their age continue to play two nights in a row, sometimes five shows a week!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:27

Have a listen of this acoustic set with Pete and Roger at Ronnie Scotts in London, June 30, 2014, as part of their press conference to launch The Who 50. Roger sounds just fine.

[www.youtube.com]

Embedded link here:

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 23, 2015 01:06

stonehearted
Have a listen of this acoustic set with Pete and Roger at Ronnie Scotts in London, June 30, 2014, as part of their press conference to launch The Who 50. Roger sounds just fine.

That is friggin' sweet! Thanks for the post. Can you even imagine Mick and Keith trying to do something like this these days? No way could they pull it off close to what Daltry and Townsend do.

Neither is what they were in their prime, Stones put on a better show, imo but when you see this bare bones stuff from Roger it's pretty amazing. Mick when he is totally "on" is better but Roger seems to be more consistent.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 23, 2015 02:33

iggy pop is still going strong

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:10

mandu
iggy pop is still going strong

Sorry to hear that

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:44

As much as I love Roger, and I get that technically he has always had the better voice, it has always been Jagger. He's always been the better frontman and I've always loved his phrasing. That attitude fits perfectly for the songs. I like his singing as much on Jumpin Jack Flash as I do Roger's on Won't Get Fooled Again. I've never thought one's voice was better than the other, so then its really just down to frontman abilities, which Jagger has always ruled at.

In 2015, that has only been made abundantly more clear. Roger is still admirable, but all things considered, Mick has missed a beat. He's still as good as he always was.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:28

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: July 23, 2015 15:22

It was still a good night & Townsend was awesome.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2015 16:41

Thrylan
Mick has the good sense to leave his shirt on.....

and that really is what it comes down to. can someone not show Roger the 12/12/12 footage?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home