Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any one familiar with "Crushed Pearl"
Posted by: michrud ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:08

It's an outtake from the DW sessions. A brilliant and super nice slow rocker from Keith!!

Re: Any one familiar with "Crushed Pearl"
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:18

I've always liked it - just listened tothe DW outs again last nite. Treat Me Like a Fool is another good one from KR from those sessions. Toss in another one like Strictly Memphis and take a couple of the DW dogs off and you'd have had a halfway decent album....

Date: August 2, 2005 23:21

ahh...
I used to pay 80 bucks for Crushed Pearl
Keep you up for days!

I'm not however familair with the song Crushed Pearl
but i always like Keith slow numbers

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 3, 2005 00:21

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always liked it - just listened tothe DW outs
> again last nite. Treat Me Like a Fool is another
> good one from KR from those sessions. Toss in
> another one like Strictly Memphis and take a
> couple of the DW dogs off and you'd have had a
> halfway decent album....

Dirty Work is one of the few Stones albums where they left off several songs that were genuinely better than what was released. I think "Baby You're Too Much" for example is a gorgeous piece

Only problem is that most of the best outtakes featured Keith on vocals. Had they picked the best 10-12 songs available for the record, Mick would have been AWOL for about half of them - which would of course made no commercial sense.

"Strictly Memphis" is a good track too and possibly worthy of release, but the vocal is basically a duet with Bobby Womack, and its inclusion would have 'diluted' the traditional Stones sound (ie Mick on vocals backed by the rest of the band) even further

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-03 00:23 by Gazza.

Date: August 3, 2005 00:50

Yeah, Baby You're Too Much has a wonderful melody (the background chorus is a little much - actually a little like the I-I-I-I in ONNSOL) - but it is very similar stylistically to Sleep Tonight, so I can sorta undersand it's exclusion....

Posted by: Nightmanager ()
Date: August 3, 2005 00:58

If someone would have taken the effort of cobbling together "Dirty Works" with
"Crushed Pearls", maybe like they did with Tattoo You, that would have been
one hell of an album. As much as I love "Sleep tonight", "You`re too much" from
Crushed Pearls is the better song, and executed with a blindingly sharp lead
guitar that`s got a Ron Wood sound. Is that him? If so, he`s as good as any
Taylor on this song. This should be the new single. There`s a lot else going
on Crushed Pearls, just glad somebody else appreciates it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2005 01:02

Some Of Us Are On Our Knees from the DW sessions....Keith vocals - killer track.

ROCKMAN

Date: August 3, 2005 01:58

Nightmanager Wrote:
> As much as I love "Sleep
> tonight", "You`re too much" from
> Crushed Pearls is the better song, and executed
> with a blindingly sharp lead
> guitar that`s got a Ron Wood sound. Is that him?
> If so, he`s as good as any
> Taylor on this song.

It's Keith, without a doubt - very similar to the Sleep Tonight solo, too, if you ask me....

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 3, 2005 02:39

I think i`m missing something here, i really never heard about these songs, are they availleble anywhere?? Can I download these songs? Hope to here it from you guys.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 3, 2005 03:15

Theres also a very nice version of Baby Youre Too Much with saxophone that I have on tape but have never seen on a bootleg. Its a bit more polished than the one thats more widely available

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 3, 2005 04:49

wild_horse_pete Wrote:
> I think i`m missing something here, i really never
> heard about these songs, are they availleble
> anywhere?? Can I download these songs? Hope to
> here it from you guys.

several boots - one called "Crushed Pearl" that contains all the songs (and more) mentioned on this thread.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 3, 2005 08:53

Alternate Dirty Work is another title with a bunch of these tracks, which are indeed mighty mighty fine. and let's not forget that sweet plaintive She Never Listen to Me. :E

Keith was really exploring his LV range during the DW sessions. this is a quote from Steve Appleford's It's Only Rock and Roll (thanks to BrownEyedGirll for tracking it down):

"I do feel better singing these days," Richards told the LA Herald Examiner in 1986. "Before, I was always just singing one song now and then, and in circumstances like that, you don't really get a chance to open the pipes up. On [Dirty Work], with Mick not being around, I was in front of the microphone all the time, because you get a much better response out of the Stones if somebody's bellowing away on vocals. It doesn't even matter if you don't have sensible lyrics. The timing and phrasing of a vocal helps the band establish its rhythm and character. By the time it got around to recording my own vocals, my voice had thickened up quite a bit. I remember telling Bobby Womack that I hadn't done so much singing since I was a soprano at Westminster Abbey. Come to think of it, that was probably the most prestigious gig of my career."

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home