Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: If you could change Dirty Work tracklist...
Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:26

This would be my tracklist of the best possible Dirty Work album:

One hit (to the body)
Baby you're too much
Harlem Shuffle
Treat me like a fool
Dirty Work
Too Rude

Invitation
Strictly Memphis
Crushed Pearl
What am I gonna do with your love
Sleep tonight

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 20:15 by GJV.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:13

LeonidP

I detest Dirty Work and am so-so on Steel Wheels -- we almost had the band break up, it led to the first ever solo albums of Mick & Keith (which wasn't bad, but still, it wasn't my classic Stones).

posting policy : If you don't have any positive to say, then don't say it

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:57

HMS
Wheels, Lounge, Bridges, Bang - you can find very good to excellent songs on this albums as well. But these albums carry also a bunch of lame and I mean REAL lame ones, boring ones. Dirty Work isn´t boring, it sounds untamed, aggressive and bold. Dirty Work mirrors the conflict between Keith and Mick, that is where the energy comes from. And the energy level is very high on Dirty Work. On Steel Wheels it is very low, so...

...let´s have a look at Steel Wheels:

Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Terrifying------>FILLER
Hold On To Your Hat
Hearts For Sale
Blinded By Love--------->FILLER
Rock And A Hard Place-------->FILLER
Can´t Be Seen-------->FILLER
Almost Hear You Sigh--------->FILLER
Continental Drift------->FILLER
Break The Spell
Slipping Away------>FILLER

...no FILLER on Dirty Work, except maybe Back To Zero. But Back To Zero beats songs like Slipping Away, Can´t Be Seen or Terrifying every time, not to mention such ridiculous crap like Blinded By Love or Almost Hear You Sigh.

So if the Stones have released a weak album in the 80ies, it must be Steel Wheels. No other album has so many fillers on it, not even Bridges To Babylon, which is also rather weak. I really like Hold On To Your Hat, Hearts For Sale and Break The Spell. I can live with Sad Sad Sad and Mixed Emotions. The rest is weak and boring, substandard-Stones.
\
Stop taking the brown acid

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 18, 2015 01:11

LiveAtHidepark
LeonidP

I detest Dirty Work and am so-so on Steel Wheels -- we almost had the band break up, it led to the first ever solo albums of Mick & Keith (which wasn't bad, but still, it wasn't my classic Stones).

posting policy : If you don't have any positive to say, then don't say it

Then there should be a ban on Dirty Work threads.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 18, 2015 01:46

HMS
Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Terrifying------>FILLER
Hold On To Your Hat
Hearts For Sale
Break The Spell

...no FILLER on Dirty Work, except maybe Back To Zero.

Almost total crap from a quack.

Terrifying is filler? GARBAGE.
Hold On To Your Hat isn't even slighted one bit? GARBAGE.
Almost Hear You Sigh is filler? GARBAGE.
Blinded By Love - filler? GARBAGE.
Continental Drift? Yes... it IS garbage. FILLER.
Can't Be Seen is filler? Uhhhh, well, it's not very good, that's for sure.
Slipping Away is filler? GARBAGE.

And then the NERVE to say no filler on DIRTY WORK. What a load of dirty work. I've never read such TRIPE in my life. I think. I dunno. It's up there. DIRTY WORK blows monkey chunks.

OK OK so I fed the troll....

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 18, 2015 11:32

GasLightStreet
HMS
Sad Sad Sad
Mixed Emotions
Terrifying------>FILLER
Hold On To Your Hat
Hearts For Sale
Break The Spell

...no FILLER on Dirty Work, except maybe Back To Zero.

Almost total crap from a quack.

Terrifying is filler? GARBAGE.
Hold On To Your Hat isn't even slighted one bit? GARBAGE.
Almost Hear You Sigh is filler? GARBAGE.
Blinded By Love - filler? GARBAGE.
Continental Drift? Yes... it IS garbage. FILLER.
Can't Be Seen is filler? Uhhhh, well, it's not very good, that's for sure.
Slipping Away is filler? GARBAGE.

And then the NERVE to say no filler on DIRTY WORK. What a load of dirty work. I've never read such TRIPE in my life. I think. I dunno. It's up there. DIRTY WORK blows monkey chunks.

OK OK so I fed the troll....

Woah! I nearly feed the f%$ker too, thanks for the warning!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 12:41

@GasLightStreet
I like Dirty Work and do not like Steel Wheels. You seem to like Steel Wheels and not like Dirty Work. Different opinions, what´s the problem? Maybe we will find a Stones-album, which pleases the both of us. How about Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed? The Stones recorded plenty of albums, but a few (very few) ARE rather lowlights in their career. For me, Dirty Work is an outstanding highlight, no matter what other people or the Stones themselves might say.

Imho, Steel Wheels is the most unsatisfying and disappointing album they ever made. (except for Between The Buttons, maybe) Nevertheless I listen to it from time to time, after all it´s a Stones-album and I use to listen to them regulary, to all of them. But listening to it is rather work to me than fun. Especially the b-side is horrible to me, except Break The Spell, which I consider a shinig gem. Most disappointing are the two contributions by Keith, both are absolutely boring.

The albums following Steel Wheels are more pleasing but they have almost wrecked them by making them way too long. 10-12 songs are enough. Remove the big amount of fillers on Voodoo Lounge and include Gonna Drive, So Young and Jump On Top Of Me and you have a very good album, almost a masterpiece. But like it is, it is only average. Same for Bridges To Babylon. A Bigger Bang has also 4-5 songs they better would have dropped and buried them deep in the vaults.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:13

I never understood the hate for "Dirty Work". I've always loved the album. I think it's perfect as it is. Compared to other production atrocities from the 1980s it does not sound "'80s" at all. I love the hard-rocking sound. It is what it says on the cover, "Dirty Work". I think that many of the haters maybe are fans of the Mick Taylor period and "Dirty Work" of course is very different from the albums of that era. I prefer the Ron Wood era and I love "Dirty Work".

Date: July 19, 2015 00:37

HMS
@GasLightStreet
I like Dirty Work and do not like Steel Wheels. You seem to like Steel Wheels and not like Dirty Work. Different opinions, what´s the problem? Maybe we will find a Stones-album, which pleases the both of us. How about Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed? The Stones recorded plenty of albums, but a few (very few) ARE rather lowlights in their career. For me, Dirty Work is an outstanding highlight, no matter what other people or the Stones themselves might say.

Imho, Steel Wheels is the most unsatisfying and disappointing album they ever made. (except for Between The Buttons, maybe) Nevertheless I listen to it from time to time, after all it´s a Stones-album and I use to listen to them regulary, to all of them. But listening to it is rather work to me than fun. Especially the b-side is horrible to me, except Break The Spell, which I consider a shinig gem. Most disappointing are the two contributions by Keith, both are absolutely boring.

The albums following Steel Wheels are more pleasing but they have almost wrecked them by making them way too long. 10-12 songs are enough. Remove the big amount of fillers on Voodoo Lounge and include Gonna Drive, So Young and Jump On Top Of Me and you have a very good album, almost a masterpiece. But like it is, it is only average. Same for Bridges To Babylon. A Bigger Bang has also 4-5 songs they better would have dropped and buried them deep in the vaults.

I agree with you on the length of the post 1989 albums but how one can objectively say DIRTY WORK is a good album and is better than something bland yet shiny like STEEL WHEELS is whack. It's not objective, it's just loving anything someone does. It's borderline fanboyism.

DIRTY WORK sucks but not quite as bad as THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST, which is only worse because it's just so awful when it's awful. The awful songs on TSMR outweigh the good songs, therefor making it their worst LP. DIRTY WORK is weighed down by two incredibly horrible and embarrassing songs, in the rank of their worst ever - Winning Ugly and Back To Zero. Only one other song comes close to making the album a complete disaster and that is Hold Back. The rest of it is listenable, for maybe a couple times a year anyway.

And it's not so much that I like STEEL WHEELS more than DIRTY WORK, it's that the songwriting on SW is a thousand times better.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:40

GasLightStreet
DIRTY WORK is weighed down by two incredibly horrible and embarrassing songs, in the rank of their worst ever - Winning Ugly and Back To Zero

BTZ being a song co-written by... Chuck Leavell! Damnit Chuck!

Date: July 19, 2015 01:17

dcba
GasLightStreet
DIRTY WORK is weighed down by two incredibly horrible and embarrassing songs, in the rank of their worst ever - Winning Ugly and Back To Zero

BTZ being a song co-written by... Chuck Leavell! Damnit Chuck!

What the plonk did you say you plinkerplonker!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 19, 2015 11:09

Either: As it's almost a Keith solo combine it with She's The Boss of the same period of time
Or: Take the "wrong" track listing (same with Let It Bleed!) on the album sleeve and you will have a "fresh new" way of listening to it.

Date: July 19, 2015 15:23

JJHMick
Either: As it's almost a Keith solo combine it with She's The Boss of the same period of time
Or: Take the "wrong" track listing (same with Let It Bleed!) on the album sleeve and you will have a "fresh new" way of listening to it.

I think I might agree if I could figure out what you were saying...

Date: July 19, 2015 18:00

LeonidP
JJHMick

The back sleeves has a different order - I guess due to the length of the titles.
Harlem Shuffle
Had It With You
Back To Zero
Hold Back
Too Rude
Dirty Work
One Hit
Sleep Tonight
Winning Ugly
Fight

Let It Bleed has this:
Let It Bleed
Love In Vain
Midnight Rambler
Gimme Shelter
You Got The Silver
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Live With Me
Monkey Man
Country Honk

Out of fun I recorded cassettes with that order, you sure will listen to the albums more often with this Moment of surprise.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 19, 2015 18:25

HMS
Wouldn´t change anything. Dirty Work is a great Stones-album, it is hard rocking, it is tight and Mick is on top of his game. Plenty of excellent guitars on it. One Hit is marvelous, Keith shines on Sleep Tonight, Had It With You and Dirty Work are very pleasing Stones-rockers. Harlem Shuffle is one of the greatest cover-versions they ever did. Winning Ugly is hot and sleazy, a pure delight. Back To Zero is a bit too much 80ies, but listenable. Fight and Hold Back are really wild and most enjoyable. Too Rude is Keith-Reggae at its best. No need for any changes. Their best album since Black And Blue and completely underrated (for whatever reason). It is also the best sounding Stones-album of all time. And it is way better than Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon & A Bigger Bang. These albums need resequencing, they are way too long and have to be shortened. Too much weak fillers on these albums. Dirty Work has no fillers, only killers.A killer album from the bottom to the top, i love it.

This is exactly the way I see it, too. I bought the album on the day it was released and I have loved it ever since. I never understood the hate it attracts.

Date: July 19, 2015 18:28

MrEcho
...I bought the album on the day it was released and I have loved it ever since. I never understood the hate it attracts.

Not too hard to understand, it's a pretty bad album. "Hate" is a strong word, but it is easily their worst, not even close.

Date: July 19, 2015 19:05

LeonidP
MrEcho
...I bought the album on the day it was released and I have loved it ever since. I never understood the hate it attracts.

Not too hard to understand, it's a pretty bad album. "Hate" is a strong word, but it is easily their worst, not even close.

I always confuse it for not being as bad as TSMR. It's worse. DW is their worst album.

Ever.

Date: July 19, 2015 22:38

JJHMick
LeonidP
JJHMick

The back sleeves has a different order - I guess due to the length of the titles.
Harlem Shuffle
Had It With You
Back To Zero
Hold Back
Too Rude
Dirty Work
One Hit
Sleep Tonight
Winning Ugly
Fight

Let It Bleed has this:
Let It Bleed
Love In Vain
Midnight Rambler
Gimme Shelter
You Got The Silver
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Live With Me
Monkey Man
Country Honk

Out of fun I recorded cassettes with that order, you sure will listen to the albums more often with this Moment of surprise.

This is the "Or-"part. The "Either"-part would be the best of She's the Boss plus the best of Dirty Work.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 19, 2015 23:04

The best of She´s The Boss is the silence between tracks.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1160
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home