Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gimme Shelter - live versions
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 02:09

No live version could/has ever come close to the terrifying menace and doom of the Let it Bleed studio version.

Sure, they can, and have, sounded ok, particularly the version on Brussels, but even the great live ones pale and stand in the shadow of that studio cut.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 15, 2015 03:47

I thought the live versions I saw in 97, 98 and 02 were good. I was disappointed Lisa could not hit the high note on this tour but the extended version made up for it somewhat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-15 03:48 by tonyc.

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 04:27

This One:

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Chris M.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 15, 2015 05:14

shawnriffhard1
kleermaker
As far as I know there's only one GS version from the European 1970 tour available. It's a transition version from 69 to 72,
Is this available anywhere, Kleermaker? According to RocksOff, it was only played at the first show of the tour in Helsinki and no tape exists. Is that accurate?

I have it on a bootleg called "Secrets Travel Fast" and the artwork says it's from Malmo, Sweden, 1st show of the 1970 European tour.

It has to be one of my favorites, if not my overall favorite version. Richards plays lead like he does on the record, then Bobby Keys takes a solo followed by Taylor who plays a break that is a preview of his '72 leads. Richards plays lead on the outro. Of course Jagger and the rhythm section are on fire. I wish the source was better, as I can't hear Hopkins (was he on this tour?)

Date: July 15, 2015 05:21

BrownSugar1980
GasLightStreet
Of course, this is clearly the worst ever...

1978 Woodstock rehearsals.

[www.youtube.com]

Perth '73 was pretty bad also. It's a disaster made worse (or maybe caused) by some questionable guitar choices by Taylor. They eventually get it together and finish respectably, but it takes at least half the song if I remember correctly.

Haha! It is funny how different tastes can be. I love that version and it's actually one of my favorites. Taylor doesn't even come in until after the second verse and he uses a wah pedal. I like it because it is unique amongst that era and Hopkins is amazing!

*Forgot to mention it's one of my favorite Jagger performances.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-15 05:23 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 15, 2015 10:25

1.Paradiso 95 (mostly because of the two guitars weaving)
2.Brüssel 73 (mostly because of Taylor´s guitar)
3.LA 75 (mostly because of Ronnie´s guitar)
4.Twickenham 03 (Lisa´s best performance)
5. Atlantic City 89

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 11:46

TravelinMan
BrownSugar1980
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Perth '73 was pretty bad also. It's a disaster made worse (or maybe caused) by some questionable guitar choices by Taylor. They eventually get it together and finish respectably, but it takes at least half the song if I remember correctly.

Haha! It is funny how different tastes can be. I love that version and it's actually one of my favorites. Taylor doesn't even come in until after the second verse and he uses a wah pedal. I like it because it is unique amongst that era and Hopkins is amazing!

Perth '73. is a complete disaster. The fault is not Taylor's. Charlie doesn't find the beat until halfway through the song. keith probably deserves partial blame for making the beat so hard to find. although it's hard to believe that charlie was able to hear keith at all based on the drumming:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-15 11:46 by Turner68.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: July 15, 2015 12:44

Has anyone a well noticed how the intro is played much more like the original recording than the live version they have played it since - generally speaking - Steels Wheels on the Zip Code Tour - [www.youtube.com]

I really like it

Date: July 15, 2015 17:24

Turner68
TravelinMan
BrownSugar1980
GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Perth '73 was pretty bad also. It's a disaster made worse (or maybe caused) by some questionable guitar choices by Taylor. They eventually get it together and finish respectably, but it takes at least half the song if I remember correctl
Haha! It is funny how different tastes can be.
I love that version and it's actually one of my favorites. Taylor doesn't even come in until after the second verse and he uses a wah pedal. I like it because it is unique amongst that era and Hopkins is amazing!

Perth '73. is a complete disaster. The fault is not Taylor's. Charlie doesn't find the beat until halfway through the song. keith probably deserves partial blame for making the beat so hard to find. although it's hard to believe that charlie was able to hear keith at all based on the drumming:

Yeah it doesn't bother me, he doesn't throw the song off in my opinion. It kind of makes it more dramatic. Who plays the guiro?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-15 17:27 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 15, 2015 17:30

The Woodstock version may need a bit of speed correction, no ?

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 15, 2015 22:24

Best live: Keith and the winos from the eileen-b-side

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home