Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Times They Are A Changing
Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: July 15, 2015 20:02

All this talk about high ticket prices takes me back to 1968 when Pinnacle Productions put on Saturday night rock & roll shows at the Shrine Exposition Hall in LA. Tickets were $3.50 at the door. There were 2 stages so one band could set up on one while another band played on the other. There were no seats...just a dance floor. And there was a projector with a blob of water and oil between 2 glass plates that provided a trippy image on screens above the stages. A local freak named Vito was always dancing on top of the speakers. There was a second floor mezzanine / balcony that surrounded the floor so one could go upstairs for a breather (or other forms of activity).

The night that stands out for me was when The Moody Blues, Ten Years After, and Jeff Beck performed. Rod Stewart was Jeff Beck's singer. Each band played 2 sets.

One night the LAPD raided the joint and arrested a huge number of kids for lighting and inhaling 'non-approved smoking materials'. At the same time people who were watching a wrestling match at the nearby Olympic Auditorium were pulling seats out of the floor and burning them. Nothing. All the cops were at the Shrine. That was the end of the Saturday night shows at the Shrine Expo Hall.

Them days they are a long gone. Except when the Rolling Stones do a show in Hollywood and sell tickets for 5 bucks each.

Re: The Times They Are A Changing
Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 20:04

Welcome to 2015.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: July 15, 2015 21:13

clapton71
Welcome to 2015.

You're right, clapton71. But remembering the good old days is one of the privileges getting old. We need to remind ourselves that further down the road, today will be one of the good old days.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 15, 2015 22:58

Yeah, that Mick can still wiggle, but in that photo on the opening page for this site, damn!, he looks old and tired, IMHO.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 15, 2015 23:20

I do remember attending shows at the Shrine in 1960-70. In '69 alone I saw CTA (Chicago), Fleetwood Mac, Procol Harum, Delaney, Bonnie, and Friends on Halloween night, Iron Butterfly,Chuck Berry, and more. So, the shows did continue post-'68.

Later, the Olympic started having shows, besides boxing and roller derby! That is where I saw Ten Years After, Quicksilver, Mountain, Zappa, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home