Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out and Gimme Shelter
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 13, 2015 05:58

I recently purchased Gimme Shelter and watched it for the first time in a long time. It got me thinking: would the Stones have still released GYYO without Gimme Shelter? There seems to be a myth that Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out was released to comabt Live'r than you'll ever be, but considering that Live'r was released after the Ya'Ya's shows had been recorded, this doesn't seem to likely. Further, some of the performances are the same as in Gimme Shelter. So was Ya-Ya's released because of Gimme Shelter.

Re: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out and Gimme Shelter
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 13, 2015 06:08

Happy Jack
I recently purchased Gimme Shelter and watched it for the first time in a long time. It got me thinking: would the Stones have still released GYYO without Gimme Shelter? There seems to be a myth that Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out was released to comabt Live'r than you'll ever be, but considering that Live'r was released after the Ya'Ya's shows had been recorded, this doesn't seem to likely. Further, some of the performances are the same as in Gimme Shelter. So was Ya-Ya's released because of Gimme Shelter.

not exactly sure what you mean. gimme shelter, as you recall, opens with the photo shoot for the cover of ya-ya's, ergo ya-ya's existed as a concept before or in parallel with the movie. ya-ya's was released for business reasons (making money, fulfilling decca contract), not because of the movie. we're lucky both came out!

Date: July 13, 2015 06:10

Turner68
Happy Jack

not exactly sure what you mean. gimme shelter, as you recall, opens with the photo shoot for the cover of ya-ya's, ergo ya-ya's existed as a concept before or in parallel with the movie. ya-ya's was released for business reasons (making money, fulfilling decca contract), not because of the movie. we're lucky both came out!

I'm sorry I didn't state that correctly: what I meant was basically are they related, e.g Ya-Ya's was the soundtrack for Gimme Shelter.

Date: July 13, 2015 07:12

Happy Jack
Turner68
Happy Jack

I'm sorry I didn't state that correctly: what I meant was basically are they related, e.g Ya-Ya's was the soundtrack for Gimme Shelter.

no.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 13, 2015 16:08

I can understand this being a little confusing. In my early days of being a fan I thought the same thing. Really too bad there hasn't been a clean live version of the song Gimme Shelter from 1969. The Altamont version on the bootleg "No Angel Born In Hell" is smoking hot, serious raw power. Wish Bob Clearmountain would do his magic on that.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 13, 2015 16:19

Only related because they both cover the 1969 American tour. I don't believe it can be considered an actual soundtrack for the film as you don't get Tina Turner's performance (or any of the others but the Stones).

Clearly a quick cash-in for the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 16:19 by nightskyman.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 13, 2015 20:00

Turner68
Happy Jack

I think the photo cover shoot is not in the gimme shelter movie but in the outtakes from the ya yas DVD inlcuded in the deluxe edition.

Date: July 13, 2015 20:07

hockenheim95
Turner68
Happy Jack

I think the photo cover shoot is not in the gimme shelter movie but in the outtakes from the ya yas DVD inlcuded in the deluxe edition.

no, it's definitely in the movie.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 13, 2015 20:21

I do recall reading that Ya-Yas was indeed put out to squash the spread of the Live'R bootleg.

Date: July 13, 2015 20:27

Kennedy
I do recall reading that Ya-Yas was indeed put out to squash the spread of the Live'R bootleg.

yes, that is commonly what is understood. i don't know the truth.
what i do know is the relationship of the movie and the album.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 00:50

Turner68
hockenheim95
Turner68
Happy Jack

You mean The scene with The donkey?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2015 20:15

hockenheim95
Turner68
hockenheim95
Turner68
Happy Jack

Yes, the opening scene of the movie.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: wopperla ()
Date: July 14, 2015 23:36

Someone has taken the stereo version of Gimme Shelter that plays over the end credits of the movie and added in the pieces that were edited out of it from a bootleg version of the entire song from Altamont.

Bottom line, I think it is the best version EVER played live by The Stones.

Google it find it download and see for yourself.

There must be a complete multi-track recording of the concert (it was recorded by Bob & Betty I believe). They had to have that to mix the movie music.

Where is it? Cn it ever see the light of day? Or is that just too ghoulish to release a proper mixed concert album from that day?

Will that be a future from the Vault?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 11:59

Thankfully Ya-Ya's was put out; whether to combat pirate sales of Live'r was the primary reason or not - Ya Ya's is such an amazing Stones album. Live albums need to have a certain magic to be considered essential in a back catalogue, as essential as the celebrated studio albums. Ya Ya's has that magic, I never get tired of it!

Date: July 15, 2015 17:45

hockenheim95
Turner68
hockenheim95
Turner68
Happy Jack

When was the Donkey scene actually filmed? THe album came out in September, Gimme Shelter in December. Was the Donkey scene added later or was it always intended to be part of the film?

Date: July 15, 2015 19:03

Happy Jack
hockenheim95
Turner68
hockenheim95
Turner68
Happy Jack

When was the Donkey scene actually filmed? THe album came out in September, Gimme Shelter in December. Was the Donkey scene added later or was it always intended to be part of the film?

this is from wikipedia:

Some of the performances, as well as the photography session for the album cover featuring Charlie Watts and a donkey, are depicted in the documentary film Gimme Shelter, and shows Jagger and Watts on a road in Birmingham, UK in early December 1969 posing with the donkey. The actual cover photo however was taken in early February 1970 in London, and does not originate from the 1969 session. The photo, featuring Watts with guitars and bass drums hanging from the neck of a donkey, was inspired by the lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Visions of Johanna" (although these lyrics refer to a mule).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 15, 2015 19:48

Turner68
Happy Jack
hockenheim95
Turner68
hockenheim95
Turner68
Happy Jack

this is from wikipedia:

Some of the performances, as well as the photography session for the album cover featuring Charlie Watts and a donkey, are depicted in the documentary film Gimme Shelter, and shows Jagger and Watts on a road in Birmingham, UK in early December 1969 posing with the donkey. The actual cover photo however was taken in early February 1970 in London, and does not originate from the 1969 session. The photo, featuring Watts with guitars and bass drums hanging from the neck of a donkey, was inspired by the lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Visions of Johanna" (although these lyrics refer to a mule).

The road in question is the still under construction "Gravelly Hill Interchange" aka "Spaghetti Junction", construction of which started in 1968 and was opened in May 1972.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 15, 2015 23:04

Turner68
Kennedy

yes, that is commonly what is understood. i don't know the truth.
what i do know is the relationship of the movie and the album.

I think the truth is that the Stones owed Decca an album of new material in order to fulfill their contract.
They weren't going to give Sir Edward any of the new songs they were working on so I suspect a live album was always what they had in mind.
They also owed Decca another single but that's a different story.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 16, 2015 00:16

frankotero
I can understand this being a little confusing. In my early days of being a fan I thought the same thing. Really too bad there hasn't been a clean live version of the song Gimme Shelter from 1969. The Altamont version on the bootleg "No Angel Born In Hell" is smoking hot, serious raw power. Wish Bob Clearmountain would do his magic on that.

There is one bootleg where are soundboard versions of Gimme Shelter from Altamont (and Street Fighting Man from MSG breakfast show). Was it called Shot of Salvation? Great clean version anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home