Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Leaving the show before the encore
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 13, 2015 06:35

You pay good money, you do as you please. The Stones do as they please, I am sure they're not insulted. The encore has no surprise, guest or payoff for the hardcore Stones fan. My first time seeing The Stones in the 70's it was the same encore and I was thrilled to see and realize how much history I was witnessing, so there's that. There are as many reasons to attend as there are people attending.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 13, 2015 07:38

bv
Well I check my passport and my esta and my passport and my esta and my expiration dates and flights and so on like 20 times per day before every single tour start. I would drink 20 redbull to stay awake but sure I understand it might be difficult. Strikes are never funny.

If I lived in Paris and there was a strike I would probably take the train to Brussels and fly out from there, paying a fortune extra, but you know I am loaded by cash and the Stones pay me to say this so no wonder I say what I say. I can't me Mr Nice Guy all the time you know.

It was just my honest opinion still on a swinging train in Canada,

Welcome to the dominion of Canada!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 13, 2015 08:55

georgeV
We left last night the minute the lights went out after YCAGWYW. We were out of the parking lot and at the Canadian border by midnight with no regrets. Could care less if I saw Satisfaction ever again!

It's not so much Satisfaction I miss, it's the final bow.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2015 09:11

If you're leaving early you might miss the fireworks!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 13, 2015 10:33

bv
Bad planning?

Yes, very bad planning.. Strike was not much... See my second post.. Personal issue, see my second post... I had a loss, I had my head upside down.

BTW, I work a bit like you. As a journalist, my office may be on the road. I have done that 4 weeks when following a part of the Austalian-NZ tour

When I follow a tour a little bit, I tend to stay in my hotel room and write.

But you are much clever guy, you hired some hands.. I did'nt - I found a marvel you get time to do also nice sight seeing.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 13, 2015 11:43

Drbryant. It was a combination of being bored after the highlight (Mick Taylor) and health issues. The heat was causing me to run to the bathroom a lot that month, I had intestinal issues. One of the gigs I made it back to the hotel just in timesmiling smiley At home I can and of course play the same albums and songs to death. But to be honest I'm finding myself tired and bored at concerts lately. It's a lot of work standing around waiting in a crowd full of star @#$%& just wanting to check off their bucket list (my opinion), anyhow this and pain in the legs and back affects my mood. Gigs are like going to church for me. I want them to be memorable and happy. Thankfully Dusseldorf last year filled all expectations and then some. I was happy to end it on that note, unless they return to Europe again. Then I will go just once. It doesn't make me less of a fan, just older and hopefully a little wiser. Cheers.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 13, 2015 13:32

frankotero
Drbryant. It was a combination of being bored after the highlight (Mick Taylor) and health issues. The heat was causing me to run to the bathroom a lot that month, I had intestinal issues. One of the gigs I made it back to the hotel just in timesmiling smiley At home I can and of course play the same albums and songs to death. But to be honest I'm finding myself tired and bored at concerts lately. It's a lot of work standing around waiting in a crowd full of star @#$%& just wanting to check off their bucket list (my opinion), anyhow this and pain in the legs and back affects my mood. Gigs are like going to church for me. I want them to be memorable and happy. Thankfully Dusseldorf last year filled all expectations and then some. I was happy to end it on that note, unless they return to Europe again. Then I will go just once. It doesn't make me less of a fan, just older and hopefully a little wiser. Cheers.

Agree. We are not machines like Terminator. Sometimes, you notice there is a mismatch between the show and your mood or you body. You cannot fight that much. A show lasts two hours. So if you are down at that moment, or more demanding, or irritated, or with some crap seats, best thing is hope for the best at the next show.

However, I notice a good improvement when having two glasses of wine before the show, and avoiding coffee..

BV has his ritual, as he wrote sometimes about "concert diner" - at 3 or 4 PM ? Should try that, but I'm confused about the meaning.. Is it the second or the third meal of the day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 13:38 by The Joker.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2015 14:46

If you see how the Stones do it, you have to do it the same way if you want to survive a tour with few problems. Sleep a lot. Get into the time zones. Go to the venue early. Have a meal, a proper one, late afternoon. Drink a lot of water. Have everything in place like tickets, money, easting, drinking, friends, transportation.

I start moving out as soon as the final bow is over. Try to see the last band member leave the stage. Then it is dark, but it is no problem to be out of the stadium in the dak within 5 minutes, max 10. I see many leave before the encores, but really, with all the travel, and when Keith is playing so great, and the rest of the band do the same, I can't miss that. I enjoy every minute, and want to be there from before they arrive on stage, until they have left. But sure it takes a lot of energy to do that show after show. And focus on details during the day of the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 13, 2015 15:33

Hi BV and The Joker. Thank you for the advice. I'm going to have to do something because I still have a desire to see concerts. I've even taken seats lately. As most of us here would probably agree that's no way to enjoy a gig. I want to be in front where the action is. Fortunately I did this for Macca in Amsterdam because they let us (vip experience people) in right before everyone else. I was on the rail in front of him. Brings back great memories I thought I would never experience again. Another issue is visiting all the great cities. Usually I'm with my wife and we like to walk around a lot and see things. This eats up a lot of energy, but it's un-avoidable. I can't sit still when I'm somewhere like Amsterdam. I just love it there. We're going again to see George Thorogood. I'm already feeling tired thinking about itsmiling smiley Can't wait to finally go inside the famous Paradiso, I'm only 20 years late for The Stones.

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: July 13, 2015 19:27

whitem8
I left during Satisfaction. I was on the floor and wanted to have a different view and went up to the stands. ON the way up this young couple, probably late teens asked if they could have my wrist band. I gave them the band and my ticket. My night was perfect and Satisfaction, well is a song I have in my DNA now. So no worries there. And I was close the exit and was out and on the street before the last firecracker went off. Great show!

I did the same thing in K.C. I was in the third row on the floor and I had an early flight out the next day. I wanted to get as much sleep as I could, so I left my seat during Satisfaction. I headed up an aisle near the stage and stopped about 10 rows up for most of the song. I enjoyed the different view for a while. Then I worked my way up to near the top of the aisle. I hung out there and enjoyed the rest of the song. When the fireworks started, I bolted for my car and was sound asleep by 12:30.

When I was at the top of the aisle, I took a second to find my seat on the floor and I was reminded me how lucky I was to be front and center for this show and one earlier on this tour.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 13, 2015 23:00

i got knackered just reading the post.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 14, 2015 01:55

Try to get out of the upper deck in 5 minutes........... We can't ALL be on the floor.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:05

Maybe moving the encore to the start of the show would solve a few problems

ROCKMAN

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 14, 2015 04:54

normally i will leave halfway through the last song but this was my first stones show and i did not pay (with conversions) 40 dollars for the hostel, 60 dollars for the shuttle, 50 dollars for food, 110 dollars for the ticket, and 50 dollars for a t-shirt to have to leave early.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 08:44

I always leave just as the encore starts. I've seen fireworks before, and traffic being what it is....

Date: July 14, 2015 17:21

I only left (during) an encore once. My company and I wanted to beat the rush of God-knows-how-many drunks fumbling around an arena's halls, and so we left. It was a glorious sight seeing all of those headlights two minutes after hitting the road... smiling smiley

This tour, however, I received the full concert experience, standing around in the rain (at an outdoor venue) and scrambling through the drunks and reckless! It was amazing. winking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 14, 2015 17:59

If you are so concerned about fighting traffic in the parking lot,
just stay home.

I left a concert early once.
About halfway through The Police reunion show.

I told my wife, "If Sting rearranges ONE more song, I'm outta here."
Less than 60 seconds later I was in the concourse headed for the glass doors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 18:18 by Kurt.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 14, 2015 23:01

I never leave a show till the house lights come on and I get a good look at who I've been dancing with all night. smoking smiley

Plenty of shows I've seen bands come on and do two or three encores, the last ones usually unexpected, unrehearsed and damn hot with the band warmed up and tight and the crowd having fun and loving it.

I'd love to see the Stones come out just once for a second or third encore, perhaps Mick, Keith and Ronnie taking up acoustics and sitting down to wind down the audience with a few intimate Numbers and leaving the amazed audience with a memory they would never forget.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home