Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Hotel California
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:55

I hate Hotel California. The Eagles are so damn boring. Maybe not as boring as Jackson Brown or James Taylor, but I think you know what I mean. The Eagles, Brown and Taylor sharing the same stage, oh my God, this must be really hell.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 18, 2015 01:46

OMG, there is such a love hate relationship among the IORR folks with this song considering the ongoingness of this thread. Somebody, anybody, please send us help.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 18, 2015 02:06

DoomandGloom
LuxuryStones
bigmac7895
I am a fan of the Eagles but I do not hear anything that resembles Stones-like sound with the Eagles. Solo like Taylor? Not to be critical but I do not see that either.

The melodic approach, timing, the bluesy feel and fluidity coming from Joe Walsh (?) definitely has a Taylorish feel to me. Or the other way around.
actually Don Felder the song's composer plays 90% of the leads on this. There is a lot of talent in the Eagles arsenal.

Thanks, it's Don Felder who reminds me of Taylor then. Or he other way around of course. smiling smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 18, 2015 04:50

Felder uses a Les Paul like MT. He may have dipped into some similar modes, it's a fair comparison with for instance with TWFNO harmonicly. My educated guess is Taylor improvised his solos and he and the producer compiled the best bits for the final versions. Hotel Caliellfornia is more worked out like Freebird, the solo is learned and perfected, recorded in sections and then compiled. One way is not superior to the other and guitarists may sometimes do both on the same song. Taylor however left much to chance and was best in his early takes according to Keith. Don Felder could certainly keep up Walsh and Taylor. We are talking about pioneer guitarists, they are real players, versitle and have great experience as well as confidence.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 18, 2015 16:59

Makes me throw up ,the whole Album never liked it since day one.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 18, 2015 17:19

DoomandGloom
Felder uses a Les Paul like MT. He may have dipped into some similar modes, it's a fair comparison with for instance with TWFNO harmonicly. My educated guess is Taylor improvised his solos and he and the producer compiled the best bits for the final versions. Hotel Caliellfornia is more worked out like Freebird, the solo is learned and perfected, recorded in sections and then compiled. One way is not superior to the other and guitarists may sometimes do both on the same song. Taylor however left much to chance and was best in his early takes according to Keith. Don Felder could certainly keep up Walsh and Taylor. We are talking about pioneer guitarists, they are real players, versitle and have great experience as well as confidence.

They are real and great players for sure, don't know if they are real pioneers guitarists. We could call them rock-blues hybrid pioneers though, but when you listen to early 5-tees BB King recordings or early 6-tees Benson for example, all the ingredients are there already, albeit more primitive amped etc.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 18, 2015 17:43

I've come to the conclusion that if people think they need to confirm their "street cred", they say the hate the Eagles and Hotel California. It IS possible to enjoy the Eagles AND this song AND still like the Stones. For heaven's sake, there's no need to be so exclusionary.

Not everything the Eagles did was great or even good. You can certainly say that about the Stones. Some of you are forgetting the Stones fancy themselves country rockers from tme to time as well.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:49

There was a dorky looking girl with thick glasses in my 7th grade class who used to sing and play this on guitar when it came out.
Every time I hear the song since then, it's impossible to disassociate that memory of the dorky girl.
Music can take you back, but sometimes not to the best places.lol
It is a decent tune though, just completely overplayed on most classic rock stations.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 18, 2015 22:42

Long John Stoner
I've come to the conclusion that if people think they need to confirm their "street cred", they say the hate the Eagles and Hotel California. It IS possible to enjoy the Eagles AND this song AND still like the Stones. For heaven's sake, there's no need to be so exclusionary.

Im 54, don't give 2 shits about street cred, I just never liked one thing on that album since day one. NO BULL, NO CRED, just MHO

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1569
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home