Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Worst Stones LP?
Posted by: country honk ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:37

"Worst should be 'Majesties' which only contains 1 great song, 2000 Light Years "

What about She's A Rainbow, 2000 Man.....??

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 3, 2005 21:01

Satanic only has one weak cut - See What Happens, all the other tracks are quintessential Stones w/ the usual Stones themes & attitudes, & re ER having more energy than EOMS: I like ER, but the point of EOMS is the sense of palpable ennui, weariness, confusion, sexual impotence as metaphor, & dealing w/ the sense of loss & disillusionment of the early 70s (not that the RS had many illusions to begin with), & transcending all this via commitment to....well its in the grooves!
ER is most compelling as an example of the band still evolving musically, w/ the playing of KR/RW, their interactions (not to mention the rhythm section) sounding fresh & unlike anything previously on Stones albums.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 3, 2005 21:42

country honk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Worst should be 'Majesties' which only contains 1
> great song, 2000 Light Years "
>
> What about She's A Rainbow, 2000 Man.....??
>
>
>
>

both very good songs, but not "great". Unfortunately most of Satanic Majesties is so bad that the songs that ARE good tend to sound like masterpieces by comparison and often get elevated to being described as 'great'.

"Great" to me is Jumpin' Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar and songs of that calibre. Its a bit of a stretch to put any of TSMR in with that club.

Date: August 3, 2005 22:28

I hate Gomper and dislike On With The Show.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 3, 2005 23:04

I´m with john r here.
Satanic is on the upper half among albums for me.
But as I said above, I cant really pick a worst one:
They are all good.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 4, 2005 05:59

I didn't like Black and Blue at first but it grew on me ... I'll go with Satanic ...

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 4, 2005 06:33

I don't have the time or inclination to go track by track, or point by point, but to me despite a few production excesses (backing vocals on 'Sleep', the synth or whatever it is) Dirty Work is a strong, hard hitting album AND has something to say, about the era in which it was made, and about the state of the stones - Jagger may bark out the words but he's not complacent or bored a la Love You Live, he means it. Plus a good ballad (tho a more stripped down production would be preferable) from Keith ('Sleep') and a funky reggae sung by Keith, Ron & Jimmy Cliff (that really kicked ass on KR's first solo tour). DW is an honest, messy album. Steel Wheels, generally blander, is easier going down but less substantial, and the DDD recording process leaves the great drumming & bass playing (by both Bill & Ron) sounding thin and even the hardest rockers ("HOTYH", w/ killer KR guitar) again airless, not hot & sweaty. Charlie sometimes sounds like a drum machine - which is why, production-wise, they went in the other direction w/ VL. I thought Rock In a Hard Place was a pale, sickly younger brother to Undercover. Slipping Away, despite the production, is a great Stones song, and Terrifying is unique & fresh, but the mix on Continental Drift makes the Master Musicians of Joujouka - who play hard & loud! - sound like some new age muzak - almost.- a hot, analog version would be much more compelling. And I thought Mixed Emotions was a pretty good single, but it came alive onstage, with the guitars cranked, & I'd like to hear it that way again. So if IORR is the least successful imo, Steel Wheels is marred by the cold, digital ambience and (unlike DW) a certain 'mere' prfessionalism.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 4, 2005 11:14

emotional rescue & dirty work for me.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 4, 2005 11:41

Surprising that there are many votes for all albums since Black & Blue except for Tattoo You...
I love Black & Blue because that was the year it all began for me and became a Stones fan so I'm prejudiced on that one.
Dirty Work is weak indeed but Voodoo and B2B are great albums, maybe it's my taste but I can't understand the negative respons on those.

It's the Stones in part 3, the Exile period is long gone but so what, every decade has it's great and weak albums/songs/shows.
What's in the past is over but still great to listen to, what's here or in the future is there to enjoy!

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 4, 2005 12:34

Emotional rescue, Undercover & Diry Works för me.

Posted by: sir_carlos ()
Date: August 4, 2005 13:25

Undercover, Dirty Work and Black and Blue

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 5, 2005 05:22

The worst Stones albums are the crappy ones that follow the great ones:

Goat's Head Soup-- (Yeah, I know I bunch of you love it--and even give it an "A".If that's the case how do you rate Let It Bleed?? AAAAAA+++++?)
After Exile, GHS is a still birth.

Emotional Rescue-- We got our hopes up after Some Girls, and then after two years they put out an album that sounds like they were sitting down when they recorded it. The cover also sucked.

Undercover--Same deal. Tattoo You has us screaming, "The Stones are back!" Then they go away again. The song titles alone sound like a Nat Lamp parody. (Which there was acually--anyone remember "Rim Shot?")

There are some other turds out there, yet when a dud follows a dud, it's much easier to take.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: August 5, 2005 06:01

dennysmith61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would vote Emotional Rescue.
>
> It was like they knew they could get away with it
> after the Some Grls Smash.
>
> Sounded like left overs from some Girls
>
> Where the Boys go? URG Down in the Hole
> terrible.
>
> I can't think of one song I like on that LP
>
> Dance Pat 1 baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
>
> What do you think

I agree, Emotional Rescue has got to be the worst Stones Album. I remember waiting for that album to come out with great anticipation, on the heals of the great Some Girls. My friends and I had a listening party, got all toked up and feeling good, and it was like, WTF. I may have listened to the whole thing maybe five times in my entire life, and it is the only Stones album I have not bought in CD format... I can't think of another that comes close on my list.

Posted by: Bone Machine ()
Date: August 5, 2005 06:03

Loog, your right the big let down after the big high. GHS had some nice stuff on it but I think the recording was a bit flat.

undercover is kinda lame, all the wat down is a cool tune off that album.
I hated the drum mix in Dirty work, it just didn't have that stones sound. But it had some cool tune on that as well as all stones albums do.

I guess Undercover is my pick for the worst.

Posted by: 2005 Man ()
Date: August 5, 2005 06:58

In addition to Hand of Fate, Memory Motel and Crazy Mama, Black & Blue also has Fool To Cry, a lovely song. Hot Stuff is funky as hell (even "samples" a riff from Parliament). Cherry Oh Baby is cool reggae and Hey Negrita is down and dirty funk with a great bridge. That leaves the pseudo-jazz Melody as my least fav track but I'll bet that that is someone's fav. So what I'm saying is... I like Black & Blue.

Between the Buttons, A masterpiece (and my fav with God-Star Brian). Those with ears to hear...

TSMR, it is a magnificent ode to, um, psychedelia and, damn it, no apologies should have to be made for it. It also has some great songs; 2000 Man, 2000 Light Years and She's A Rainbow. Did I say 2000 Man?

If I had to pick the worst, it would be... hell, I can't pick one.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: August 5, 2005 13:47

No doubt for me :Undercover.
A very dull album.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10