Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What's it like to meet a Rolling Stone in person
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 9, 2015 21:53

Rockman
I get it ..I get it Annieeeee ... your an only child .. YEAH Mick hit on me kid sister ... YEAH YEAH REAL FUNNY!!!!

Ya got me, sweetie!

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 22:13

JMARKO
Mick (1) - intimidating (at least his bodyguard was). Nice, cordial, but you know he's not really listening and it's all business.

Keith (2) - Keith sizes you up, then is either laid back and accessible, or distantly cordial. Thankfully, he was accessible both times.

Charlie (2) - distantly cordial.

Bill (2) - accessible, laid back.

Ronnie (3) - accessible, a little distracted.

Mick Taylor (2) - accessible, talk to him about him and other things besides the Stones.

Met all except Taylor. Pretty much agree with all above except I found Keith fantastic, probably because Freddie introduced us.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 9, 2015 23:27

Keith and Patti: Delightful, fun to party with and great tippers. I do recall trying very hard not to appear starstruck or talk about anything Stones. My experience was in Baja California and we were in my element. Patti was drop dead gorgeous and Keith was pretty much in charge of all the activities, a true master of ceremonies and huge presence. Nice doesn't even begin to describe the way these people treated me. Circa 1983

Mick Taylor: Totally humble and easy to talk to. Again no Stones discussions with the man but plenty of guitar and gear talk. Circa 1999 or so

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 10, 2015 00:49

Have a friend who was in that professional party business organising parties for celebs who needed discretion,marquees,sound systems,lights etc...
He said Ronnie was really nice in all his interactions with him over a few years - hanging out in the kitchen at his house, at the parties and stuff. He said Keith seemed a bit more guarded but said hi as required ! One time Keith's mum showed up and arrived in the garden yelling and waving to the king of cool "woo hoo, Keith".
Friend was light on specifics which is fair enough. He was essentially being part of the party organising team who then get to stay and hang out. He told me about a bunch of other stuff too but i forget.
Just to introduce the arch nemesis here....
Party organising friend of friend was at a party and the parties going on in this big marquee with surrounding tents and it's pissing down. So said friend of friend has to go between the marquee/tents to hold the canvas and guide the rain down the sides so it doesn't build up and leak in the marquee/tent.
So he's holding up this canvas for half an hour guiding the rain away smoking a fag as you do and this guy comes up to him in the darkness and grabs hold of another bit of the canvas to help and starts singing "i'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in etc.." and my mates mate looks at the guy, realises who it is and bursts out laughing while said arch nemesis gentleman flashes him a grin and makes his way back into the party. Apparently he's a top bloke too.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 10, 2015 01:48

Naturalust
Keith and Patti: Delightful, fun to party with and great tippers. I do recall trying very hard not to appear starstruck or talk about anything Stones. My experience was in Baja California and we were in my element. Patti was drop dead gorgeous and Keith was pretty much in charge of all the activities, a true master of ceremonies and huge presence. Nice doesn't even begin to describe the way these people treated me. Circa 1983

Mick Taylor: Totally humble and easy to talk to. Again no Stones discussions with the man but plenty of guitar and gear talk. Circa 1999 or so

very cool. That must of been something. I would be shaking and talking gobbledygook lol.
Some guys get all the luck Naturalust. in 83' Keith was king of cool.
Keith married Patti in the same year. A beautiful woman, and she still is today..

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 10, 2015 01:53

i've met mick taylor and ronnie at different times.i have a friend who met keith and charlie,bottom line the stones are good people.i've never heard any different from an actual fan.

i talked to a guy who met jagger on the street and he said mick kept trying to get information out of him about how the shows went[78] mick said "everyone always says great,great great but what did you really think,what did you like and not like"

the guy said"i could hardly speak let alone give him a good answer."

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 10, 2015 02:00

ash
Party organising friend of friend was at a party and the parties going on in this big marquee with surrounding tents and it's pissing down. So said friend of friend has to go between the marquee/tents to hold the canvas and guide the rain down the sides so it doesn't build up and leak in the marquee/tent.
So he's holding up this canvas for half an hour guiding the rain away smoking a fag as you do and this guy comes up to him in the darkness and grabs hold of another bit of the canvas to help and starts singing "i'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in etc.." and my mates mate looks at the guy, realises who it is and bursts out laughing while said arch nemesis gentleman flashes him a grin and makes his way back into the party. Apparently he's a top bloke too.

True.

In the distant past he was given a Honorary Degree at the university I worked at at the time. Everyone knew that all computer systems would fail if I didn't get to meet him. On the day I was tasked (among other things) with representing the university at the post ceremony press conference. Throughout he could see that I was waiting at the back. When it ended he was ushered towards the lift, but he came over to talk to me saying that he could see me waiting for a chat. Top bloke.

Meanwhile in the body of the crowded ceremony his wife had offered two colleagues to get his autograph. Sadly when she got it, and returned to where they were waiting they had been sent off to another job. The next morning their office was on the phone asking for the identity of the two of them, and the morning after that they got personal "sorry I missed you" signed photo's. Top bloke.

A few years later I was anxious about taking our then very young daughter to see him in concert - not because of the music but because of the pre-show graphic video. So, having his real address, I wrote and asked for guidance. By return, literally, I got a VHS tape of the video and a note saying "judge for yourself. Top bloke.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 10, 2015 02:20

JMARKO hit the nail on the head. I've met 'em all and no regrets. Even got an arm around the shoulder by Keith. I've met and had short conversations with Patti, Jo, and Shirley. They're all lovely ladies. Keith's daughters? Lovely as well. Sat next to Angela at Slane Castle, rode with Theo and Alexandra on the lift in Shanghai. All good experiences.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 10, 2015 04:07

keefriffhards
Naturalust

very cool. That must of been something. I would be shaking and talking gobbledygook lol.
Keith married Patti in the same year. A beautiful woman, and she still is today..

Yeah it was their wedding trip that I was involved. I've got some cool pictures I took, one day if I can find them I'll post a couple. I remember seeing Mick a couple times from a distance but no interaction. I've got some partying stories I'd love to share but they are probably not appropriate on a public forum and I wouldn't want to incriminate myself. smoking smiley One thing I do remember was that Keith was pretty knowledgeable about boats and sailing in general.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 10, 2015 10:14

CaptainCorella
ash

True.

In the distant past he was given a Honorary Degree at the university I worked at at the time. Everyone knew that all computer systems would fail if I didn't get to meet him. On the day I was tasked (among other things) with representing the university at the post ceremony press conference. Throughout he could see that I was waiting at the back. When it ended he was ushered towards the lift, but he came over to talk to me saying that he could see me waiting for a chat. Top bloke.

Meanwhile in the body of the crowded ceremony his wife had offered two colleagues to get his autograph. Sadly when she got it, and returned to where they were waiting they had been sent off to another job. The next morning their office was on the phone asking for the identity of the two of them, and the morning after that they got personal "sorry I missed you" signed photo's. Top bloke.

A few years later I was anxious about taking our then very young daughter to see him in concert - not because of the music but because of the pre-show graphic video. So, having his real address, I wrote and asked for guidance. By return, literally, I got a VHS tape of the video and a note saying "judge for yourself. Top bloke.
That's fab Captain.

Date: July 10, 2015 10:26

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust

Yeah it was their wedding trip that I was involved. I've got some cool pictures I took, one day if I can find them I'll post a couple. I remember seeing Mick a couple times from a distance but no interaction. I've got some partying stories I'd love to share but they are probably not appropriate on a public forum and I wouldn't want to incriminate myself. smoking smiley One thing I do remember was that Keith was pretty knowledgeable about boats and sailing in general.

yes i believe he used to do a lot of deep sea diving off the coast of Mexico..
Cant wait for the photo's and the stories, perhaps you can censor them a bit and leave the rest to our imagination winking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 10, 2015 10:41

When I said "hello again, Bill" his look eloquently conveyed a panicky "ohhh are you someone I've done and if so what next?!"
His relief when all I had to say was "good to see you" was equally eloquent and quite funny :E

Date: July 10, 2015 11:29

with sssoul
When I said "hello again, Bill" his look eloquently conveyed a panicky "ohhh are you someone I've done and if so what next?!"
His relief when all I had to say was "good to see you" was equally eloquent and quite funny :E

Oh man that just made me laugh, awkward hehe

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 11, 2015 17:19

As I said before I once met Mick Taylor and had a longer talk with him after a concert besides the 'Nice to meet you' thing. It was very normal like talking to any other Person and not the 'wow, what a star!' Feeling.

He is a very nice guy, and it was very interesting talking to him. You could spend a night with him at a bar chatting about various topics over a beer, and I am certain it would be great! He is not as introverted as people think he is. But I imagine that it would be rather boring for him only talking about the Stones, and I can understand that (especially after the humiliating treating during the last tour).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 17:21 by saltoftheearth.

Date: July 11, 2015 21:00

saltoftheearth
As I said before I once met Mick Taylor and had a longer talk with him after a concert besides the 'Nice to meet you' thing. It was very normal like talking to any other Person and not the 'wow, what a star!' Feeling.

He is a very nice guy, and it was very interesting talking to him. You could spend a night with him at a bar chatting about various topics over a beer, and I am certain it would be great! He is not as introverted as people think he is. But I imagine that it would be rather boring for him only talking about the Stones, and I can understand that (especially after the humiliating treating during the last tour).

yeah why did they not play Mick Taylor on the Mick Taylor songs they played. With him Sitting Back stage listening to Ronnie try as he might, to do MT guitar on MT numbers was insanity and a totally missed opportunity. I don't get it !!!!
My heart went out to him. he looked so sad when he played acoustic on satisfaction..

Posted by: JackHampshire ()
Date: July 11, 2015 23:10

Never met any of the actual Stones but I did meet Patti in the balcony of the Wiltern show. She was checking out the architecture and greeting some of the celebs before the show. She was very pleasant and friendly. And this year I met Chuck and his wife at the hotel bar the day after the San Diego show. He was a Southern gentleman and wanted to know what I thought of the show--what worked and what didn't. Very charming fellow.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home