Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's it like to meet a Rolling Stone in person
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 8, 2015 22:59

Anyone met any of the stones in person. Was it as exciting as i would imagine.
They all seem to be good natured and well mannered towards fans.
Could any iorr members share or reminisce about their experiences with their idols. No obligation. Sorry if there has already been a discussion recently on the subject..

Re: What's it like to meet a Rolling Stone in person
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 9, 2015 00:37

Mick (1) - intimidating (at least his bodyguard was). Nice, cordial, but you know he's not really listening and it's all business.

Keith (2) - Keith sizes you up, then is either laid back and accessible, or distantly cordial. Thankfully, he was accessible both times.

Charlie (2) - distantly cordial.

Bill (2) - accessible, laid back.

Ronnie (3) - accessible, a little distracted.

Mick Taylor (2) - accessible, talk to him about him and other things besides the Stones.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 9, 2015 00:51

I really don't feel the need to meet them in person...I think I would be disappointed....maybe I would have in the early 70's.............

Date: July 9, 2015 00:55

JMARKO
Mick (1) - intimidating (at least his bodyguard was). Nice, cordial, but you know he's not really listening and it's all business.

Keith (2) - Keith sizes you up, then is either laid back and accessible, or distantly cordial. Thankfully, he was accessible both times.

Charlie (2) - distantly cordial.

Bill (2) - accessible, laid back.

Ronnie (3) - accessible, a little distracted.

Mick Taylor (2) - accessible, talk to him about him and other things besides the Stones.

Thanks for sharing JMARKO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 00:55 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: latcho ()
Date: July 9, 2015 00:55

Keith is a really nice guy, but just dont pis him off

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 01:01

only Ronnie
they, like most celebrities, are much shorter than I imagine in person. something about celebrities on TV and the big stage that makes us build them up to be bigger than life. they aren't. they're just people.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 9, 2015 01:20

I've saw Keith, Ronnie and Charlie up close with a very small (maybe 10 people) group of friends and family in 2006. They all seemed very nice and warm - at least in that type of situation.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 9, 2015 01:29

I think this would be the most strange think to notice they all are very short Mick is 4" (10cm) shorter then me ...and he's my BIG "idol" confused smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:30

NICOS
I think this would be the most strange think to notice they all are very short Mick is 4" (10cm) shorter then me ...and he's my BIG "idol" confused smiley

I am 5'6 and I remember when I walked by Mick at the Get On Up premiere (I got pretty close to him actually) that he seemed a lot less taller than me than I thought he would knowing that he is 5'10

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:39

I think Commander is off the high heels now. So he would be about 2 inches shorter.

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:42

Meant Keith and Ronnie along with Midge Ure in a bar called the Gallery in Plymouth, Montserrat back in the late 80's when they we recording Steel Wheels on the island.

All three were very nice and talkative and interacted with myself, the other patrons in the bar and the two owners of the bar.There were probably 16 people total in the bar. They stayed for a couple of hours and just chilled and relaxed.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:49

alieb
NICOS

I am 5'6 and I remember when I walked by Mick at the Get On Up premiere (I got pretty close to him actually) that he seemed a lot less taller than me than I thought he would knowing that he is 5'10

I can remember when 5'10 or 5'11 was considered quite tall in a guy. So strange that it really wasn't that long ago, in the scheme of things.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: July 9, 2015 02:51

I met Keith and Ronnie at a compound outside Montauk, Long Island NY where the Stones were rehearsing for the 1975 Tour. I was there to assist their tour photographer. When I arrived, the band was upstate in a hangar at a former AFB near Newburgh where they had set up the 'Lotus' stage. So I got drunk with one of the security guys and passed out in the first bed I could find. Later, I was awoken by Keith and Ronnie. Keith asked me who I was. I replied, 'I'm Chuck.' He said, 'OK', and they left. I knew I wasn't dreaming and I knew who they were, but I had no idea where I was or why I was there. I went back to sleep. After I got up I stuck my head in the next bedroom where Ronnie was sleeping on the floor. Turns out I was in his bed.

Later the same day, I was in the living room where all their equipment was set up, reading when a guy dressed in corduroy pants, button down collar oxford cloth shirt, and loafers walked in and said hello. He was British...there were a lot of British people there. He was not tall enough to be a Rolling Stone. I was a fan and the Stones were bigger than life. We started talking about the book I was reading when Annie, their photographer walked in and said, 'I see you met Mick.' I froze.

I was chatting with Keith one evening in the kitchen as he was making breakfast. I asked if they were going to play CYHMK during the Tour. He said no, that they couldn't play that song without Mick Taylor. Although the kitchen was staffed, I took my meals in town. I noticed what brands of cigarettes Charlie and Bill smoked and picked up smokes for them when I was in town. They seemed to appreciate that. Keith, Mick, and Ronnie stayed at the house. Bill and Charlie stayed elsewhere.

Mick's 6.9 liter Mercedes 300SEL and Keith's Blue Lena Bentley Continental were there. During the Tour, the hotel manifest included Michael Benz, Keith Bentley, Charlie Ford, and Bill Chevrolet. Someone showed up at the compound in an AMC Pacer, an egg shaped car with huge windows. Everyone took turns racing it around the circular driveway at the house. As I was getting my Pinto station wagon to head back home, Ronnie came out to say good bye. I was touched.

What impressed me is that all of them were approachable. No attitudes. Could be because if I made it past the security kiosk at the main road, I belonged there. And perhaps because I had a job to do. I guarantee you it was not because I was a cool dude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 03:16 by 1969Fan.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:13

^^^
Great story, 1969Fan thumbs up.
favorite sentence: "I was chatting with Keith one evening in the kitchen as he was making breakfast"
Perfect!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:15

1969Fan
I met Keith and Ronnie at a compound outside Montauk, Long Island NY where the Stones were rehearsing for the 1975 Tour. I was there to assist their tour photographer. When I arrived, the band was upstate in a hangar at a former AFB near Newburgh where they had set up the 'Lotus' stage. So I got drunk with one of the security guys and passed out in the first bed I could find. Later, I was awoken by Keith and Ronnie. Keith asked me who I was. I replied, 'I'm Chuck.' He said, 'OK', and they left. I knew I wasn't dreaming and I knew who they were, but I had no idea where I was or why I was there. I went back to sleep. After I got up I stuck my head in the next bedroom where Ronnie was sleeping on the floor. Turns out I was in his bed.

Later the same day, I was in the living room where all their equipment was set up, reading when a guy dressed in corduroy pants, button down collar oxford cloth shirt, and loafers walked in and said hello. He was British...there were a lot of British people there. He was not tall enough to be a Rolling Stone. I was a fan and the Stones were bigger than life. We started talking about the book I was reading when Annie, their photographer walked in and said, 'I see you met Mick.' I froze.

I was chatting with Keith one evening in the kitchen as he was making breakfast. I asked if they were going to play CYHMK during the Tour. He said no, that they couldn't play that song without Mick Taylor. Although the kitchen was staffed, I took my meals in town. I noticed what brands of cigarettes Charlie and Bill smoked and picked up smokes for them when I was in town. They seemed to appreciate that. Keith, Mick, and Ronnie stayed at the house. Bill and Charlie stayed elsewhere.

Mick's 6.9 liter Mercedes 300SEL and Keith's Blue Lena Bentley Continental were there. During the Tour, the hotel manifest included Michael Benz, Keith Bentley, Charlie Ford, and Bill Chevrolet. Someone showed up at the compound in an AMC Pacer, an egg shaped car with huge windows. Everyone took turns racing it around the circular driveway at the house. As I was getting my Pinto station wagon to head back home, Ronnie came out to say good bye. I was touched.

A great bit of memories, a good story. The bit about you sleeping on RW's bed is hilarious. Curious when Keith says they'd need Mick Taylor to perform CYHMK.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:27

1969Fan

"Annie" - Leibovitz?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:32

Plink
^^^
favorite sentence: "I was chatting with Keith one evening in the kitchen as he was making breakfast"
Perfect!

the best line :-)
great story 69fan

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:34

CaptainCorella
1969Fan

"Annie" - Leibovitz?

Yes.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:50

Mick hit on my kid sister, Keith broke the crust on my Shepherd's pie, Ronnie nicked my ciggies and Charlie didn't get any of my jokes. Including this one. winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 9, 2015 03:56

NICOS
I really don't feel the need to meet them in person...I think I would be disappointed....maybe I would have in the early 70's.............

but most of them are in their early 70s.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2015 05:49

Mick hit on my kid sister, Keith broke the crust on my Shepherd's pie, Ronnie nicked my ciggies and Charlie didn't get any of my jokes. Including this one.

I get it ..I get it Annieeeee ... your an only child .. YEAH Mick hit on me kid sister ... YEAH YEAH REAL FUNNY!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 9, 2015 06:12

DELETE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 18:52 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: July 9, 2015 10:11

^^^
That's some story! Thanks for sharing. Might you have another tale of Keef to tell...one that showcases his charm & mental acuity? (Just for balance winking smiley)

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 9, 2015 10:57

1969Fan
when Annie, their photographer walked in and said, 'I see you met Mick.' I froze.

Hilarious

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 9, 2015 11:03

Wow thanks for sharing your experiences in meeting some of the Stones.
Having read a book about Keith by Tony Sanchez (Spanish Tony) i realise there are Two Keith Richards. The junkie Keith and the Keith we see today. from what i can gather even when Keith was totally wasted he managed to still function. He seemed to still be Keith.
As for their height, MJ seems to be much taller next to the other Stones than he used to be lol. Built in heels in his trainers, its surprising Mick's not falling over on stage. Dudes got balance. cheers everyone..cool smiley

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 9, 2015 11:59

Had brief interactions with Bill and Charlie. Brushed shoulders with Mick T once. Nothing negative to report.

Date: July 9, 2015 14:48

From what people have said Keith seems to charm most people that meet him. Especially Musicians. Not many have a bad word to say about him. Mick seems to be more reserved but genial.
They say you should never meet your idol or hero but in general, most people say that meeting the Stones was not negative in any way..
I know from personal experience that some famous people can be miserable and disappointing. In my job i have meet many celebrities and some do not leave a good impression. Not naming names..

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 9, 2015 15:38

SomeTorontoGirl
Mick hit on my kid sister, Keith broke the crust on my Shepherd's pie, Ronnie nicked my ciggies and Charlie didn't get any of my jokes. Including this one. winking smiley

>grinning smiley< ...You're part of the family, no doubt 'bout that!!

Posted by: Citadel65 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 16:52

Met Keith twice, and he was cool both times, including a handshake and Happy New Year backstage at Winos show. Said hello to Mick at after-party in NYC post his solo show, and he was coldly dismissive. Also pitched a question to all four at Voodoo Lounge press conference, and Charlie came back with his brilliant disconnected self. So pretty much as expected.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 9, 2015 16:53

Turner68
Plink
^^^
Perfect!

the best line :-)
great story 69fan

Brilliant!!!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home