Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What other tour have The Stones been this GREAT!
Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: July 3, 2015 08:04

Olly
HearMeKnockin
Olly
Brstonesfan
69,72,73, 75, 76, 78, 81, 89, 84, 97, 99, 2003,

Interesting...

How were they in '84?

In '84 there was a lot of tension, because M&K were disagreeing about musical ideas at the time, and Mick was trying out Just Another Night on stage, so the tour was cut short when Keith tried to throw a TV out the window on Mick's head...

He was unsucessful, I presume?

Actually, it nicked him in the head, accounting for the mental lapse that led to two solo albums full of 80s pop music.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: July 3, 2015 08:55

The 98 show I saw in Houston was the last time I've seen them playing as well as they are now. Who of us 40 yrs of age and up will have this kind of energy at 70 plus and be away from home. What their doing is a lot tougher than it looks. Its not manual labor but its not sitting around on your arse either or playing armchair QB either. As for the question at hand I'll say 94/95 Voodoo Lounge tour was for me their most cohesive night in and night out with new product to boot.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 3, 2015 22:52

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:14 by colonial.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 3, 2015 22:59

latebloomer
1792 was the best.

yes, it was, matey, wasn't it

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: July 3, 2015 23:19

I have been pretty critical and sometimes doubtful of the Stones these last 15 years or so. But I have to be honest, starting with the 50 and Counting, to the 14 on Fire, and the current Zip Code tour, I think they're easily the best since the No Security tour in 99. I honestly thought they were finished after the mostly abysmal shows on the Bigger Bang tour, but they have returned in a powerful way. The show I saw here in Nashville 2 weeks ago? Loud, dirty rock and roll! Everybody was firing on all cylinders. There were some off moments, I admit (Brown Sugar was dead on arrival, as was Tumbling Dice), but otherwise they killed it in a way they haven't in over 15 years. The setlists may not be as interesting as the Licks tour, and they may not have a new album to promote, but the batteries seem to be recharged, especially in Keith and Ronnie. Woody has especially impressed me the last 2 years. It's encouraging to know that, age be damned, we haven't lost our Stones yet!

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 3, 2015 23:25

theimposter
I have been pretty critical and sometimes doubtful of the Stones these last 15 years or so. But I have to be honest, starting with the 50 and Counting, to the 14 on Fire, and the current Zip Code tour, I think they're easily the best since the No Security tour in 99. I honestly thought they were finished after the mostly abysmal shows on the Bigger Bang tour, but they have returned in a powerful way. The show I saw here in Nashville 2 weeks ago? Loud, dirty rock and roll! Everybody was firing on all cylinders. There were some off moments, I admit (Brown Sugar was dead on arrival, as was Tumbling Dice), but otherwise they killed it in a way they haven't in over 15 years. The setlists may not be as interesting as the Licks tour, and they may not have a new album to promote, but the batteries seem to be recharged, especially in Keith and Ronnie. Woody has especially impressed me the last 2 years. It's encouraging to know that, age be damned, we haven't lost our Stones yet!

Interesting, from a musical point of view, I don't think their best show these show can compare with the worst show in 2002-03. I mean, all songs are played slower, Charlie's not as steady, Mick J. more often gets off-key, Keith is good but not what he used to be, Ronnie may be the only who plays better now than on Licks. As for the re-charged batteries, yes there is a certain energetic vibe coming from the stage on this tour, even if the music does not always sound very energetic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 23:27 by EasterMan.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:01

I do agree with some of your points, EasterMan. I am noticing Charlie being a tad more off than in the past. I actually think Keith is playing more strongly than he has since the late 90's, however. My only qualm with Mick's vocals would be that he's singing in a more nasal register than usual, it would seem. That said, you noticed the same thing I did - that renewed energy, that vibe. When I watched them 2 weeks ago, it felt less like a circus and more like a real BAND again. Something there is clicking - maybe them knowing they won't have many more chances to do this? I'm not sure, but I do know that watching them these last 2 years, in person and on the internet, it feels as if they care more about the music and preserving their legacy than they have in a long time.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:03

NO SECURITY

Bjornulf

Date: July 4, 2015 00:19

That's what I was saying. No Security was probably my favorite modern-era Stones tour. Those shows were awesome. But what they were severely lacking was Ronnie. I still remember getting a bootleg from that show taken from an assisted listening device, and Keith's guitar was basically cut out of the mix, and it made me realize how little Ronnie was playing. It was basically Mick, Charlie, Chuck, and Darryl I was hearing. That's why I am so glad that Woody seems to have his act together since 2013 and is really playing again. He was a beast on Midnight Rambler in Nashville 2 weeks ago. And watching him and Keith sprint around on stage together, having fun like in the old days, was a joy.

Date: July 6, 2015 06:46

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:18 by colonial.

Date: July 20, 2015 03:19

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-04 06:42 by colonial.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home