Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The best Rolling Stones song!
Posted by: michrud ()
Date: July 30, 2005 18:29

Why on Earth haven't they ever played "Winter"??? I absolutely love this song and...

Re: The best Rolling Stones song!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2005 18:37

someone's bound to say it, so I'll be the bad guy - 'cos it's a total MT song....

Date: July 30, 2005 18:40

Ha ha, StonesTod...it's okay. I know both Mick and Keith will NEVER EVER acknowledge Taylor in this way, but never the less I love it. In the same loving spirit as "Time Waits for no one"...

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 30, 2005 18:53

1 of my fav TAYLOR SOLOS,,INCREDIBLE GUITAR

Date: July 30, 2005 19:00

Which, Chippi? Well actually both!

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: July 30, 2005 19:09

Yeah, Winter is a complete forgotten, totally underrated song and to me one of the best songs the Stones ever recorded.

Date: July 30, 2005 19:13

Hear, hear, Aucoin. Winter is so forgotten!!! THE best ballad by the Stones

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 31, 2005 00:36

It's not a total Taylor song, is it?
I always thought it was a Jagger composition that Taylor helped finishing.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 31, 2005 00:59

NO ITS JAGGER & TAYLOR <<<JUST LIKE SWAY....BOY WERE THEY GREAT FOR A CHANGE OF PACE

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2005 01:13

folks -the code is that any Stones song that includes a credit someone other than M&K - means the other dude actually wrote the song. M&K get a gratuitous credit with all band songs - that's just the price of being in the band and one reason MT left.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 31, 2005 10:40

I don't hear many artists record like that these days - Winter has a wonderful warm and rich sound particuarly with the orchestral backing - music these days is much more stripped down with less technicalities.
I don't think a lean version of the song would sound good and without the orchestra and Mick Taylor's wonderful guitar work that just leaves Jagger's vocal and i don't even think that's quite what it was.
Personally in the right setting and musicians who could really bring out the beauty of the song i'd love to hear it - but with the current Stones live set up the song would prove one gigantic anti-climax.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: July 31, 2005 10:56

The more you get into the Stones and their songs the more you love them. For most people the Stones are Satisfaction, Angie, JJF,SFTD,BS,.... but they are SO MUCH MORE.

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: July 31, 2005 11:06

yes right Harm
let it loose, soul survivor, winter is beautiful, coming down again, citadel, 2000 man, too tough (a great kicker), etc etc etc..
some they never played live, and I really think they should !

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 31, 2005 11:08

Couldn't agree with you more Harm and it is tracks like Winter that are extemely underrated and very rarely heard outside the confindes of the albums.

Date: July 31, 2005 12:16

It takes years to get to learn the Stones. ordinary people think of the Rolling Stones as JJF, BS, Satisfaction, Angie, WH, but the Stones are so much more as you guys says.

I think Pretty Beat Up is great!!!! To me it just sounds Ronnie Woodish!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 31, 2005 12:41

Winter is totaly Mick Taylor, he even wrote the lyrics with a reference to his own house at the time in Stoney Canyon. Both Sway and Winter share the same type of lyrical use of not so common words, and I have always believed these are typical NOT Jagger-like.

Mathijs

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 31, 2005 12:56

We started off (Goats Head Soup) with Winter, which was just Mick (Jagger) strumming on a guitar in the studio, and everything falling together from there.

- Mick Taylor, 1973

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home