Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm heading to England & Ireland next week...
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 30, 2015 04:47

...would love it if you guys could recommend a few "must see" sights. Other than the super-obvious ones. Stones & non-Stones related. Thanks! (Primarily London, England and West Coast of Ireland plus short trip to Dublin)

IORR............but I like it!

Re: I'm heading to England & Ireland next week...
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 30, 2015 05:10

sweet neo con
...would love it if you guys could recommend a few "must see" sights. Other than the super-obvious ones. Stones & non-Stones related. Thanks! (Primarily London, England and West Coast of Ireland plus short trip to Dublin)

Any of the big Cathedrals - if you haven't already been in one - remember when you go in and look up and around yourself, remember that they (most of them anyway) have been standing like that for 1000 years - in continual use as places of worship obviously but many were used as army barracks during the many civil wars around the UK - complete with hundred(s) years old graffiti scratched in the masonary........ also, the accoustics are mind boggling - when the organs start up, they are so loud and yet completely pleasant to the ear -----------

Stonehenge is pretty thought provoking too........and Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's birthplace. His boyhood home is there, intact as a museum - again, 500 years old (as are many houses in the Uk) but a big percentage are in Stratford.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 04:06 by EddieByword.

Date: June 30, 2015 05:23

Thank you EddieByword! Exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Keep the recommendations coming.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 30, 2015 05:34

how long will you be on the west coast of Ireland? do you have any stops/stays planned already?

Other than historical sites, like Cathedrals, what do you dig? nature? beaches/strands? forests? mountains? vistas? hikes? walking? drives? nouvelle cuisine? trad Irish food? trad and/or new Irish music? cities? wee hamlets? peace n quiet? hubbub and brews? ceili dances? If you say more than "Yes" I might be able to toss in my 2p winking smiley

- swiss

Date: June 30, 2015 05:37

sweet neo con
Thank you EddieByword! Exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Keep the recommendations coming.

Juxtaposed, if you come after the 8th August, you could try a Premiership football (soccer) match, they are quite good fun, esp. Arsenal playing at home in North London ...........

Date: June 30, 2015 05:59

swiss
how long will you be on the west coast of Ireland? do you have any stops/stays planned already?

thanks. i think approx 8-9 days in Ireland. Based in Shannon. Open for anything. As mentioned a little bit in Dublin too. Everything you mentioned sounds intriguing. Will have to google ceili dances. winking smiley

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 30, 2015 12:10

Aside from the tourist traps that are Leicester Square and Covent Garden, take a riverboat tour and see the city from the Thames. While there is heaps to see and do in central London, if you have time, get out to Richmond - the town and park are lovely.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 30, 2015 12:19

102 Edith Grove followed by a walk around the corner to Cheyne Walk always feels good.
And the Natural History Museum. Camden Market is fun.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 30, 2015 12:27

Not really sure where to start, but FWIW:

1) in London, you might want to avoid the obvious tourist traps (stuff like Madame Tussaud's, Piccadilly Circus etc is really not worth it). Make time to explore places like Shoreditch, Borough and Soho - the latter especially if anyone decent's playing at the 100 Club or Ronnie Scott's. Avoid Oxford Street like the plague. A riverboat trip on the Thames is indeed a good idea. As for Stones related stuff, do go see Edith Grove, and then get a train from Waterloo down to Richmond or Twickenham, where there's Stones sights aplenty. I'd give Dartford station a miss, though.

2) England more generally: I'd strongly recommend daytrips to Cambridge (more than Oxford, since it's smaller, less of a city and nicer in summer) and, further afield, Bath. If you fancy the seaside, maybe give Brighton a miss and go somewhere like Hastings, Broadstairs or Whitstable - not too far from London, and less touristy. If you really want an adventure, get on the train from Paddington and go to Cornwall (where I grew up, and where my parents still live) for a few days. It's by far the most picturesque part of the country and absolutely lovely at this time of year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 12:38 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 30, 2015 12:49

If you're thinking of a boat trip on the Thames, there are boats to Richmond. They also go to Hampton Court (Henry the Eighth's palace on the Thames), if you're into history.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 30, 2015 13:55

If you are in the Camden area (to visit the market) if you have time head up to Hampstead Heath. Parliament Hill Fields is great for views over London.

Another place in London I've always liked is Kew Gardens.

Stoneburst

2)If you really want an adventure, get on the train from Paddington and go to Cornwall (where I grew up, and where my parents still live) for a few days. It's by far the most picturesque part of the country and absolutely lovely at this time of year.

I'm looking at planning a last minute few days away somewhere (UK or Europe) for my birthday this Friday, and Cornwall (I'm thinking of Falmouth) is one the places I was thinking of. Never been to Cornwall but it sounds lovely.

Date: June 30, 2015 14:08

MarthaTuesday
If you are in the Camden area (to visit the market) if you have time head up to Hampstead Heath. Parliament Hill Fields is great for views over London.

Stoneburst

2)If you really want an adventure, get on the train from Paddington and go to Cornwall (where I grew up, and where my parents still live) for a few days. It's by far the most picturesque part of the country and absolutely lovely at this time of year.

I'm looking at planning a last minute few days away somewhere (UK or Europe) for my birthday this Friday, and Cornwall (I'm thinking of Falmouth) is one the places I was thinking of. Never been to Cornwall but it sounds lovely.

Falmouth's great, I'd highly recommend it. It's changed a lot in the past decade and has become very arty and hipterised (having a big student community has done wonders for the place).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 30, 2015 14:15

Best musical in London at the moment is Sunny Afternoon in Leicester Square area. Day tix as litle as £12.50 from TKTS booth in the square or good stalls maybe for £25 from box office .Matinee on a Wednesday and Saturday as well as evening. Cast are usually in pub opposite theatre about half hour after show and are really nice and friendly. smileys with beer

Date: June 30, 2015 15:16

If you like high vantage point views you could always go up The Shard....... [en.wikipedia.org] ......currently the tallest building in Europe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 15:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 30, 2015 15:44

well you picked the right time. its really hot this week and next. enjoy.
Get out of the city. London's a hell hole. Go to Cornwall's coast and have a surfing lesson.. cant beat it..

Date: June 30, 2015 15:50

MarthaTuesday

Stoneburst

yeah Falmouth, Penzance, Newquay, St Ives, Padstow etc
thats the place to be, Cornwall this time of year.
don't think the any of the stones have been to Cornwall. Surprising as it seems.

Date: June 30, 2015 16:28

keefriffhards
well you picked the right time. its really hot this week and next. enjoy.
Get out of the city. London's a hell hole. Go to Cornwall's coast and have a surfing lesson.. cant beat it..

Lols, you don't say. Making matters worse, since that water main burst TFL have decided that it's walk to work week for a large part of south London, including the bit I live in.

Date: June 30, 2015 16:41

keefriffhards
MarthaTuesday

Stoneburst

don't think the any of the stones have been to Cornwall. Surprising as it seems.

They did make it to Devon once or twice, which is just up the road..........[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: June 30, 2015 17:34

Stoneburst
Not really sure where to start, but FWIW:

1) in London, you might want to avoid the obvious tourist traps (stuff like Madame Tussaud's, Piccadilly Circus etc is really not worth it). Make time to explore places like Shoreditch, Borough and Soho - the latter especially if anyone decent's playing at the 100 Club or Ronnie Scott's. Avoid Oxford Street like the plague. A riverboat trip on the Thames is indeed a good idea. As for Stones related stuff, do go see Edith Grove, and then get a train from Waterloo down to Richmond or Twickenham, where there's Stones sights aplenty. I'd give Dartford station a miss, though.

2) England more generally: I'd strongly recommend daytrips to Cambridge (more than Oxford, since it's smaller, less of a city and nicer in summer) and, further afield, Bath. If you fancy the seaside, maybe give Brighton a miss and go somewhere like Hastings, Broadstairs or Whitstable - not too far from London, and less touristy. If you really want an adventure, get on the train from Paddington and go to Cornwall (where I grew up, and where my parents still live) for a few days. It's by far the most picturesque part of the country and absolutely lovely at this time of year.

I agree.

If you visit England, you really should see either Oxford or Cambridge and, like Stoneburst, I would recommend the latter.

I worked at Cambridge University a few years ago and loved it - both the University and City.

The exam period should be over now, meaning that for a few pounds you can wonder the grounds of most Colleges; I particularly recommend seeing:

[*] King's
    [*] Trinity
    [*] St John's
    [*] Christ's
    [*] Peterhouse (the University's oldest College)
    [*] Pembroke

If you would like any more information about Cambridge or the University, let me know in this thread and I will get back to you.

Olly.

Date: June 30, 2015 17:46

keefriffhards
MarthaTuesday

Stoneburst

They should play at show at the Eden Project. I grew up in Cornwall and would be happy to be their guide, for the usual fees of course winking smiley

Date: June 30, 2015 23:47

Father Ted
keefriffhards
MarthaTuesday

Stoneburst

They should play at show at the Eden Project. I grew up in Cornwall and would be happy to be their guide, for the usual fees of course winking smiley

me too lol. best place on earth.. i should know, Iv'e been all around it many times and always come back to Cornwall.. if your in Ireland i would say Dublin is the friendliest city in the world..

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 1, 2015 01:20

Touristy, but I enjoyed it: Tower of London

took a boat from Parliament to the Tower for the banter - check for discounts for the boat rides if you show 'em your Oyster card

I didn't do a tour with the Beefeaters, but I sort of wish that I had the time to do that, as overhearing some of their histories, their stories were interesting

I was given this advice, and it was good: go to the Tower early, and go straight to the Crown Jewels if you want to go through that hall - otherwise you'll be standing in a long sinew of a line waiting to get in and get bustled by the hoards. I went in without a line, and by the time I came out, there were about 200 people shuffling along in line to get in.

Edith Grove is fun, and go walk along the Thames to imagine publicity photos being taken around there.

Camden Market - is interesting

I'm a ditto on the Natural History Museum

I took a black cab once, and recommend just getting on a bus and riding to the end of its line to look around

I definitely will try to make it to Stonehenge for my next trip.

Have fun! You're in for a real treat

Date: July 1, 2015 14:27

Thanks to all for the info. Flying in to Shannon airport but staying in County Clare.

Posted by: bowlingbob ()
Date: July 1, 2015 14:29

i just got the mail that the Stones will go tot london

fot details:

[www.stonesexhibitionism.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 1, 2015 14:40

bowlingbob
i just got the mail that the Stones will go tot london

fot details:

[www.stonesexhibitionism.com]

It's an exhibition and it's next year.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 14:43 by Deltics.

Date: July 1, 2015 15:15

This is dead touristy but doing the Jack The Ripper tour is fun.

Posted by: shack1 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 16:12

Never mind all this down south stuff, get yourself up to Gods own Country, Yorkshire grinning smiley
York, Whitby, Scarborough, Yorkshire Dales, Haworth (Bronte) we have it all.

Date: July 1, 2015 18:42

but its filled with people from Yorkshire winking smiley

Date: July 19, 2015 23:34

just returned. great time. thanks to all. we did many of your suggestions. hope to go back to London soon.....so much history. so much to see. (loved county clare ireland too)

Date: July 19, 2015 23:52

sweet neo con
just returned. great time. thanks to all. we did many of your suggestions. hope to go back to London soon.....so much history. so much to see. (loved county clare ireland too)

But, But, you didn't mention Cornwall confused smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home