Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Chris Squire of Yes RIP
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 28, 2015 18:34

Just heard about this from a mate. Very sad news. Chris was an amazing bass player. Let the Lord shine his light for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 19:13 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Chris Squire of Yes RIP
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 28, 2015 18:40

Ohh no! I'm stunned
Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 28, 2015 18:48

Yes co-founder Chris Squire dies.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 28, 2015 18:54

Oh man, I feel so bad reading this. I think Yes was a great band. One of the few with all of its members still active, though not totally intact, until now.

I still remember seeing him in those draping clothes from those "in the round" concerts from the late 70's if I remember correctly.

RIP Chris.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 19:04

Very stunned. RIP Cape Man!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 28, 2015 19:53

Crud. So sorry to hear this. He was one of my favorite "Busy" bass players. I learned much from listening to and trying to emulate things he did.

RIP

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 28, 2015 19:56

Just learned about it, so, so sad. Gratest bass player ever. RIP

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 20:00 by leteyer.

Posted by: madshadow ()
Date: June 28, 2015 19:57

Saw Yes in 1981 on the much-maligned Drama tour but even then Chris Squire stood out as an amazing player. God bless!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:01

Wow. I just bought the 2 CD Yes Progeny highlights yesterday.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:04

And I'm hearing that Joni has taken a turn for the worse and can't speak now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 20:05 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:12

Very sad.

He was a badass bass player!

RIP

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:23

I've seen Chris Squire with YES in 1991. It was such an amazing great concert. YES were in that evening a 8-piece-band.

RIP Chris Squire

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:38

Wow. Though I guess it's not too surprising as all of our Rock heroes and icons are in their seventies now. Chris was definitely in the top 5 rock bassists of all time and was instrumental in creating a whole new genre of rock music. I saw them in their heyday on the Fragile and Close To The Edge tours. He and the whole band at that time were incredible.......Go easy bro...

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:39

Sorry to hear this- a very sophisticated and influential bass player. The 3 LP live Yessongs was teenage mainstay. Respect to Chris and condolences to his friends and family.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 28, 2015 20:55

Bungo
I saw them in their heyday on the Fragile and Close To The Edge tours. He and the whole band at that time were incredible.

That's when I saw them as well and Chris Squire riveted me.
His playing was amazing and so was the way he moved on stage.

Go easy bro...

Yes.
Love and light, and thanks and praises.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 28, 2015 21:08

From RollingStone.com:

Chris Squire, the co-founder and longtime bassist of prog rock icons Yes and the only member of the group to feature on every studio album, has passed away just over a month after revealing that he was suffering from a rare form of leukemia. Squire was 67. Current Yes keyboardist Geoff Downes first tweeted the news, "Utterly devastated beyond words to have to report the sad news of the passing of my dear friend, bandmate and inspiration Chris Squire."

[RollingStone.com Chris Squire]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 28, 2015 22:13

RIP

The progressive rock band Yes made amazing albums early seventies: "The Yes Album" - "Fragile" - "Close To The Edge".

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: June 28, 2015 22:16

A great player. I grew out of their music, but when I was 14 they were my favorite band.

Date: June 28, 2015 22:57

Very sad news. One of the best bass players ever.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 28, 2015 23:32

Very, very sad news. One of my all time favorite bass players.
You can't think of bass sound without thinking of him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 28, 2015 23:53

OH @#$%&! This one hurts a lot. An amazing talent and a really funny and friendly man. I've got a few stories, perhaps later. RIP Chris.

Here is a great video of Chris telling a story about Jimi Hendrix:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:09

God bless, Chris. Too bad Jon never got back with them. I couldn't listen to any of the stuff without him. He was the voice of Yes to me.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:54

Naturalust
OH @#$%&! This one hurts a lot. An amazing talent and a really funny and friendly man. I've got a few stories, perhaps later. RIP Chris.

Here is a great video of Chris telling a story about Jimi Hendrix:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for this Naturalust, what a fabulous story and poignant under the circumstances.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:21

RIP. He leaves behind a great legacy as a member of YES (one of my favorites). Great bass playing on great rock albums (1970s).

Date: June 29, 2015 05:43

so glad i saw yes about 6 years ago. what a loss

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 29, 2015 06:00

Chris wasn't just a fantastic bass player he was a truly amazing singer too. His harmony vocals sometimes get lost in the powerhouse that was Jon Anderson but anybody who truly studies Yes music can't underestimate his contributions as a B/G vocalist.

I was lucky enough to work with some of the Going For The One multi tracks and remember isolating his vocal track and just being drop jawed amazed. I used to pull up a mix of that tune with his vocal up front and Anderson's down in the mix and I swear the song became something else completely... better! I love the tune and still have a hard time listening to the final released mix with Chris so buried, knowing what is lying just below the surface.

More Squire stories later.....

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 29, 2015 06:30

Silver Dagger
Just heard about this from a mate. Very sad news. Chris was an amazing bass player. Let the Lord shine his light for you.

Chris will not be coming down for breakfast tomorrow. I loved the 70s music scene that Yes was part of. I loved it whenever Roundabout was on the radio which also went into the 80s and 90s

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 29, 2015 06:49

I was lucky enough to shoot Yes on their 90215 tour and hang out with them after the show. Chris was the most interesting of the group, he had a lot to say. I was just starting out as a bass player, and he was very encouraging. Rest in peace Chris!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 29, 2015 15:59

Yes are one of those bands that I've always kinda wanted to see but just never got around to it. It was always, "Ah, maybe next time." I guess there's no point in seeing them now (though, incredibly, they are touring this summer). You think these guys are gonna be around forever and then one day .... they're not. sad smiley

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 29, 2015 23:32

Naturalust
Chris wasn't just a fantastic bass player he was a truly amazing singer too. His harmony vocals sometimes get lost in the powerhouse that was Jon Anderson but anybody who truly studies Yes music can't underestimate his contributions as a B/G vocalist.

I was lucky enough to work with some of the Going For The One multi tracks and remember isolating his vocal track and just being drop jawed amazed. I used to pull up a mix of that tune with his vocal up front and Anderson's down in the mix and I swear the song became something else completely... better! I love the tune and still have a hard time listening to the final released mix with Chris so buried, knowing what is lying just below the surface.

More Squire stories later.....

Yeah, NL, both he and Howe were such monster players. And all of the sudden, they're singing counterpoint harmonies (and You and I, etc) and you're just like, "How in the hell are they doing this? And how the hell did they write such amazingly different music (Siberian Khatru, Heart of Sunrise, Close to the Edge)?!?"

RIP Chris and thanks for everything you poured into your craft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home