Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Montauk for sale.
Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:34

Part of stones history there.
If anyone's interested...

[www.elliman.com]

Re: Montauk for sale.
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:44

off topic i know but the Montauk project conspiracy blew my mind a few years ago. its a continuation of the Philadelphia experiment. worth a listen if you get a buzz from time travel possibilities.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:46

mitch

[www.elliman.com]

i can hear the mosquitoes from here!

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:57

It's very pretty, but I think it's overpriced.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2015 19:04

Must be f'cking cold wet and miserable in the winter, right? confused smiley

Date: June 24, 2015 19:16

dcba

Probably, but it is a summer house.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: June 24, 2015 19:48

mitch

[www.elliman.com]

1975. The third photo down...the living room...is where they rehearsed every night during the short time I was there. I remember walking outside to the beach at dawn and hearing them in the background. I knew I needed to savor the experience because it would never happen again. I was right. There was a hallway just out of the right side of the frame that led to some bedrooms. The night I arrived the band was upstate rehearsing on the Lotus stage in Newburgh NY. I got wasted with one of their security people and staggered off to the first bed I could find. The next morning I was awaken, still drunk from the night before, by Keith and Ronnie. Keith asked who I was. I replied, "I'm Chuck." He said OK and they left. Problem was that I knew I wasn't dreaming, I knew who they were, but I didn't know where I was or why I was there. It turned out that I was in Ronnie's bed and he wanted to go to sleep. I later went into next bedrooom where Ronnie was sleeping on the floor. That was my introduction to the Rolling Stones. A time I treasure and will never forget.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 24, 2015 21:47

They just mention Jagger. If tey mentioned Keith had lived there -
the price would go down...:-)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 24, 2015 22:58

Love the furniture! smoking smiley

So, what did they work on here?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2015 23:01

mitch
dcba

Probably, but it is a summer house.

grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 25, 2015 00:31

Keith manages to look cool just frying an egg.

Date: June 25, 2015 02:05

Koen
Love the furniture! smoking smiley

So, what did they work on here?

They rented the complex from Andy Warhol to rehearse for the 1975 Tour Of The Americas (TOTA). Keith and Ronnie stayed in the main house...the one that includes the kitchen seen in the b&w shot and the living room where they set up their amps, Charlie's drums, and a piano for Stu. Mick stayed in one of the other buildings. Charlie and Bill stayed elsewhere, I assume in Montauk. I read that Warhol and Paul Morrissey bought the place for $275,000 in the early 1970s. A far cry from the $85,000,000 it's listed for now. Wow!

I was there to assist Annie Leibovitz, who was the TOTA photographer. She and I set up a shooting space in the basement of one of the other buildings, I think the one Mick stayed in. She was with them at Newburgh NY when I arrived. They set up the Lotus stage in a hangar at an old AF base so they could get used to performing on it. She overslept and they left her there when they came back to Montauk. That was the morning when Keith and Ronnie found me in Ronnie's bed and woke me up. Later the same day I was reading in the living room when I met Mick. I'm a Clueless White Kid From Glendale, and figured the Stones were bigger than life. When he introduced himself, I figured he was another British guy...too small to be Mick Jagger...and I was doing fine until Annie, who had just arrived from Newburgh, came in and said "I see you met Mick." I froze.

Interesting things happened during my short stay there. Some that I can share and others that would best remain as memories. But I can tell you that there is nothing like hearing the Rolling Stones, revved up after weeks of rehearsing, playing in a living room. To this day I'm aware of how fortunate I was to fall into that situation, and it's something I'll never forget.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 25, 2015 02:09

Okay, but that flag picture has to go.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 08:59

Mick Jagger in the book THE BALLAD OF JOHN AND YOKO:

MICK: "...after the Beatles and the Stones stopped playing clubs, we didn't see much of each other...I didn't see much of John until he separated from Yoko, around 1974. We got really friendly again, more friendly than we'd ever been, in fact. We saw each other in L.A. a bit, but mostly in New York City and also out in Montauk, Long Island, where he came to stay with me. We had some funny times. We got really drunk, and we went out on sailboats and just sat around with guitars and played. This was the time when John was preparing to record his rock & roll album, and he was quite openly trying to pick my brains, to decide what to record. We'd run through all the oldies and he'd pick out ones that he liked."

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 09:39

wow never realized that was about annie leibovitz

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:15

1969Fan
mitch

1975. The third photo down...the living room...is where they rehearsed every night during the short time I was there. I remember walking outside to the beach at dawn and hearing them in the background. I knew I needed to savor the experience because it would never happen again. I was right. There was a hallway just out of the right side of the frame that led to some bedrooms. The night I arrived the band was upstate rehearsing on the Lotus stage in Newburgh NY. I got wasted with one of their security people and staggered off to the first bed I could find. The next morning I was awaken, still drunk from the night before, by Keith and Ronnie. Keith asked who I was. I replied, "I'm Chuck." He said OK and they left. Problem was that I knew I wasn't dreaming, I knew who they were, but I didn't know where I was or why I was there. It turned out that I was in Ronnie's bed and he wanted to go to sleep. I later went into next bedrooom where Ronnie was sleeping on the floor. That was my introduction to the Rolling Stones. A time I treasure and will never forget.

Great, great story!

What happened then? In the morning? Did the security catched you?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 25, 2015 17:26

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 25, 2015 17:32

latebloomer
Okay, but that flag picture has to go.

It is in The USA.

The flag stays.

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier.

Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: June 25, 2015 17:42

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 25, 2015 17:51

It does seem a bit overpriced at $85,000,000 considering the relatively old buildings on the property. I imagine whomever purchases it will demolish many of the structures and build a proper mansion, unfortunately.

Date: June 25, 2015 17:58

caschimann
1969Fan
mitch

Great, great story!

What happened then? In the morning? Did the security catched you?

I was there to assist their tour photographer.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 25, 2015 18:09

Title5Take1
Mick Jagger in the book THE BALLAD OF JOHN AND YOKO:

MICK: "...after the Beatles and the Stones stopped playing clubs, we didn't see much of each other...I didn't see much of John until he separated from Yoko, around 1974. We got really friendly again, more friendly than we'd ever been, in fact. We saw each other in L.A. a bit, but mostly in New York City and also out in Montauk, Long Island, where he came to stay with me. We had some funny times. We got really drunk, and we went out on sailboats and just sat around with guitars and played. This was the time when John was preparing to record his rock & roll album, and he was quite openly trying to pick my brains, to decide what to record. We'd run through all the oldies and he'd pick out ones that he liked."

That's when Lennon, Jagger, Clapton I think and several others did an all-star version of 'Bony Moronie.' smiling bouncing smiley

Date: June 25, 2015 18:57

Naturalust
It does seem a bit overpriced at $85,000,000 considering the relatively old buildings on the property. I imagine whomever purchases it will demolish many of the structures and build a proper mansion, unfortunately.

It is "overpriced" because it is old and because it used to belong to Warhol.
A "proper mansion" without pedigree would sold less.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-25 18:58 by mitch.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 25, 2015 21:52

mitch
Naturalust

Hmmm.. well for that price it had better have a bunch or original Warhol art strewn about the compound. winking smiley

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 25, 2015 22:04

Naturalust
mitch
Naturalust

Hmmm.. well for that price it had better have a bunch or original Warhol art strewn about the compound. winking smiley

Probably not Naturalust, but I'll bet MT sprayed some graffiti around the compound to try to lower the property value... smiling smiley

Date: June 25, 2015 22:33

HearMeKnockin
Naturalust
mitch
Naturalust

Probably not Naturalust, but I'll bet MT sprayed some graffiti around the compound to try to lower the property value... smiling smiley

This place has character. Mansions don't. They are monuments to the people who build them.

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 25, 2015 22:41

1969Fan
HearMeKnockin
Naturalust
mitch
Naturalust

This place has character. Mansions don't. They are monuments to the people who build them.

Does that also mean that someone with a BIG house also has a tiny todger?

Its the HTW that give me the Honky Tonk Blues

Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 26, 2015 17:39

The rock

And the rock

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 07:21

I don't know. Home sales out that way have been on a decline. I'd be concerned about being able to unload it if I were to buy it. winking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 17, 2015 13:06

I wanna live there! And cook breakfast (?) bare chested.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home