Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

NOW LOOK--Ronnie's best album
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 29, 2005 01:35

The best Ronnie album by a country mile is "NOW LOOK" While the first album has some incredible tracks (I Can Feel the Fire, Mystifies Me) it kind of falls apart in places (Crotch Music).

NOW LOOK doesn't have those loose ends. In fact, by accident or design, it's practically a concept album! From the first song, I Got Lost When I Found You til I Got a Feeling, the last one, the songs are about a relationship. (OK, maybe not Big Bayou) And it's real intimate guy and girl stuff, not '70's Rock Star sex-cartoon love.

Credit that to Bobby Womack. While some of the tracks were leftover from the 1st album (Carribean Boogie for one) he infuses some real R&B production and perspective into the whole mix.

While this album is not the "Rocker" that some of Wood's other works are, the rewards are much more subtle with this one. Try driving through the desert at night listening to Breathe on Me. (Tracks like this make me lament the Stones under-use of Wood as a writer)

I didn't mention Ian McLagan. He co-produced (with Wood and Womack) and plays all over the album. Keith plays a killer intro on I Can Say She's Alright, and Mac's playing on that track takes it to an even higher level. If you listen on headphones, buried in the mix you can hear Bobby moaning!

In short, this album is the most seamless fusion of English guitar raunch and American R&B ever. I think of it as "EXILE ON SOUL ST.!"

Re: NOW LOOK--Ronnie's best album
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 29, 2005 01:49

no doubt about it - it's a keeper. Regarding Breathe on Me (reprised in acoustic setting on Slide on This, btw) - I always think of Ronnie's comment at the Blind Benefit when he announces this song - apparently someone in the crowd fires back some deratory comment - to which he replies (tongue planted firmly in cheek) - "what do you mean? It's a classic!"

One of RW's most endearing qualities is the lack of self-importance with which he conducts himself and treats his works. I remember some quote of his from the mid-80's when he was asked what he was up to - he said that he had started working on his greatest hits album but then abandoned it when he realized that "I don't have any." Classic....

Posted by: yeti ()
Date: July 29, 2005 01:51

Great post! I agree with you 100%.....Ronnie 1st album was good but Now Look is top-notch. I have friend who is not a Faces/Stones fan at all, but she absolutely loves Now Look, so to me that speaks volumes as to how good it is.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 29, 2005 02:19

Ron Wood has frequently worked with superb collaborators: Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane, (& various Faces combinations), Bernard Fowler, Keith, among others, & here's a perfect fit: Bobby Womack - there are moments that recall Womack's playing on Sly's "Riot." Bobby has a nice 2 cd "Anthology" on Right Stuff/Capitol (covering roughly 1967 - 76), issued a couple years back. And let's not forget the funk: "It's Unholy" (Mick T's superb soloing), & "I Can't Stand the Rain"

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 29, 2005 02:27

Say what you will, but Ronnie has the best solo albums by far. They are really good dirty rock n' roll albums.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 29, 2005 02:43

Yes, undoubtedly his very best by far.

"I got lost when I found You" sets the tone for one of the classic albums of all time. Understated perhaps, but brilliant, definetly.

...and Mick Taylor plays some fine licks on it as well!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 29, 2005 03:38

Totally Agree! IGMOATD and Now Look stand on their own as great albums! Full of steamy licks with a loose backroom jam kind of feel. Lots of friends drop by to join in the party. I always thought IGMATD was more accessible, but Now Look has the best jams...And so soulful!

His later albums had moments, but these are lost classics!

Two of the best Stones solo albums!

Hmmm...I would classify Now Look as an official "Stone's" solo album, but IGMOATD was actually before he joined the Stones on the 75 TOTA, so I guess technically it is a "Faces" solo album!

At any rate, these are "must haves" for Stones and Faces fans!

Ross

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 29, 2005 04:48

The version of Breathe on Me on Slide on This has a different writing credit, as I recall. That is one song that deserves some airplay/recognition.

The Womack anthology john r mentioned is great! Tons of tracks--it would be a deal at twice the price. (It also contains his original version of If You Don't Want My Love, which Ronnie recorded with him for Now Look)

Saw The Womack live about a year ago. If you ever have a chance to see him, GO!!

He is in great shape/voice, and none of his powers have diminished.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: July 29, 2005 06:51

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:45 by cirrhosis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home