Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"A Bigger Bang"......indications
Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:09

After hearing "Oh No, Not You Again", "Streets Of Love" and "Rough Justice" I feel that "A Bigger Bang" is going to be a very good album, by any Stones standards and any time period.

I feel this way mainly because you HEAR and FEEL the confidence with which the band is playing. The songs are strong, the lyrics on "Oh No" and "Justice" are in the gutter.....part sleaze, dripping with sex and Mick is singing them really good. "Streets" is a convincing ballad. The tone is not sappy, the lyrics are totally bittersweet and honest. I love the way Mick sings the verses "up close" and the chorus has a great vocal arc. The guitars are also right for the song and the solo, different from what you expect of the Stones, works really well. Its not a slap at Mick, but the honesty and the admittance of wrong doing in the lyrics leads me to believe that Keith wrote the verses. On this ballad Mick's is very convincing and earnest. His last few attempts at ballads, to me, seemed like he was just going thru the motions, bottoming out with "Always Suffering". "Streets" is far from that

"Justice" is mixed great, Keith, aside from the intro, playing a very broad and filling guitar part with excellent playing by Ronnie. Lyrics are great and the cock line is funny. Sonically the song is dense and tough with Mick again singing great and his vocals crunched into the mix. A really good song.

I will not compare this what I have heard of this album so far to any other album, there really is no point. I think they nailed it, and I think they know it.....they seem to have that certain "Stones swagger" about them again.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the album, I think this one will be a Gem.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts and impressions from what we haven heard so far.

Just a note....I always found that a true Stones fan has a hard time accepting anything new the band puts out, it takes a while for the sounds to sink in and then you start hearing all the "little" things within a song. I am that way and I am a fanatic.

Milo, NYC
Here I stand before you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-28 20:11 by Milo Yammbag.

Re: "A Bigger Bang"......indications
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:16

Agree 100% with you!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:16

Milo - I applaud your optimism and enthusiasm.

Posted by: arjan ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:21

I do agree to. They seem to be on top of things. They play cause they want to and not cause they have to

Arjan

Date: July 28, 2005 20:30

arjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> They play cause they want to and not cause they
> have to
>

but they have to if they want to

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:31

Milo, I agree with you. Especially the last part of your post. The Stones' songs definitely grow on you and once you "get it" as Keith would say, you are hooked. For some reason this album and the sound of the new songs has a much different feel from their last few releases. I hope the album is to the Stones as Time Out Of Mind was for Dylan.

Date: July 28, 2005 20:34

Hound Dog Wrote:
> I hope the album is
> to the Stones as Time Out Of Mind was for Dylan.
>
>

I think I understand your point here, HD, but Dylan had some interesting things to say on TOOM - so far we haven't heard that from the 3 tunes...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:49

Milo,

Well bouncing around on a survey ship off the coast of mid Norway at the moment, I must be the only person in the universe at the moment that hasn't heard ANYTHING at all off the new album, and I'm not going to be in a position to until about the end of August. So thank you for your post, because I have a sneaking suspicion that you may well be right in what you say:

"I think they nailed it, and I think they know it.....they seem to have that certain "Stones swagger" about them again."

I sure hope so, but I think I'm going to like the new album pretty much regardless.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 28, 2005 20:50

T&A, I mean the way that album sort of rejuvinated Dylan and could be considered among many as one of his better. It be nice for the Stones to put out something that made people stop saying they have not done anything worth while since 81 or 78.

Stones don't always have much to say but they know how to rock n roll.

Date: July 28, 2005 21:12

gotcha. yeah, that's the dream, ain't it?

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: July 29, 2005 00:04

T&A, We don't applaud your pessimism and lack of enthusiasm.

Seriously guy, I know you're entitled to your opinion, but crimmity, you're like Capt Negative on this board?!

I think its widely viewed here recently that most folks on IORR are in a celebratory mode due to the fact that Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron have what appears to be a real killer of an album coming down the pike here in September-not to even mention the tour which exorbitant prices aside, will probably be a milestone event in and of itself.

You must have a radar detector that picks up anything positive being said about this album (which we haven't even heard, but from initial reaction to initial tracks, it sounds like a doozey) and immediately fires the rhetorical, flat line, negative, head in the sand response. T&A, I get you, but could you kindly allow folks the oportunity to relish the moment that IMO appears to be another album plateau achieved by the greatest rock and roll band in the world!

And BTW, Hound Dog I agree, who gives a shit about whether or not The Boys are on message or not (like Dylan in TOOM-which BTW resides on my CD rack) just as long as they play sweet rock and roll! And T&A, if that's a dream for you then I'd hate to see your definition of reality.

One final point, no one from my camp is calling this upcoming album the next Let It Bleed or Exile. I just think we're in for a hell of a good time from one of their better efforts in some time. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to post a personal thread right back to T&A admitting that I missed the boat.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 29, 2005 00:17

Some Girls and Dirty work (for example) and parts of later albums have a lot to say, to me, besides great rock & roll (which is a lot in itself). Easily as much as, say, Love & Theft.

Date: July 29, 2005 01:00

Crossfire - you seem to have more opinions about me than you do the Stones! And please be careful with your use of "we." I think "we" all can speak for ourselves just fine.

I simply applauded someone's enthusiasm and optimism...no sarcasm at all. What's wrong with that?

I have no more of a crystal ball than you or anyone regarding the contents of the 13 songs none of us has heard. As I have said many times on this board and the others - I remain hopeful. That's all you can be. You can't know "the unknowable" (that sounds like a Rumsfeld line...yikes!).

I have been as big a Stones fan as anyone for 30 years and counting. I root for them like I do for my 3 kids. If you're reading something in my commentary that's not there - that's your problem, not mine. You don't have to love these three songs to be a Stones fanatic, you know...that's not a requirement.

There also seems to be something of a double standard apparent these days. If you like something like SOL you are a true Stones fan. But, if you diss what I consider to be classics (e.g. Juiced or Where the Boys Go - two songs I love but clearly many do not) you are spared any flogging. Can't have it both ways. We all have our likes and dislikes and by very definition of posting on these sites we are ALL STONES FANATICS.

As a rule I attempt to offer thoughtful, constructive commentary when I provide an opinion....not just "it rocks" or "it sucks." I will not apologize for my opinion, mate....nor would I expect anyone else to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 01:10 by T&A.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 29, 2005 01:46

These reviews are all warm & fuzzy, and make me wonder--who the hell has an advance pressing?

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: July 29, 2005 03:54

T&A-
Humble apologies if I crossed the line... It did seem that "I applaud your optimism and enthusiasm" was dripping with sarcasm? In any case, I agree 100% that none of us have to apologize for our opinions here, but I was simply noting that in elevated moments of praise with some folks (new tunes we've heard) you seem fairly consistent with flying remarks that would send many of the best naysayers to the corner. I'll agree to disagree with you on that point. And I certainly recognize the fact that you're a fan - a true Stones fan, I'm just trying to gain more on your perspective I guess.

In any case best wishes on the road as I'm certainly ready to see The Stones take center stage!! And I do mean it, if the album bombs (which it won't) I'm dedicating a personal thread on this board in your honor!

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 29, 2005 04:02

the hard stuff sounds great ,,dont like jaggers ballad,,, sounds just like his solo stuff,,i hope its better than B2B,,which was a pretty good 1,,

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 29, 2005 05:52

It could be their first number one album in the US since Tattoo You

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 29, 2005 06:17

milo u are correct sir! this album is a long awaited stones album for me. an album of mainly just the boys. without backup singers and horn sections. this will be a good one! enjoy.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: July 29, 2005 08:03

IMHO, the new single is a promising taste
for the new album. It's got the old edge
to the lyrics and guitars. If they flesh
this out more with the other less commercial
single orientated trax, they might very well
be onto something very good to great here.
Only time will tell tho.

Any criticism won't phase me -Don't a lot of
fans usually dislike whatever they do at first?
I remember even Exile got a lot of bad reviews at first..........

It must be hard for the Stones to live in the shadow of
their own greatness!!! ;-)

Date: July 29, 2005 10:05

I know this thread is about your comments and opinions for "A Bigger Bang", based on what we have heard so far, but I do have somehting to add.

Someone mentioned Dylan's TOOM album and that he had some interesting things to say. Since when have the Stones OVERTLY "had something to say?". Yes, I realized you can name a few tracks with political content or Dylanesque social commentary.....but those tracks are few and far between, and let's not even count "Back To Zero" because it is such an awful track. Political/social references in Stones songs over the years ? yes. Off the top of my head comes, of course SFM, Sweet Black Angel,Heartbreaker, Fingerprint File, Respectable (really a shot at Bianca), Indian Girl, Undercover, Hold Back, High Wire, Blinded By Rainbows and a few more, out of a few HUNDRED songs.

The Stone have never been a "message" band and I hope they don't start now. Let Springsteen, U2, Sting, Mellencamp and a few others spew their opinions and preach to the masses.

I listen to music, and the Stones in particular, as a break from reality. We are bombarded with enough political and social opinion in newspapers, magazines, TV and movies. I do not want the Stones to have "anythng to say..........I just want to hear the musc.

With that said................who has any opinion, thoughts or observations/predictions about "Bang"

Milo, NYC
And I hid the speed inside My shoe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 18:13 by Milo Yammbag.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 29, 2005 10:37

I totally agree with the optimism of Milo. There is lots of indications that the album is going to be a great one.

(Of the new songs, my cents somewhere here: [iorr.org])

But I comment only the interesting Dylan comparison here. For years I have hoped that the Stones will do a Time Out Of Mind of their own. What that means is that Dylan find his muse again, and (after 8 years or something in a mud) came with a strong album with full of great songs. The 'old' Dylan was back, but at the same he sounded fresh and unique, once again found a new style and way to express himself. The spark was there again.

What goes for that he had "something interesting to say" - I take that to mean that his creativity was refound again. A message? There was no other message only that there was a man talking about getting old, facing death, a jealous feelings, etc. The guy was expressing the circumstances of his life like he once did with "Blood On The Tracks". No overt political or social comments, just basically a guy talking about his life and feelings - and when we are dealing with poets like him all this stuff was easily universally recognizeble. Maybe he was the spokeman of his generation that seemed touch this audience - and younger like mine - again.

But anyway, The Stones are not Dylan (fortunately). But what they can do is learn something from is his example: don't give a @#$%& about current trends, just listen and trust their own instincts and strengths, be themselves 100%, play 12 bar blues if they feel to, talk about chasing women and getting laid, and perhaps, by accident, this might turn out be quite trendy, after all...

I sense that sort of 'spark' of Time Out Of Mind in A Bigger Bang...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-29 10:41 by Doxa.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: July 29, 2005 10:55

I couldn't agree with you more!

three cheers for Milo!!!

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: July 29, 2005 11:00

As for me Dylan's 2001 "Love and Theft" was even better than "Time Out Of Mind" in 1997, although my opinion is controversial. The fact is that Bob came up with 2 wonderful albums.
I do love VL and BtB, there is no period of decline for me. I like all new songs
and look forward for a "Bigger Bang". I'm sure it is going to be GREAT.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 29, 2005 16:20

Amen Milo....

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 29, 2005 17:51

good posts, milo and doxa - cheers crossfire....

Date: July 29, 2005 18:29

Doxa,

I see your point and agree, especially your comments about the band doing whatever they feel like doing.

We, as Stones hardcore fans (fanatics really) are the toughest critics of the band, even though we LOVE their music. I hope that this album is judged on it's own.......which is tough to do considering their history. I must admit that of the 3 songs I have heard none of them remind of any other song they have done. With that said I must admit that it takes time, a lot of time for me, to get used to any new Stones material and REALLY hear it.

To me a new Stones album is like running into an an old girlfriend, ten years after the carpet burns.... You know her, you know her really well, she still looks the same but there is something different about her that takes a few minutes for the brain to adjust too. Once the brain accepts the time passed and you realize its that hot chick...you immediately want to bang her again.

Milo, NYC
Yeah, I heard about your courderoys

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 29, 2005 21:41

Milo, I really admire your way with words

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 29, 2005 23:03

Rolling Hansie Wrote:
> Milo, I really admire your way with words
>
>

I did too - until I got to your last sentence....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2005 01:40

Milo Yammbag Wrote:
>
> We, as Stones hardcore fans (fanatics really) are
> the toughest critics of the band, even though we
> LOVE their music.

watch it, Milo. Some people would argue that you cant possibly be both ;-)

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: July 30, 2005 02:05

T&A,

you are wrong. "It rocks" or "it sucks". Its that easy. Cause you know, its only rock&roll. @#$%& the nice guitar licks, if the whole song is shit, as you don't care, how shit a song sounds, if it has the power.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home