Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Allen Klein: The Man Who Bailed Out the Beatles, Made the Stones, and Transformed Rock & Roll
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:56

Bliss
You're very tolerant, NL, but after nearly 10 years of reading what I will generously call fantasies, my own tolerance has worn rather thin. But who knows - perhaps some evidence will be forthcoming.

I gotta say I didn't like what you did there.

Re: Allen Klein: The Man Who Bailed Out the Beatles, Made the Stones, and Transformed Rock & Roll
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 03:57

whitem8
I don't need to read a book about Alan Klein. Just that title of him bailing out the stones and saving The Beatles is just such revisionist clap trap. The guy was a shyster. He fleeced so many in the music business, and man, to steal from the UNICEF charity after the concerts for Bangladesh is just atrocious. The guy should have done more time. He was a criminal.

quite right I think

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 28, 2015 15:16

treaclefingers
whitem8
I don't need to read a book about Alan Klein. Just that title of him bailing out the stones and saving The Beatles is just such revisionist clap trap. The guy was a shyster. He fleeced so many in the music business, and man, to steal from the UNICEF charity after the concerts for Bangladesh is just atrocious. The guy should have done more time. He was a criminal.

quite right I think

I haven't read the book but this line from the WSJ review above looks like evidence presented is damning despite the spin: "Mr. Goodman does his best to present Klein as something other than what Paul McCartney called him, a `trained New York crook.' It is a bold effort at historical revision but ultimately unconvincing—because Mr. Goodman is honest and unsparing in presenting the evidence." The spin was perhaps to appease Klein's son in exchange for cooperation. But, again, I haven't read the book. I am curious in the "evidence" presented.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 19:40

treaclefingers
Bliss
You're very tolerant, NL, but after nearly 10 years of reading what I will generously call fantasies, my own tolerance has worn rather thin. But who knows - perhaps some evidence will be forthcoming.

this review from an archivist at the jimi hendrix foundation is interesting. hard to know who or what to believe. cigarette packs sold on eBay?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 3, 2015 20:59

He probably also wrote the songs.....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 3, 2015 21:25

Turner68
treaclefingers
Bliss

this review from an archivist at the jimi hendrix foundation is interesting. hard to know who or what to believe. cigarette packs sold on eBay?

[www.amazon.com]

Read the book and make up your own mind. It's not hard to imagine someone from the Jimi Hendrix foundation is going to make a negative review. She is pretty brutal in her discussion of Jaime Hendrix and the what became of the Hendrix archives and legacy. Hendrix is big business and anyone with a different story other than the company line is bound to be attacked on many different levels. Perhaps he Hendrix story is told through the filter of her own life and feelings but nothing inherently wrong with that, imo.

I think her assertion that Jimi committed suicide is bound to be extremely controversial, it's a pretty outrageous statement. But it's also hard to imagine someone taking 9 extremely potent sleeping pills and not expecting the possibility. Obviously, we'll never know the truth but for those still searching you've got to let everybody who was nearby have their say, imo.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: August 4, 2015 18:24

"The spin was perhaps to appease Klein's son in exchange for cooperation"

Do cops eat donuts?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 4, 2015 19:05

I'm more than happy to supply BV with the ACTUAL FACTS regarding any post that
has to do with me.

Date: August 16, 2015 10:33

I'm two-thirds through and, while the title suggests the book is a hagiography, it's quite misleading, as the book reveals Klein for being a jerk plenty.

An example from page 178:

“[Lawyer] Marty Machat’s son Steven recalled Jagger telephoning his family’s house in Roslyn, New York, when Klein was visiting there. “Is Allen there with your father?” Mick asked.

Steven excitedly ran to Klein and told him that Jagger was on the phone for him. But fifteen minutes later, the teenager noticed one of the phone lines blinking, and he picked it up to discover Jagger still waiting for Klein.

When Steven reminded Klein that Jagger was on the phone, Klein waved him off. “Tell him I’ll be there,” he said.

“I think he’s upset.”

“He’ll wait.”

Looking back, Machat still shakes his head over the obvious snub. “My dad said Allen lost all interest in the Rolling Stones. All he wants is the Beatles.”

review of the Allen Klien book in Goldmine
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 19:23

[www.goldminemag.com]

Seems like the reviewer is enthralled with this account of Klien.

Cant say that I had the same take as the reviewer.

Re: review of the Allen Klien book in Goldmine
Date: August 18, 2015 22:53

I finished the book last night. Despite the title it's not all that sympathetic. The reviewer says, "John loved him." But on p. 243 the author says this about John's song about Klein STEEL AND GLASS: It's "John at his nastiest; he simultaneously threatened Klein and portrayed him as inconsequential."

Upon seeing Klein shortly after John's murder, Yoko said, "He had so much to live for. You should have died instead of him."

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 22:58

wouldn't be surprised if the reviewer never read the book... this song is not john at his finest. i sometimes wonder if it was mick's joke on john and the beatles to recommend klein.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 18, 2015 23:04

Was Klein klien ? smoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:43

Turner68
wouldn't be surprised if the reviewer never read the book... this song is not john at his finest. i sometimes wonder if it was mick's joke on john and the beatles to recommend klein.

Its well documented that on many fronts, Mick was completely disenchanted with Klein by 1968. So why he didnt just warn off John Lennon is a mystery to me. It would obviously end in tears. Lennon was hopeless at business matters.
Just check Bill's Stone Alone book. The ABKCO office werent giving the Stones London
office enough monies to pay for general overheads etc. However, very soon Klein was willing to put up a substantial holding in MGM shares to help support the Beatles bid for Northern Songs.
And not to mention the Stones tax liabilities, the blame for which can be laid firmly at the door of their business manager.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home