Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Brian Jones to rejoin the Stones?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 15, 2015 21:11

<<Well, The Who use film of Moony and John Entwistle nowadays and it always bring the house down. I can't see why not.>>

True, but the Who actually liked Moon and Entwistle. Therein lies the crucial difference between the Who's who and our Brian. winking smiley

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: June 15, 2015 21:37

In all fairness to the OP, the other thread was about "New Technology," and a light-hearted suggestion of a Brian hologram appeared (sorry, couldn't resist). It was never seriously discussed (perhaps with good reason), but the use of film and audio might be within easier technological reach.

I'm not going to delve into whether or not the surviving band members would be OK with devoting a few minutes of a show to Brian's memory. But I do have some observations of other acts doing something similar.

The previous post in this thread about The Who's use of Entwistle and Moon footage (mostly) works, because they need Ox on 5:15 and they need Keith on Bell Boy. It helps that they pro-shot isolated film and audio tracks of them performing live, so the performance was neatly seamless -- when it worked. I was at a concert a few years back where the Moon audio track failed during Bell Boy and kind of left Zak holding the ball.

Jason Bonham also has done a virtual dual drum solo/duet with his father, where he uses a filmed performance of Bonzo as his duet partner. Again, that works because it is appropriate and fitting, plus the film was pro-shot and the quality was suitable.

With Brian, you're reaching back into B&W TV days for at least some of the performances which were pro-shot. The quality of even color film from pre-1970 is noticeably lower, as is the quality of audio recording. Do the Stones even have a good quality video with audio of Brian in isolation? If so, does it contain a song that would fit in with their tours in recent (or near-future) years?

If the Stones decide to work in some live tribute to Brian on a tour, they'll find a way. It may be with photos flashing on the screen while performing a Brian 'signature' song (the way McCartney does tributes to John and George), or it may be a visual sing-along. If it fits with what they're doing, they'll do it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2015 22:08

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Getting back on topic. Horrible idea.

What about a hologram of Keith, who's still at the pub not bothering to show up? Pre-recorded without overdubs?

sometimes I can't tell whether you're being serious or not.

Look who's talking smiling smiley

great movie...well, great for the 80s anyway

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 15, 2015 22:19

<<Do the Stones even have a good quality video with audio of Brian in isolation?>>

There were two in-color opportunities in 1968 with One Plus One and Rock and Roll Circus, but the Stones chose to turn his audio channel down, particularly on the former, where he sits in his isolation booth with headphones on strumming an acoustic guitar, yet completely inaudible in the clip.

However, if they chose, they could dub him in for a run-through of No Expectations, a song he put a particular stamp of his own on, and with a guitar no less and not some exotic instrument, and it would make a fine tribute since his playing on that occasion was sublime.

No Expectations/You Can't Always Get What You Want RnR Circus at: [www.dailymotion.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 16, 2015 00:41

stonehearted
<<Well, The Who use film of Moony and John Entwistle nowadays and it always bring the house down. I can't see why not.>>

True, but the Who actually liked Moon and Entwistle. Therein lies the crucial difference between the Who's who and our Brian. winking smiley

It's not just a question of "liking" them. Moon and Entwistle died as fully-fledged members of the Who. Brian died as a recently fired former Rolling Stone. In the 46 years since they paid their respects at Hyde Park, they haven't shown much interest in resurrecting his memory. Why would they?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 01:05 by tatters.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 16, 2015 13:25

treaclefingers
flacnvinyl
MrThompsonWooft
DandelionPowderman
This has never been discussed here before, right?

[www.iorr.org]

Were you seriously expecting me to know that it had been discussed before? Were you seriously expecting me to check before posting?

Hey welcome aboard! Don't take it personally. DP is very friendly and means no harm. Remember also that everyone on this forum is from all over the world.

Long time posters usually search on topics before starting a thread but not always. Trust me, I am tempted to start a "Stones should play more Chuck Berry songs" thread every day!

Regarding the hologram idea, I am not a fan. I would far rather they do a 3-song mini set of songs Brian really contributed on. 2000 Light Years, Little Red Rooster and The Last Time would be a great mini set!

DP is a scandinavian agitator.

>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 13:25 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home