Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: You know what no one ever talks about on Sway...
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 11:10

It's a great track. Great performances. Great vocal.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 11, 2015 11:38

No one ever talks about how the instruments create a great swampy humid prehistoric landscape
wherein a massive sauropod, hearing something compelling, raises its head

I mean really no one ever talks about that. Discuss

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 12:49

Just a little bit of irony, the hotel we stayed in Tuesday downtown Hyatt Regency, has a restaurant named Sway. Too bad they didn't play the tune.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 13:11

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 13:27 by Turner68.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 11, 2015 13:32

Charlies drums on the intro ... Mick's driving vocals ... Nicky Hopkin's piano ... the whole feel ...

all unrivalled

that tune's simply breathtaking

every time anew

a masterpiece

something for eternity

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 11, 2015 15:04

Green Lady
Turner68
Mick Taylor didn't have nearly as much to do with this song as some seem to think (e.g. Naturlist: "I have always imagined that that the lyrics were penned by MT but knowing better I think it may be Jagger writing from Taylors perspective. Possibly Taylor hanging around Jaggers house talking about his desire to escape the clutches of Keith's hard drug influences" )

Here's what Mick Taylor has to say: "I added my solo to Sway, but it's very much Mick's song."

And since the second verse is about Brian Jones' death, it's highly unlikely that this is Mick writing about Mick Taylor or from Mick Taylor's perspective.

It strikes me as a very Mick Jagger way of looking at things: while others have their various (sometimes lethal) addictions, their "demons", he won't be going that way because he's addicted to being alive; to life itself:

It's just that demon, Life, that's got me in its sway...

His drug was sex, it seems.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: June 11, 2015 16:08

Destroyed your notion of circular time

I've always wondered if there's any deeper meaning to this line.

Or does it simply refer to someone's sensation that "time goes round in circles"?

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: June 11, 2015 17:48

What no one talks about is this is the Sticky Fingers "deep cut" they should be playing every night on zip code tour.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 11, 2015 18:26

Shott
What no one talks about is this is the Sticky Fingers "deep cut" they should be playing every night on zip code tour.

well yes, they should..

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 11, 2015 18:35

kleermaker
Green Lady
Turner68
Mick Taylor didn't have nearly as much to do with this song as some seem to think (e.g. Naturlist: "I have always imagined that that the lyrics were penned by MT but knowing better I think it may be Jagger writing from Taylors perspective. Possibly Taylor hanging around Jaggers house talking about his desire to escape the clutches of Keith's hard drug influences" )

Here's what Mick Taylor has to say: "I added my solo to Sway, but it's very much Mick's song."

And since the second verse is about Brian Jones' death, it's highly unlikely that this is Mick writing about Mick Taylor or from Mick Taylor's perspective.

It strikes me as a very Mick Jagger way of looking at things: while others have their various (sometimes lethal) addictions, their "demons", he won't be going that way because he's addicted to being alive; to life itself:

And success, fame, wealth and social ascendency.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 11, 2015 18:58

Shott
Is "Sway" a deep cut? Not in my book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 20:28 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 11, 2015 20:32

with sssoul
No one ever talks about how the instruments create a great swampy humid prehistoric landscape
wherein a massive sauropod, hearing something compelling, raises its head

I mean really no one ever talks about that. Discuss

Huh? Wha'?

Date: June 11, 2015 20:35

dead.flowers
Destroyed your notion of circular time

I've always wondered if there's any deeper meaning to this line.

Or does it simply refer to someone's sensation that "time goes round in circles"?

yes, i think so, although "simple" is selling it a bit short. such notions are strongly present in physics as well as buddhism, etc.

it also of course refers to the shape of the clock - a circle - and how a certain moment, like presumably the one he mentions, can make it seem as though time has stopped.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 21:13

At this point, I'm happy hearing whatever tunes the band feels like playing. Especially since they are playing them with....passion. My favorite Stones tune? The next one they play.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 11, 2015 22:05

Bliss
kleermaker
Green Lady
Turner68
Mick Taylor didn't have nearly as much to do with this song as some seem to think (e.g. Naturlust: "I have always imagined that that the lyrics were penned by MT but knowing better I think it may be Jagger writing from Taylors perspective. Possibly Taylor hanging around Jaggers house talking about his desire to escape the clutches of Keith's hard drug influences" )

I understand now it was Mick's song, but until I heard that quote from MT it just seemed to fit Taylor's situation and emotional state at the time so much better than Jagger's it's easy to imagine there was some of his story in Mick's lyrics, imo.

Interesting perspective from Green Lady and so well described with the addition of a single comma! I don'y buy it though, life was pretty exciting for Jagger back then and I think he viewed "demon life" more as something happening to Keith and Taylor specifically associated with their heroin problems. Perhaps Mick was actually on the fence back then looking at the demons on one side luring him over. He certainly was just as open to drug taking in general and I imagine took them often. I think he just kept it more private and under control than the others. Certainly his clean living these days allows one to assume he was very separate from it all but in 1971 I doubt he had that perspective.

As far as Mick's drug of choice, we have to trust his best friend at the time Keith's opinion about that and he said it was clearly adoration. Perhaps he's swayed more to to success, wealth, fame and social status but there are elements of adoration in all those.

I also don't think the friends out on the burial ground is specifically about Brian. Plenty of people around Mick were dying back then, mostly of drug related causes, further fuel for the demon life/ heroin connection. It seemed 1970 and 1971 were popular years for heroin in the music industry, so many were dabbling in it if not full on addicted. A heavy price to pay for a bit of creativity and emotional shelter, demon-like even. smoking smiley

peace

Date: June 11, 2015 22:09

Naturalust
Bliss
kleermaker
Green Lady
Turner68
Mick Taylor didn't have nearly as much to do with this song as some seem to think (e.g. Naturlust: "I have always imagined that that the lyrics were penned by MT but knowing better I think it may be Jagger writing from Taylors perspective. Possibly Taylor hanging around Jaggers house talking about his desire to escape the clutches of Keith's hard drug influences" )

I understand now it was Mick's song, but until I heard that quote from MT it just seemed to fit Taylor's situation and emotional state at the time so much better than Jagger's it's easy to imagine there was some of his story in Mick's lyrics, imo.

Interesting perspective from Green Lady and so well described with the addition of a single comma! I don'y buy it though, life was pretty exciting for Jagger back then and I think he viewed "demon life" more as something happening to Keith and Taylor specifically associated with their heroin problems. Perhaps Mick was actually on the fence back then looking at the demons on one side luring him over. He certainly was just as open to drug taking in general and I imagine took them often. I think he just kept it more private and under control than the others. Certainly his clean living these days allows one to assume he was very separate from it all but in 1971 I doubt he had that perspective.

As far as Mick's drug of choice, we have to trust his best friend at the time Keith's opinion about that and he said it was clearly adoration. Perhaps he's swayed more to to success, wealth, fame and social status but there are elements of adoration in all those.

I also don't think the friends out on the burial ground is specifically about Brian. Plenty of people around Mick were dying back then, mostly of drug related causes, further fuel for the demon life/ heroin connection. It seemed 1970 and 1971 were popular years for heroin in the music industry, so many were dabbling in it if not full on addicted. A heavy price to pay for a bit of creativity and emotional shelter, demon-like even. smoking smiley

peace

The song was recorded in March 1970. No one I can think of around Mick had died at that point other than Brian and Meredith Hunter. Hendrix died in September 1970, Graham Parsons in 1973.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 22:24 by Turner68.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 11, 2015 22:53

You people seek too much meaning in those lyrics. And of course it was also partially the other Mick's song. Otherwise than Paul McCartney both Keith and Jagger never came with clear-cut songs into the room. Just rough ideas and sketches.

Re: Sway
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 11, 2015 22:55

with sssoul
geordiestone
I talked about Sway sometime last year and how Keith doesn't play on it and i was told i was talking nonsense
but yet in Micks latest Uncut interview he confirms Keith didn't play on it.

Hmmm - some kind of misunderstanding. It hasn't been a surprise since the 1970s that Keith didn't play on the studio version;
back-up vocals were his only contribution. If someone here quarrelled with you about that I'm surprised.
No, not quarelled but was adamant that Keith did play.

Date: June 11, 2015 23:35

Turner68
The song was recorded in March 1970. No one I can think of around Mick had died at that point other than Brian and Meredith Hunter. Hendrix died in September 1970, Graham Parsons in 1973.

No, it was recorded in October and December 1970 and February 1971. Not sure at what point in the process Mick added the "friends out on the burial ground" line, but assuming it was October we can include a few more to the list (Hendrix, Joplin), and considering their very recent deaths it was probably pretty fresh in his mind. When he sings "can't stand the feeling getting so knocked down" it sure sounds like he's close to the pain of loss. Some of his most emotional vocals really. I think he probably got over Brian's death more quickly for several reasons.

Besides there were others like Tara Browne and probably ones we didn't know about because they were not in the public's eye. .

peace

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 23:44

yaws

Date: June 11, 2015 23:56

Naturalust
Turner68

No, it was recorded in October and December 1970 and February 1971. Not sure at what point in the process Mick added the "friends out on the burial ground" line, but assuming it was October we can include a few more to the list (Hendrix, Joplin), and considering their very recent deaths it was probably pretty fresh in his mind. When he sings "can't stand the feeling getting so knocked down" it sure sounds like he's close to the pain of loss. Some of his most emotional vocals really. I think he probably got over Brian's death more quickly for several reasons.

Besides there were others like Tara Browne and probably ones we didn't know about because they were not in the public's eye. .

peace

You should let Rene and Keno know you have new info about when Sway was recorded.

Date: June 12, 2015 00:52

Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68

peace

You should let Rene and Keno know you have new info about when Sway was recorded.

They have known to be wrong. The best info I have says:

March recordings included You Gotta Move, C*cksucker Blues, Brown Sugar and I Got the Blues

July recordings included Shake Your Hips, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, All Down the Line, Sweet Virginia and Shine a Light.

October recordings included Bitch, Tumbling Dice, Sweet Black Angel, Hide Your Love, Moonlight Mile and Sway.

The October recordings started Oct 17, 1970 and ended October 31, 1970. So both Jimi and Janis were out on the burial ground.

Perhaps you might be so kind as to inform Keno of the possible corrections to when Sway was recorded. I don't really frequent Keno's webite, I did post a note to Rene on his Track Talk thread. thanks.

peace

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:22

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68

peace

They have known to be wrong. The best info I have says:

March recordings included You Gotta Move, C*cksucker Blues, Brown Sugar and I Got the Blues

July recordings included Shake Your Hips, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, All Down the Line, Sweet Virginia and Shine a Light.

October recordings included Bitch, Tumbling Dice, Sweet Black Angel, Hide Your Love, Moonlight Mile and Sway.

The October recordings started Oct 17, 1970 and ended October 31, 1970. So both Jimi and Janis were out on the burial ground.

Perhaps you might be so kind as to inform Keno of the possible corrections to when Sway was recorded. I don't really frequent Keno's webite, I did post a note to Rene on his Track Talk thread. thanks.

peace

someone should ask Bill to check his diary...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:39

woodyweaving
I think one of the most underrated losses the stones took to their sound was the reduced use of NIcky Hopkins. He was so great when he was around and so was the band as a whole so he kind of went unnoticed.
It's kind of like a good drummer. You take it for granted when they are with you but you appreciate them a whole lot more when you have someone who isn't as good.

Billy Preston was good for his time, the mid-70s, which was much funkier. The problem is that they didn't find a good replacement after that, and still haven't.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 12, 2015 03:43

Just listened to "Sway" and you're right - the piano work is great. Nicky sparkled on every track he played on without ever sounding out of place or too prominent. He added a grace to some of the Stones best ballads, or he could boogie like Stu. Genius.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 12, 2015 16:14

Rockman

Bill obviously stored all kind of dates...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1704
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home