Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Going to Villefranche
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 8, 2015 23:04

Marianne has often stated that she left her seven year r'ship with Mick with nothing but £5 and a Persian rug. I never saw her as being interested in money. Anita, (along with Keith) on the other hand, was described by a writer as being the most acquisitive people he had ever seen.

To me, again, those are Keith's lyrics. He doesn't have the same literary background or polish Mick does, although his lyrics are often very beautiful and moving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 23:05 by Bliss.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: June 8, 2015 23:04

not a fantastic video but maybe you will like it ...
have a nice trip Harlem

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 8, 2015 23:09

Bliss
Marianne has often stated that she left her seven year r'ship with Mick with nothing but £5 and a Persian rug. I never saw her as being interested in money. Anita, (along with Keith) on the other hand, was described by a writer as being the most acquisitive people he had ever seen.

To me, again, those are Keith's lyrics. He doesn't have the same literary background or polish Mick does, although his lyrics are often very beautiful and moving.

lyrics are almost never about one thing or one person, especially when you're collaborating. was wild horses a lullaby for marlon, or about keith missing marlon whilst on the road, or about keith missing anita whilst on the road, or about mick missing marianne? best guess would be it's all of the above and more. very likely the same is true here.

by the way the lyrics make it sound like she's *not* interested in money - " i though you wanted my money but it was my heart that you stole"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 23:11 by Turner68.

Date: June 8, 2015 23:34

by the way the lyrics make it sound like she's *not* interested in money - " i though you wanted my money but it was my heart that you stole"

That is the point. After 7 years, Mick would have known that Marianne was not interested in money and so would not have written that line about her; from what I have read, she never asked him for a penny although she was living in poverty after their split. Whereas Anita was described by someone else as being exceptionally acquisitive.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 9, 2015 00:56

Bliss

That is the point. After 7 years, Mick would have known that Marianne was not interested in money and so would not have written that line about her; from what I have read, she never asked him for a penny although she was living in poverty after their split. Whereas Anita was described by someone else as being exceptionally acquisitive.

This song was released in 2010 with new vocals by Mick and new guitar parts by Taylor. All that existed from 1971 were basic raw tracks without Mick on them at all. Its not entirely clear but I'd bet the lyrics were written in 2010 too and if so, they could be about a fairly huge number of ladies besides Marianne or Anita. The below quotes from timeisonourside:

The (Exile outtakes) weren't all recorded in the same place. Some of them I really remembered, but some I didn't remember at all. Some of them were really together - maybe the one you've heard, it was called Plundered My Soul, that was perfect, you didn't have to edit, it was all perfect. Some of the others were much more loose jams.
- Mick Jagger, 2010

I’ve put Mick Taylor on Plundered My Soul, because he wasn’t on it. I wasn’t on it, he wasn’t on it, so obviously we were driving to the studio when that was done (laughs)... (I)t was very nice, it was just like the old days, you know, I just sat Mick down and we did it like half an hour...
- Mick Jagger, 2010

(I)t was one of Mick's songs. It was among the outtakes that had to be finished. Actually, some of them were finished. But this particular song didn't have a vocal on it and it didn't have any lead guitar. It just had Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts playing on it. So he asked me to step into the studio one afternoon, and I did some guitar in about three or four passes. I thought it turned out well.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

It's not typical of Exile on Main Street - it's just that it was recorded during that period. It's got backup vocals and things on it that were done a couple of years ago. The original track is just sort of Keith's rhythm guitar, Bill Wyman's bass playing and Charlie Watts' drumming, and it's very raw.

peace

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:30

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my original enquiry.
If anyone can recommend somewhere to stay I'd be very grateful. I guess it goes without saying that the south of France is expensive but I'm only looking for somewhere to sleep and perhaps have breakfast for a couple of days so whatever the cost, it should be affordable. No doubt I can find somewhere from a tourist website but a personal recommendation is usually a better option.

Date: June 11, 2015 09:44

Naturalust
Bliss

This song was released in 2010 with new vocals by Mick and new guitar parts by Taylor. All that existed from 1971 were basic raw tracks without Mick on them at all. Its not entirely clear but I'd bet the lyrics were written in 2010 too and if so, they could be about a fairly huge number of ladies besides Marianne or Anita. The below quotes from timeisonourside:

The (Exile outtakes) weren't all recorded in the same place. Some of them I really remembered, but some I didn't remember at all. Some of them were really together - maybe the one you've heard, it was called Plundered My Soul, that was perfect, you didn't have to edit, it was all perfect. Some of the others were much more loose jams.
- Mick Jagger, 2010

I’ve put Mick Taylor on Plundered My Soul, because he wasn’t on it. I wasn’t on it, he wasn’t on it, so obviously we were driving to the studio when that was done (laughs)... (I)t was very nice, it was just like the old days, you know, I just sat Mick down and we did it like half an hour...
- Mick Jagger, 2010

(I)t was one of Mick's songs. It was among the outtakes that had to be finished. Actually, some of them were finished. But this particular song didn't have a vocal on it and it didn't have any lead guitar. It just had Keith Richards, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts playing on it. So he asked me to step into the studio one afternoon, and I did some guitar in about three or four passes. I thought it turned out well.

- Mick Taylor, 2012

It's not typical of Exile on Main Street - it's just that it was recorded during that period. It's got backup vocals and things on it that were done a couple of years ago. The original track is just sort of Keith's rhythm guitar, Bill Wyman's bass playing and Charlie Watts' drumming, and it's very raw.

peace

You are probably right but we will never know for sure. If the lyrics were written in 2010, then it could indeed be Mick's newer sloppier style (cf. A Bigger Bang) and not Keith's consistently more sparce poetic style.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 11, 2015 19:46

Bliss
Naturalust
Bliss

- Mick Jagger, 2010

- Mick Jagger, 2010

- Mick Taylor, 2012

peace

You are probably right but we will never know for sure. If the lyrics were written in 2010, then it could indeed be Mick's newer sloppier style (cf. A Bigger Bang) and not Keith's consistently more sparce poetic style.

Yeah that's my take on the lyrical style too, seems more Mick 2010 than either Keith or Mick 1971. But, perhaps we will know someday if Mick chooses to talk about it's though not even close the first question I'd be asking him.

That would probably be something like "Have you ever rehearsed Let It Loose?" And if not, "would you consider playing this sometime?" "Please."
smoking smiley

peace

peace

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 18, 2015 20:03

Finally I made it!

Being in Italy for a holiday with the family we decided
to go to Monaco on our son´s birthday. On the way back we
took a bath at the Prom de Marinieres in Villefranche.

I said: "Around this bay is a villa called
Nellcote where the Stones recorded my favourite album!"
"Yes, Dad!"
I didn´t want to search it as it was getting late and we
had to go another 100 km back to Italy.

On our way back I decided to drive right instead of left.
One of those intuitive decisíons in life...

And on the right hand side there it was...one of the
holy Stones places...Nellcote!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-29 01:32 by TooTough.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 18, 2015 21:25

Glad you made it TooTough...it's those sort of instinctual decisions which often give us the best memories in life. You will forever remember the day you stood outside Nellcote!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 19, 2015 00:25

That's a great pic TooTough, so cool :-). Congrats!

I disagree about the song 'Plundered'. Oh yes it's Exile, my bones know. I find it odd Mick claims 'found it perfect' (and it IS PERFECT) BUT, no vocals? What? How's that perfect? How is it we have PERFECT Keith back-up vocals?
Know what I think? He did find it perfect. Gold, just like the rest of Exile,
maybe it needed more guitar, maybe he did MT a solid saying hey come in w/me for just a little freshen- up guitar/ more,
but as a Jagger voice lover, it sounds to ME, like just the very, very end Jagger vocals are new. How about Keith back up vocals just right? (Asking twice)
I could be wrong. I don't think I am. That song is pure Exile. Nothin' 2010 about it to me. Maybe Jagger's playin' an ego game. Love Mick, just sayin'.
Oh, and no way did Jagger write that about Anita, IMO again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 00:26 by 35love.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 19, 2015 14:16

Harlem Shuffler
Has anybody here visited Villefranche or, better still, does anyone here live there?
I'm thinking of nipping over this year to soak up the vibe and see how close I can get to Nellcote.
Any information as to what it's like and good places to stay for a few days would be very much appreciated.

I visited Villefranche in 2005. We stayed in Nice and got the bus to Villefranche, which is about a 20 minute ride from Nice. Villefranche is quite small and has a lovely beach. Refreshingly, it does not have a marina, which means the beachfront is not full of yachties and saddoes taking photos of sports cars.

Posted by: stonesctl ()
Date: September 9, 2015 21:39

I visited Villefranche this past May. I was staying in Nice and made my wife take the "pilgrimage" with me over to find Nellcote. You can take a train from Nice to Villefranche-su-mer (it's a really quick trip), and when you get off (you are directly above the inlet), you can walk down the train-station steps and on to the shoreline. If you walk east around the shoreline, you eventually come up to a parking lot and a staircase. From the parking lot, you can see the steps up to Nellcote. You can also take a staircase that follows up along the wall under the train tracks and you will come up to Nellcote almost immediately. It's cool to see the Nellcote plaque and know that you are standing next to hollowed grounds of raw music and debauchery. You can't see much from sea-side of Nellcote or from the gates of Nellcote, but it's still really cool.

I read somewhere that the last time it was sold that it went for north of US 100 million. Can't even imagine...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home