Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Karl Denton is a Great Saxophonist, But…..
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 5, 2015 13:33

DoomandGloom
Turner68
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
TheBlockbuster
Turner68
i agree. i feel that Chuck is a complete disaster.

How is he a disaster? I love his playing on Angie, Jumping Jack Flash and You Can't Always Get.. to name a few.
I've never liked his solo on Honky Tonk Women, it feels a bit too Vegas, but otherwise I think he does a great job on most tunes.

you nailed the heart of it with your comment about HTW. Chuck's solos are very pedestrian, Vegas yes, but not even on the main strip of Vegas, more like the seedy outskirts of vegas.

if they cut his solos and "fills" i would be fine.

in addition to HTW i think he is ruining SFTD on this tour. a back line musician castrating 2 out of 20 songs in a show is what i would call a disaster.

Karl is awesome.

Chuck's hammond and Rhodes playing is still great. It is the mid-range piano tinkling that doesn't work so well, imo.

It's the inappropriate tinkling that gets me. He turns the dark Midnight Rambler into a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor Happy Birthday song.

been a long time since i've been to one of those but i know exactly what you mean.

maybe people wouldn't mind the warhorses as much if chuck's tinkling was eliminated.

someone should have taught him to tinkle in private.
he's a place keeper and uses the heart of the keyboard to keep the guitars on track and offer something for MJ to follow amid the cavalier guitar assault. Chuck is forced to be less musical, he's on the job, directing traffic. He was outstanding with EC and of course ABB. This is a unique role, counting off, leading the band quietly heavy handed.
a very polite but yet accurate description

Date: June 5, 2015 13:40

DoomandGloom
Vince got in the Dead because Jerry demanded it. He was his heroin buddy. I did jam with Vince once. I was blown away, he had ears and command of his instrument miles beyond most players I've experienced. The GD were a bad fit, the band knew the drug situation and hated him. Still the Bruce Hornsby , Vince combination played some tremendous shows. Is this the same ad Wood being Keith's buddy? Sort of but Wood has always been embraced.
i did know this and did not want to go there .also Vince has never been involved or invited to any of the dead reunions or spinoffs (the other ones, the dead,or Phil and friends or Ratdog)Vince was in the Tubes and played a really mean synth which was one of the things Jerry liked about him so much .i truly miss Brent Mydland , his voice , his skill playing the hammond B3 with the best of them , a high that has not been duplicated since his passing in the summer of 1990.Bruce Hornsby is a very good piano player who will be with the dead for the farewell shows but to me he is sorta like Keith Godchaux !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 13:46 by TheGreek.

Date: June 5, 2015 15:43

Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Vince got in the Dead because Jerry demanded it. He was his heroin buddy. I did jam with Vince once. I was blown away, he had ears and command of his instrument miles beyond most players I've experienced. The GD were a bad fit, the band knew the drug situation and hated him. Still the Bruce Hornsby , Vince combination played some tremendous shows. Is this the same ad Wood being Keith's buddy? Sort of but Wood has always been embraced.

Ahem....bullshit. I guess that's why Weir hired him to play with Rat Dog and Mickey Hart hired him to tour...all after Jerry died? Because they hated him?

The man obviously had his problems and eventually burned a few bridges but I seriously think you are selling the guy short. He may have become an eventual full fledged member at Jerry urging but I've no doubt musical considerations were a big part of his initial hiring and eventual membership. I believe no one would have survived in the Dead without the approval and support of all the other members. Jerry was a spiritual leader of sorts but he certainly wasn't the only voice in the business of the Dead from my experience.

peace
Weir stuck Vince in a cab when he od'd before a gig. They carried on with him to present more real members in the line up. He did not last long afterwards playing for them and his bitterness towards them was scathing. I don't know how Jerry forced Vince in but he did, he was a bizarre choice. Fans called him Casio Vince, he took the rejection to heart for his remaining days. In any case, you heard Vince with them, can you explain why he was there?

Damn, don't know the reason for the cab ride, perhaps they all had things to hide and didn't want to get involved, sounds pretty awful. But the thought of Jerry forcing anything on the other members of the Dead just doesn't sound probable. I don't know, of course, but I have seen them interact as a band, making decisions both musical and otherwise and I tend to believe it wasn't as simple as that. Besides, Jerry obviously wasn't around to "force" Weir and Hart from asking him to join their perspective bands so I also think the inference that they hated him is obviously misplaced.

I imagine the truth is that it became very difficult to be around the deeply depressed and suicidal person Vince became after Jerry's death and people drifted away in order to protect their own state of minds and distance themselves from what they came to look as a pretty serious liability. Sad story that didn't end well.

And to put in in perspective, it's not like any of the Stones were very anxious to be around Keith when he was in his throes of addiction. I recall a story where none of them dared to go up the stairs at Nellcote during long Keith absences for fear of what they might find. Of course Ronnie wasn't around at the time. grinning smiley

peace
Jerry was the big boss man of the Grateful Dead . it's that simple if he did not like something when they had there board meetings ,his displeasure would be noted by all of the group around him .he did not suffer anything he did not want to do . With Jerry it was not so much what he said it was his silence that spoke volumes of his displeasure with certain issues .he was not one to be pushed around by the others in the band .

Posted by: chiller99 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:28

Dig Denson

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 5, 2015 17:47

TheGreek
Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
DoomandGloom

Ahem....bullshit. I guess that's why Weir hired him to play with Rat Dog and Mickey Hart hired him to tour...all after Jerry died? Because they hated him?

The man obviously had his problems and eventually burned a few bridges but I seriously think you are selling the guy short. He may have become an eventual full fledged member at Jerry urging but I've no doubt musical considerations were a big part of his initial hiring and eventual membership. I believe no one would have survived in the Dead without the approval and support of all the other members. Jerry was a spiritual leader of sorts but he certainly wasn't the only voice in the business of the Dead from my experience.

peace
Weir stuck Vince in a cab when he od'd before a gig. They carried on with him to present more real members in the line up. He did not last long afterwards playing for them and his bitterness towards them was scathing. I don't know how Jerry forced Vince in but he did, he was a bizarre choice. Fans called him Casio Vince, he took the rejection to heart for his remaining days. In any case, you heard Vince with them, can you explain why he was there?

Damn, don't know the reason for the cab ride, perhaps they all had things to hide and didn't want to get involved, sounds pretty awful. But the thought of Jerry forcing anything on the other members of the Dead just doesn't sound probable. I don't know, of course, but I have seen them interact as a band, making decisions both musical and otherwise and I tend to believe it wasn't as simple as that. Besides, Jerry obviously wasn't around to "force" Weir and Hart from asking him to join their perspective bands so I also think the inference that they hated him is obviously misplaced.

I imagine the truth is that it became very difficult to be around the deeply depressed and suicidal person Vince became after Jerry's death and people drifted away in order to protect their own state of minds and distance themselves from what they came to look as a pretty serious liability. Sad story that didn't end well.

And to put in in perspective, it's not like any of the Stones were very anxious to be around Keith when he was in his throes of addiction. I recall a story where none of them dared to go up the stairs at Nellcote during long Keith absences for fear of what they might find. Of course Ronnie wasn't around at the time. grinning smiley

peace
Jerry was the big boss man of the Grateful Dead . it's that simple if he did not like something when they had there board meetings ,his displeasure would be noted by all of the group around him .he did not suffer anything he did not want to do . With Jerry it was not so much what he said it was his silence that spoke volumes of his displeasure with certain issues .he was not one to be pushed around by the others in the band .
this is not the place but someday I will sneak in the most hilarious Jerry story for ya.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: June 5, 2015 18:20

DoomandGloom
TheGreek
Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
DoomandGloom

peace

peace
this is not the place but someday I will sneak in the most hilarious Jerry story for ya.

Well...never meant to sidetrack this into a grateful dead discussion but would love to hear any inside stories...perhaps in a new OT thread smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 18:21

TheGreek
Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
DoomandGloom

peace

peace

We're going to count you as thumbs up on Karl Denson too. The polls are closing and we didn't want your vote to go uncounted.

Date: June 5, 2015 18:52

DoomandGloom
TheGreek
Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
DoomandGloom

peace

peace
i would most appreciate that !

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 5, 2015 20:00

Here's Karl Denson on Brown Sugar in Perth last year: not that far off Bobby Keys' solo:

- and here he is in Minneapolis: no longer trying to copy the original exactly but to make the thing more his own. I had Periscope going for this, half listening while looking for pictures on Twitter, and the end of the solo made me sit up and go WHAT? - in a good way.

(ignore the grey screen: this video does work)

I know you've all heard Brown Sugar 54382975483 times, but this is a good one: not sounding remotely tired or routine. Of course Bobby can't be replaced, but they need a new sax player and to my ears they've got a good one: it won't be the same, and that's why I want to hear him try Live with Me or whatever.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 20:23

TheBlockbuster
I very much liked Karl Denson's sax solo on Brown Sugar, I would also like to hear him play the solo on Live With Me.
I know the Bobby Keys sax solo on ''Brown Sugar'' note by note so well that I think it's refreshing to hear Denson modify it and he also varies the way he play from night to night. While the great Bobby Keys was alive and played with the Stones I sometimes suspected that he found it somewhat boring to always play the exact same solo. There's not really anything to complain about this about this time, even though I love all the complaining.

Most of us will miss Bobby Keys, not only due to his Stones history, but additionally, being one of the last living links to old time Rock & Roll. The man played with Buddy Holley. Not many of those guys left.

Re: Karl Denson is a Great Saxophonist, But…..
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:01

Ernie Watts did a very good job in 1981

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:18

Thanks to bv for editing the thread title to correct the spelling of this great musician's name. I know it was probably just a minor typo/mistake but since musicians are branded by their names, it's a matter of respect to get it right.

peace

Date: June 6, 2015 00:07

Here is a good outtake from E Watts

One of the best live Stones jams at all

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 6, 2015 00:20

I think they hit a home run with Mr. Denson and he spices his parts up very nicely. Bobby's loss is indeed felt but I think he'd approve.

Date: June 6, 2015 00:30

C Stainton instead of Chuck

Listen to the comments on 12:15 "Ian Stewart". Guess he was greatly recognized as a great boogie woogie piano player...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 00:43 by mtaylor.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:06

mtaylor

Who is on sax? Ernie Watts?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:36

triceratops
mtaylor

is there another E Watts? Elbert Watts? Egbert? Englebert Watts?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 6, 2015 17:17

Turner68
triceratops
mtaylor

EhWot Watts, innit?

Charles What (no relation!) on drums and Bill Why on bass

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 6, 2015 19:04

with sssoul
Turner68
triceratops
mtaylor

EhWot Watts, innit?

Watts on second

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 6, 2015 19:07

with sssoul

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home