Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is this tour too close on the heels of the last ?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:05

I'm going to see them 3 times in 6 days (well hopefully 3 times; MSG and Giants for sure, and Albany IF they confirm it), and I'm getting really excited. But in a way I've been given to wonder whether or not this tour doesn't follow a bit too quickly on the heels of the last. Part of the incredible excitement of a Stones show is the realisation that they're actually there in front of you, and that sensation I think is heightened according to how long they've been away - so to say. To me it seems as if the Licks tour ended almost too recently. And while I've been thinking about it, I'm also trying to imagine how the shows this time round are going to differ from what we got on the Licks tour. One very noticeable difference would already appear to be apparent, and that it doesn't look likely we'll be getting theatre shows. This does beg the question about setlists; namely what they're going to be like - and how much variation we can expect between shows.

Thoughts anyone ? What do you think we're going to get ?

Re: Is this tour too close on the heels of the last ?
Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:06

jumpin jack flash

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:06

it's par for the course, paulywaul. pretty much the same break they've since they got it back together in '89. i think they know what they're doing here - the box office records prove that.

Date: July 24, 2005 22:07

street fighting man

Date: July 24, 2005 22:07

sympathy for the devil

Date: July 24, 2005 22:08

brown sugar

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:19

They´re in their 60s. They cannot wait 5 years to do the next tour. It can´t be too long and one of the boys is dead. So it´s onwards onwards onwards.

Date: July 24, 2005 22:26

you cant always get what you want

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 24, 2005 23:05

They're trying to get back to the once every three years schedule they were on in the 70s. Thing is, when you're a teenager, as I was then, three years ago seems like another lifetime. When you're in your 40s, as I am now, three years ago seems like last week.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 24, 2005 23:06

Same set-list

Slightly different stage

Slightly worse performance

Same sound quality

Much higher ticket prices

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: July 24, 2005 23:13

Mick Jagger is still a great singer. I just wish I could say the same about Bob Dylan, but he's unfortunately well past his prime.

Date: July 24, 2005 23:56

I just had a thought. Lisa, Chuck, Blondie etc are also getting older and older each tour. They need some young blood out there on stage with them....but that would clutter up the set.

Maybe Chuck already has an assistant covering up on keyboard for him behind the curtains. :-)

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 25, 2005 00:26

I agree, pauly, that to us Europaeans it does just seem like yesterday.

So, what you ought to do is wait till next year!

Date: July 25, 2005 00:45

Why do people believe the set list will be the same as the Licks tour other than the new songs?They have never repeated a set list from the past tours on any later tour : '89/'90 was different than '81/'82,'94/'95 was different than '89/'90, '97/'98 was different than '94/'95, '99 U.S. was different than '97/'98, '02/'03 was different than '99 etc..Look at the facts.Look at how many different songs they have performed on stage.Sympathy For The Devil was replaced & not played more than once in '81/'82 & not played at all in August,September or early October '94; You Can't Always Get What You Want was replaced & not played at all in '94,only played in Mexico in '95 and not played at all in '99; Street Fighting Man was not played very much in '81,not at all in '82,'89,'97,only twice in '98,not at all in '99 U.S. tour.I know they always play JJF,BS,TD,HTW but hey maybe it's TD or HTW turn for a break.I also know there are other songs like Gimme Shelter that they play frequently but,these songs make up less than half the set list.Jagger stated in the press conference that they,in addition to new material,would play songs they haven't done for a long time,a couple of covers, & songs they have never done before live and\or on stage.So,basically what you are saying is either you don't know what you're talking about or Jagger was lying at the press conference.Some of these songs probably will be played but they won't constitute more than half of the set list.There are way too many glass half empty people on this board.Keep looking at everything from that point of view.I haven't seen any evidence of their live performance worsening,actually I believe it has been steadily improving with experience at least since '89 for the most part.All the negativity around this place blows.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 25, 2005 01:27

Paul! It's Logie here!

I lost your e-mail so send it me again please!

Alas I won't be joining you in New York as I'm running the marathon instead and can't really afford the two trips.

Stop moaning! It will be fantastic!!!!! You lucky bugger!!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 25, 2005 01:33

One Hit

Date: July 25, 2005 01:37

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 25, 2005 01:40

69,72,75,81....2002,2005......seems just right.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 25, 2005 01:48

Didn't I just see them on Jan 18, 2003, for the HBO event at MSG?? Not that I'm complaining! And I thought that Bjornulf said that IF they were to add Albany, it would be between Jan and Feb??

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 25, 2005 02:06

Boooah!

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 25, 2005 02:46

I think I hate to say it is there age and Charlie was ill

any moment we could lose one

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 25, 2005 03:06

I thought the No Security tour was way to close to the heels of BTB tour but that ended up being awesome.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 25, 2005 04:19

Is it too close on the heels of the last tour? No, because they have always had a 3 yr rotation ('66, '69, '72, '75, '78, '81) then the bickering, solo careers and Charlie's drug problem set in. When all was resolved it was back to the same formula ('89, '94, '97, '99, '02,and now '05).

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: July 25, 2005 06:17

Tell it like it is Theif in the night!

The more the better as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: July 25, 2005 12:33

I still believe that this will be the last major tour covering a lot of cities and continents. As said before time will be limited and running around the stage will be more exhausting every time Mick goes out there.
Licks Tour was something special and On Stage will be something different.
Take it or leave it, but when you leave it it might have been the last chance.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 25, 2005 15:00

The thing is, Mick doesn't HAVE TO run all over like a track star and IF they decided to keep touring, which I'd LOVE, they could move less and conserve the energy for a LONGER SHOW!

Date: July 25, 2005 16:21

perhaps concentrate on the music ?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: July 25, 2005 16:40

'It can´t be too long and one of the boys is dead'..... some people on here are in serious need of prozac! New album, new tour et all and were on about one carking it! Amazing....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home