Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones and their faithfull critics
Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: July 24, 2005 14:52

I was reading stones LP reviews from their "Golden Period" late 60 early 70.
Poor Stones!!! Duaring all those 43 years there is allways a chorus of critics to tell them that they have "lost their previous magic in song writing".
Here is a link to Sticky Fingers review by Jon Landau from the June 1971 Rolling Stone issue.

[www.rollingstone.com]

and here are my favorite quotes:

As I listened to "Sticky Fingers," for the first time I thought "Brown Sugar" was good, but not that good. I certainly hoped it wasn't the best thing on the album. As it turns out, there are a few moments that surpass it but it still sets the tone for the album perfectly: middle-level Rolling Stones competence.

"Sway:" Vaguely reminiscent of "Stray Cat Blues" but not nearly so powerful.

"Wild Horses:" A good song with lots of good things in it that doesn't quite come off.

"I've Got the Blues:" In the tradition of the earlier R&B Imitations ... It's good as far as it goes, but lacks the feeling of the earlier imitations. It all seems pro forma.

"Sister Morphine:" I find it lyrically convincing, but labored to the point of being unlistenable musically. Perhaps that is part of the conception: obviously, a song about morphine should not be pleasant to hear.

"Moonlight Mile:" From "Brown Sugar" we had to wait all the way to here to get a masterpiece.

If Sticky Fingers suffers from any one thing it's its own self-defeating calculating nature. Its moments of openness and feeling are too few: its moments where I know I should be enjoying it but am not

Re: Stones and their faithfull critics
Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 15:05

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home