Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Iggy Pop
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 07:39

There are some Iggy fans here, so let's talk about the good and the bad. I have all of the Stooges' albums, that is, actual LPs- I also have both "Fun House" and the infamous overmodulated re-mix of "Raw Power" on CD, plus the bootleg of the old Stooges'(with James Williamson) last live performance, and some of the solo stuff.

Am I wrong or did Iggy just say "screw it" and turn everything up to 11 on the "Raw Power" remix? Wanna blow up your stereo speakers? Well, put this sucker in and crank it up.

Iggy's solo career had its ups and downs, with a few memorable tracks.

Fast forwarding to 2004, the Ig reunited with the Asheton brothers and a new bass player for a tour as the original Stooges.

Here's a question: if he isn't already , should Iggy Pop (nee James Osterberg) be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? My response is a resounding "yes".

Re: OT: Iggy Pop
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 24, 2005 07:52

Saw him in 81 before Carlos and the Boys in Deetroit. Lots of stuff went on the stage. I though he was pretty good. I DID NOT throw my shoes on stage like everyone else did.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 24, 2005 08:06

Absolutely! Now, to be more precise, should the Stooges? After all, Ig's best work is those first 3 Stooges classics, and the killer single ('71) 'I Got A Right'/'Gimme Some Skin' I first heard the Elektra albums on dull euro reissues circa '78 (they were OP by the time I was innarested, say '74) and I bought the Sundazed 180g vinyl remasters from a couple years back - outstanding, sonically speaking & you get the Funhouse gatefold (unlike domestic cheapie reissue from the 80s). As for Raw Power, I for one cant understand why they could not include the original Bowie mix AND the Ig's redo on the Legacy cd, it would be well under 80 minutes and I LIKE the Bowie version, plus historical authenticity. Afterall, the same folks have given us padded doubles of various Columbia classics (usually after first issuing a fairly recent upgraded/expanded single cd, like 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo' or 'Santana', just to make life difficult) Solo-wise, I love The Idiot and most of Lust For Life, even the boot-quality throwaway live 3rd Bowie/RCA collab, 'TV Eye' - the Arista stuff is pretty strong, especially w/the bonus tracks, even like the 'bubblegum' 'Party' album. Then his rather indulgent 'Zombie Birdhouse' - some excess but most of it has a certain power, & its neglected. Blah Blah Blah was a letdown, reunion w/ Bowie and all, bland. Instinct (Steve Jones on guitar) is a good hard rock record, well produced. After that his catalog imo gets problematic - Brick by Brick had some good cuts, but was way too long & now feels dated. Since then, well I bought I think 2 more and played them once or twice, he seemed to have lost something (tho still good live), & I havent heard the last one w/ a couple Stooges-as-guest tracks.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 08:15

Check out this great feature on NPR:

[www.npr.org]

This is a great interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-24 08:22 by bassplayer617.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 15:04

Funny you guys dont mention Kill City , this is definately the most Stones influenced album released by Iggy. If i'm not mistaken Jimmy Reed himself put up the money for the sessions!

I really like the Arista years especially Soldier and New Values.

Iggy's remix of Raw Power was a good idea to show young metalheads how its really done, but the original mix still sounds beetter to me.

The last album is godawful the wort thing by far he ever released, but yes he's still great live, although i'm looking forward to the day he releases an album called "Iggy sings Sinatra"

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: July 24, 2005 16:05

If you believe that the Hall of Fame has any validity, which I'm not sure I do, my God yes, he does! I saw the second show that the reunited Stooges played. It was the greatest concert I've ever seen. Raw Power is my desert island disc - the most ferocious album ever made, and his solo work while spotty, is no more so than many other inductees as their careers stretched on.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 24, 2005 18:28

1. Yes Iggy absolutely belongs in the HOF, although like Spikey I don't find the HOF to be a particularly valid measure of RnR validity. Despite the fact that Lou Reed is often given the title, I think Iggy is the "Godfather of Punk".

2. I thought the Raw Power re-mix was long overdue. Made a major improvement to an all-time classic. Hard to Beat may be the greatest rock song ever.

3. I saw the Ig in 2001. I simply could not believe the energy and wild intensity he put out. He is as devoted to the spirit of RnR as anyone around.

4. The new box set, just released, is a dam good sampler for the uninitiated.

Karl

Posted by: macdaddy ()
Date: July 24, 2005 18:46

>>> Fast forwarding to 2004, the Ig reunited with the Asheton brothers and a new bass player for a tour as the original Stooges.

that "new bass player" is the legendary mike watt!

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 19:24

Iggy & The Stooges RULE!

I have all the albums and I should have my copy of 'Heavy Liquid' (box set) tomorrow.

It goes without saying that Iggy should be in the R&RHOF.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: July 24, 2005 20:11

One of my favorite live acts...Iggy's the tits!

BTW: The Sex Pistols aren't in the RnR HOF either...the whole thing is a joke...look at some of the boobs that are in there.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 24, 2005 20:29

for the two Stooges albums alone. Iggy (and the others) should be in the RRHF without a doubt

there are very few rock n roll albums that can match those pair

and i'm off to see em perform Funhouse in London next month. wwwooooo!

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:48

Saw the first Stooges reunion show at Coachella two years ago and it was everything I could have hoped for-near the end of the set I was thinking,"Now if they'd just bring Steven Mckay(original saxophone player on Funhouse)out and do Funhouse".Well,what do you think happened next.I know reunion gigs can be questionable,but if you get a chance,the Stooges are absolutely worth seeing.I got the Heavy Liquid box set last week and it,too,is awesome.Lots of completely unreleased stuff and it was occuring to me quite a bit that during the James Williamson Raw Power years(which is what this box covers)they really were the American Stones('specially the live stuff w/ Scott Thurston on piano).

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:57

Sure , why not.

Ig was a real original. Great stage act (his dancing is crazy!), great voice, great songs and he influenced many. And he's a great personality with a lot of class. I've never heard him say anything stupid or insulting or anything that would make him look like an ass like a lot of other idiot "rock stars" tend to do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home