Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sticky Fingers set?
Posted by: illyad ()
Date: May 31, 2015 15:29

After looking over the tours first shows I would like to know what happened to the "Sticky Fingers" set that was so anticipated? I was left with the impression that the band would be doing the entire LP. W/O the Sticky fingers set, without Mick Taylor and without the late Bobby Keys, this tour looks less and less inviting. I am also getting the impression the whole "Sticky Fingers" PR blitz is for selling another product the Stones fan already has and to give the impression of an entire SF set to increase ticket sales. Very Disappointing.

Re: Sticky Fingers set?
Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 31, 2015 15:40

yes very disappointing since Mick actually said they would play the one's they don't normally do.....last nights show was top notch.....but only doing b***h and WH is unacceptable (these are common....and they were fantastic).....but after Mick made these comments we expected more

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 31, 2015 15:41

Lol yup. It was all of that. Sad you are just finding it out, but it was completely for their own self gain and the only good thing to come out of all of it was the full album performance at the Fonda Theater. Everything else is exactly what the Stones of the last 20 years would do. I'm actually shocked how far they regressed and so quickly, from the 50th Anniversary tour, which for an honorable band would have been the farewell.

Date: May 31, 2015 15:44

Well.....the show last night was great......but Mick lied.....just like Keith lied in 2013 about the "3 guitar sound"

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 15:45

No one, from the Stones, ever said they were going to play the entire SF album. MJ said they would see how rehearsals go. They then played a SPECIAL SF show at Fonda, which was professionally recorded. If you go to a stadium show and expect anything but the similar set lists they are playing now you will be disappointed.

You, however will never be disappointed with the performance of a live Stones show.

Date: May 31, 2015 15:47

onlystones
No one, from the Stones, ever said they were going to play the entire SF album. MJ said they would see how rehearsals go. They then played a SPECIAL SF show at Fonda, which was professionally recorded. If you go to a stadium show and expect anything but the similar set lists they are playing now you will be disappointed.

You, however will never be disappointed with the performance of a live Stones show.

I have never been disappointed in my 46 shows....but Mick said they would play the ones they don't usually do

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 31, 2015 15:47

RollingFreak
exactly what the Stones of the last 20 years would do.

Actually the Licks-tour had very varied setlists.

Here's Cleveland 2002, which was an arena show.

Street Fighting Man
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Live With Me
Sweet Virginia
Loving Cup
All Down the Line
Rocks Off
Tumbling Dice
Slipping Away
Before They Make Me Run
Start Me Up
I Can't Turn You Loose
Honky Tonk Women
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Stray Cat Blues
Like a Rolling Stone
Brown Sugar
Encore:
Midnight Rambler
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 15:49 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 31, 2015 15:49

It is not lies it is PR . . . selling tickets. When tickets went on sale, they were thinking about the full album or a SF mini set. Then they decided not to. That's all.

And I think the "ones we don't usually do" could have been interpreted to mean cities, not songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 15:50 by Rokyfan.

Date: May 31, 2015 15:51

Mick Jagger...."Maybe, yeah, or at least playing the ones we don't normally play."

He says "At least" that means at minimum....I still love him though...and have 2 more shows for You Gotta Move or I Got The Blues

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:08

Rokyfan

And I think the "ones we don't usually do" could have been interpreted to mean cities, not songs.

That's hilarious - talk about spin. In Micks's mind that might make sens though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 18:13 by JTHanis.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:11

how have ticket sales been? is it possible that they felt that the talk of sticky fingers was hurting sales with the casual fans (who make up the bulk of concert goers), and so they should go back to a more warhorse-centered set list?

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:18

illyad
After looking over the tours first shows I would like to know what happened to the "Sticky Fingers" set that was so anticipated? I was left with the impression that the band would be doing the entire LP. W/O the Sticky fingers set, without Mick Taylor and without the late Bobby Keys, this tour looks less and less inviting. I am also getting the impression the whole "Sticky Fingers" PR blitz is for selling another product the Stones fan already has and to give the impression of an entire SF set to increase ticket sales. Very Disappointing.

I agree, you are right, this sticky fingers set was recording for next merchandising, all is good to make money! They need this money, not for themselves now but for their family who used to live only with parents bank accounts, and not from their own work!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:18

Turner68
how have ticket sales been? is it possible that they felt that the talk of sticky fingers was hurting sales with the casual fans (who make up the bulk of concert goers), and so they should go back to a more warhorse-centered set list?
LOL. Just... LOL. That would be Mick Jagger's wet dream that "oh man, fans aren't coming cause we're going too deep! We have to play all the hits and just the hits! I don't want to do it, but we have to!"

No. Just, no. Ticket sales are irrelevant in regards to the Stones. Casual fans are going no matter what. The only ones that make their decisions based on the PR and the talks about what the actual tour is gonna be are hardcores, and they'd only be turning off those people for not playing Sticky Fingers like they said.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:06

Which covers do the Stones still play, or in the last decade?

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:24

Like I said in the other thread about this:

Totally agree, this is no setlist for a tour called Zip Code and the Sticky Fingers release coming, this is a 14 On Fire setlist:

Jumping Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Let's Spend The Night Together
Tumbling Dice
Doom & Gloom
Bitch
Wild Horses
--- Hang On Sloopy (bit with crowd sing-a-long)
Paint It Black (by request)
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Gimme Shelter
Start Me Up
Sympathy For The Devil
Brown Sugar
--- Band off stage
You Can't Always Get What You Want (with choir)
Satisfaction

Date: May 31, 2015 20:11

TravelinMan

off the top of my head in the last decade

Night Time Is The Right Time
I'll Go Crazy
Mr. Pitiful
Get Up Stand Up
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Just My Imagination
Under The Boardwalk
Around And Around
Who Do You Love
I Wanna Be Your Man
Going Down
Champagne And Reefer

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 31, 2015 20:13

Six Days on the Road.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 31, 2015 20:15

mjmjr
TravelinMan

off the top of my head in the last decade

Night Time Is The Right Time
I'll Go Crazy
Mr. Pitiful
Get Up Stand Up
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Just My Imagination
Under The Boardwalk
Around And Around
Who Do You Love
I Wanna Be Your Man
Going Down
Champagne And Reefer

Like a Rolling Stone (Thanks, Bob!)
Hang on Sloopy

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 31, 2015 20:26

Bob Wills and Learning The Game too

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 31, 2015 21:03

Thanks guys! Gonna youtube those!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2015 21:11

Wichta lineman

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 31, 2015 21:29

The Stones are masters of remarketting. In the early 60s they took the US blues and repackaged it for their UK white audience.

Now they are doing the same to their historic work to again achieve accolades and (lots of) cash. A market (it seems) eager to consume their offerings.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2015 21:38

Mick tried MMile in San Diego. Apparently he didn't like the crowd (lack of) reaction otherwise he would have tried it again in Columbus.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 31, 2015 21:59

dcba
Mick tried MMile in San Diego. Apparently he didn't like the crowd (lack of) reaction otherwise he would have tried it again in Columbus.

Just for clarification- is this your interpretation/speculation, or has MJ said as such?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:02

I believe we will see Moonlight Mile back in the set soon, or else the Wall Street Journal story wouldn't make much sense.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:18

mjmjr
Well.....the show last night was great......but Mick lied.....just like Keith lied in 2013 about the "3 guitar sound"

...and this is exactly what has irritated me so far. I am hoping that the Columbus gig was a fluke. I read and heard the pre-tour press/hype whether it was in Rolling Stone magazine or radio interviews-whatever, but Mick J. gave people the impression that they would be showcasing (less often) played Sticky Fingers tunes. Otherwise, they should just call this tour 50th Reunion- the Sequel. I don't dig this bait and switch BS. They did the same thing with bringing Mick Taylor back and leaving long-time fans with the impression that he was going to have a bigger role than he did. For the kind of money we are asked to pay for a re-tread of essentially what they offered American audiences two years ago (less 2-3 songs) sucks in my opinion.

Date: May 31, 2015 22:31

mjmjr
onlystones

I have never been disappointed in my 46 shows....but Mick said they would play the ones they don't usually do

He also stated that they would play AT LEAST ONE song that they have never played before ..... maybe a couple. That's in addition to playing 'Sticky Fingers' trackS which they don't usually play.

So,basically,he is a nonsense artist telling tall tales to increase his ticket sales and profits.

He could technically validate his claims by playing as few as 3 songs different from the May 30th concert but,apparently that is too much trouble.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:32

donvis
Six Days on the Road.

thumbs up
That was a great performance with Taj Mahal!

Still waiting for an official DVD with this and Respectable with John Mayer, Going Down with Gary Clarke jr. and other highlights from 50 & Counting.

This ZIP CODE tour is a step back if they continue to play the Columbus setlist.

2006, oct 20: Laso from El Paso.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home