Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Paul McCartney at the O2
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 16:52

My mate and I were sat in Block 101 for the Saturday performance, practically on the stage. I loved every minute of it and he cooked with gas all through it. Can't wait for the Stones to bring it on home now next year spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:03

Enjoy the show. By the way I once visited Swindon. Pretty cool town. I remember a pub called the Glue Pot. Nice cask ales in there. Talked to a couple fellow rockers in a different pub. One guy played in a skiffle band in the oldest/ most popular pub in town. Don't remember the name though. I'm going to both Macca concerts in Amsterdam. Really looking forward to see him play Another Girl, and hopefully One After 909. For the first gig I went all out and bought the sound check deal. Other than doing the onstage deal for ABB tour, this is a first for me.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 26, 2015 20:04

'Twas at Macca's Sunday nite O2 show, in Floor block B2 Row D, which is the furthest back I've sat at an arena show for a longggggg time. Serves me right for turning my nose up at a Floor Block A3 Row R ticket on the Macca website when they first went on presale. If you are going to a Macca show in future the presale ticket allocation on his website is really good.

Fabulous show and my third time seeing him. His band are simply superative, Rusty Anderson, lead guitarist nails every single riff and solo with jaw-dropping aplomb. Just hearing him play is worth the admmission price in itself. The setlist was to die for with the except of a meagre few songs. Think Macca's voice was leaning to strained after two consecutive shows, but he still hit most of the notes. He is the consummate performer and entertainer. Consistently doing 2.5 to 3 hour shows at his age puts him in a league of his own. The Abbey Road segue at the crescendo takes some beating, even after Live and Let Die and Hey Jude towards the final furlong.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 21:10

SonicDreamer, I was absolutely bowled over by what I witnessed on Sunday night at the O2. His stamina really does put him in a league of his own. He has no Keith to carry the load for a couple of songs either. Can't wait for tomorrow night, ticket bought late last night.

it's a top category front lower side seat. I was round at my parents when I bought online with my mother moaning at me that I had more money than sense and I should buy a new carpet for my place.

I told her that carpets can't play music winking smiley

And Frankotero, sadly I have to report that Swindon has gone rather downhill in the last few years sad smiley Luckily for me I live in a village nearby and only work there. I know where the Glue Pot is but don't think I've ever been in it. I can think of s few candidates for your other pub.

I think those Ziggo shows will be the ones to be at. Floor General Admission with no front of stage. The atmosphere will be fabulous. Wish I was going. GA tickets seem to be freely available on the secondary market for around 110 eur. I suppose I could fly from Bristol and still be at work at lunchtime the next day winking smiley

Date: May 26, 2015 21:34

Yep, I'm betting on decent tickets for the second night. Going to get them there. Shouldn't be too hard I think. Can't you take the chunnel. or is flying cheaper? That's too bad about Swindon going downhill. I was there around 2004.

Date: May 26, 2015 21:46

Flying is much cheaper and easier. Easy jet do 2 flights daily each way from Bristol. I think you'll have no difficulty whatsoever in picking up good tickets on the night. just usual prep : a stage floor plan and a high res colour photocopy of a ticket so that you don't get sold a poor ticket, or worse still, a dud.

I paid £144 altogether for Birminghsm tomorrow night and someone on the official Macca message board can't find a buyer for a ticket 3 seats away from mine even though it's now on offer at half price :

[maccaboard.paulmccartney.com]

So if there is someone on here who can get to Birmingham at short notice and likes Macca/The Beatles as well as the Stones, there's a bargain to be had. excellent seat it is too ! Wish I'd waited 24 hours as I would have taken it sad smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 28, 2015 15:26

Hope you enjoyed the show Wednesday Gregor.

Seen this video of Dave Grohl at Saturday O2 show.

Looks like he enjoyed himself there.

Date: May 28, 2015 16:28

Another, brilliant show last night with a good responsive audience. No regrets at all about seeing Macca 3 days apart either. Lots of audience interaction from him and the 25 Beatles songs he played closely replicated the original recordings. His backing band are excellent, most notably the brilliant Rusty Anderson on guitar and his keyboard player of 25 years Paul Wickens.

However, I didn't get home until 5am ! I struggled to find the venue (the NIA) as most locals I asked didn't even know where it was! After a stressful drive from Swindon and long walk through Birmingham, I sat in my seat 10 mins before he came on! I also got lost after the show as the city has few obvious landmarks in the dark and some not-the-best signposting. Brummies, please feel free to enlighten me.

All well worth it though smiling smiley I'm strongly considering the Oslo show (at the Telenor) on 7 July as part of a Summer holiday/tour of Scandinavia.

In all my years of following the Stones around Europe, this is the hardest I've ever had to work to find a concert venue!

For any iorrians with a soft spot for Macca/the Beatles and can get to Marseille at short notice, his show next Friday, June 5th is selling very slowly and good FoS GA ticket can be had for under 50 EUR on the usual secondary sites - a bargain.

Strange how Macca, even with all that talent and 40 song sets, fills arenas yet can't really fill stadiums like the Stones can. His tickets are a lot cheaper too! The answer has to be, to some degree that the Stones are still an original GROUP, albeit with lineup changes. They also have far more presence and somehow generate much more audience excitement than Macca. However, as someone previously said, you can't compare them as completely different. However, it's great to have them both around smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2015 20:24

grzegorz67- I agree with you on how unusual he keeps things on a smaller scale with cheaper tickets. Plus just read Macca re-arranged his FOS area for tonight's Liverpool concert which made dozens of Golden Circle tickets available. By doing this late in the game scalpers didn't get a chance to control these tickets. This is a fan-friendly idea.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: May 28, 2015 21:50

McCartney has played stadium shows over the years. Paris. Also, done a number of large outdoor concerts.

Date: May 28, 2015 23:02

I know he's done SOME stadiums. And 4 in Europe this year. But he doesn't routinely do them as the stones do.

Frankotero, that is indeed a nice fan friendly touch. Given his massive wealth, he's clearly doing it all for enjoyment. His tickets,while not cheap are not out and from that he'll have to pay his backing band, all of whom are top drawer and won't come cheap. While lost in Birmingham last night I saw his stage wagons going past, both of them ! He was packed up and gone in under 2 hours! He uses the same company as the Stones, a British outfit. Their trucks are very distinctive as they have UK plate but are left hand drive.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 28, 2015 23:14

THing with Macca is, he literally can pull out any song from the back catalogue of the Beatles, Wings and 50's Rock n ROll and whatever it is he will do it justice. It should be added that his band are brilliant musicians and very versatile.

We know with the Stones pretty much what we will get for four fifths of the set and there are many songs we know we'll never hear, so without doubt it's more predictable...but I'd still always pick a Stones gig over a Macca gig...it's in the blood and admittedly I've only seen macca once and the Stones many many times, I always feel in the presence of true rock legends with the Stones, Macca is a different vibe altogether.

Date: May 28, 2015 23:23

Good post cm. While Macca is clearly a much more versatile musician, for some reason I can't put my finger on, the Stones just seem to generate more excitement at their gigs and have more of an edge and presence to them. Keith & Ronnie, while not technically gifted just somehow hit the spot with their weaving and rougher sound.I think we can safely say that Mick is the definitive rock frontman and is probably peerless.

And in the drumming department, I'd pick Charlie over Ringo any day of the week winking smiley

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: May 29, 2015 01:49

Wow, I was worried when I clicked on this thread. I seem to recall looking at a McCartney thread on a Stones forum somewhere a few years back and it being REALLY negative. So, I'm very surprised and happy to see a positive thread here.

I love Paul McCartney. He may be my single favorite musical artist, and I'm not even that big a Beatles fan. I love McCartney's crazy, weird stuff the most. B sides and deeper cuts. When he gets experimental or when he finds a simple, dirty groove and just works the hell out of it. And his last few solo albums have been really good and very interesting. "New", "Memory Almost Full", and "Flaming Pie" are all quite rewarding. And his drummer is awesome!

McCartney's a lot like the Stones in that they genuinely enjoy performing in front of a crowd. Music and performing music are really a wellspring of happiness and energy for them.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: May 29, 2015 04:19

I prefer Macca's VIP packages to the Stones, any day of the week. The top couple of tiers include a soundcheck -- and not the 30-minute half-hearted rehearsal with arguments that you get with The Who, but 45- to 60-minute semi-private mini concerts with deep cuts and fun covers.

I paid $1800 a seat for a Stones VIP package on this tour, and aside from a ticket location to die for, all I got was this crumby tee-shirt (actually, not even that, yet).smoking smiley

I'd love to see the Stones step up to the plate and offer a VIP package with teeth (like a soundcheck or even a meet-and-greet). Count me in on any package that includes a soundcheck.

Date: May 29, 2015 13:37

jahisnotdead
Wow, I was worried when I clicked on this thread. I seem to recall looking at a McCartney thread on a Stones forum somewhere a few years back and it being REALLY negative. So, I'm very surprised and happy to see a positive thread here.

I love Paul McCartney. He may be my single favorite musical artist, and I'm not even that big a Beatles fan. I love McCartney's crazy, weird stuff the most. B sides and deeper cuts. When he gets experimental or when he finds a simple, dirty groove and just works the hell out of it. And his last few solo albums have been really good and very interesting. "New", "Memory Almost Full", and "Flaming Pie" are all quite rewarding. And his drummer is awesome!

McCartney's a lot like the Stones in that they genuinely enjoy performing in front of a crowd. Music and performing music are really a wellspring of happiness and energy for them.

Being alive and being a Stones fan is great. Being a McCartney fan on top of that makes life even better. If you can like both (like I do) then great. It's a shame that some have to be bitter about one or other.

Date: May 29, 2015 19:50

With you there Mr TW. A lot of people like them both. And Paul and Mick are certainly on friendly terms. The Musical World is a better place for both their efforts smileys with beer

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 20:01 by grzegorz67.

Date: May 29, 2015 22:55

Beatles And Stones. Been that way since 1980 for me. I don't get all the hatred either, though I suspect some people believe you must choose one side. That's my guess. Anyhow, nice to share the same likes with some people. Cheers.smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 29, 2015 23:00

Yup for years I have been posting on this board. I love both the Stones and The Beatles... and really listen to both all the time! What a rich tapestry of great music from both bands. So much good stuff to delve into.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2015 23:36

<<in the drumming department, I'd pick Charlie over Ringo any day of the week>>

However, Charlie is a jazz drummer who plays rock drums the way he thinks they should be played, while Ringo is a rock drummer who plays rock drums the way he feels they should be played.

Date: May 30, 2015 01:54

I imagine there are a fair few fans of both on this board and probably many people were fans of both in the 60s. The either/or thing to a large degree was invented by the press. There's no doubt the bands influenced one another too.

I definitely want to do a continental European show with Oslo or Stockholm in July in my sights. I was at the Stones gigs in both cities last year! And he's using the same stadia as they did.

Next up it's The slow selling Marseille show followed by the double at the Ziggo. What's the Ziggo like as a venue - does it get hot inside ? With it being GA on the floor it should be fun.

Date: May 30, 2015 09:13

frankotero
Beatles And Stones. Been that way since 1980 for me. I don't get all the hatred either, though I suspect some people believe you must choose one side. That's my guess. Anyhow, nice to share the same likes with some people. Cheers.smiling smiley

Honestly I can't put one above the other. Being able to enjoy both is a massive blessing.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 09:50

I will see him twice the next week. Reading all those excited reviews makes me really happy. Funny is, how people here like Paul's setlists and would like The Stones to take lesson from that. On Paul's forum people complain a lot about the setlists and how he doesn't rotate songs enough :-) But yea, on PM forum too his recent concerts get absolutely perfect reviews. So I can't wait really.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 30, 2015 13:30

grzegorz67

I told her that carpets can't play music winking smiley

>grinning smiley<spinning smiley sticking its tongue outtongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 8, 2015 10:20

Didn't want to read this thread to avoid any spoilers (it turns out there weren't any) as I was going to Marseille and wanted to be "surprised". Great show, great vibe and some very ballsy choices, like "Temporary Secretary" as if the Stones played "Too Tough" * , hehe...

Another "ballsy" choice is that Macca seems to be willing to leave everything on the table at each show especially his voice. With belters like "Maybe I'm Amazed" he's really not "pacing" it like Mick would do (no more "Shine a Light" for instance) and it took him a couple of songs to recover after that, "I've Just Seen a Face" that followed was a bit difficult. There is a bit of that "show must go on" feeling, no compromises, he'll do it until he drops on his own terms, come what may.

Good points on the "excitement" factor, yes there is something "different" about the Stones, it would be silly to talk about "danger" at this point as they both are family friendly but there is something indeed, probably the original tone of the songs actually.

Why he couldn't sell out Marseille (38,000 out of 57,000 but the "tarping" was well done and it seemed pretty full) at these reasonable prices is a mystery when dudes like ACDC can sell out two "Stade de France"...must come down to marketing/hipness I suppose, but how many times can you get to see a friggin' Beatle who's firing on all cylinders with a fantastic band? I'm taking my family (old and young) to the Paris show on Thursday!

PS - there's a good recording of Marseille on Dime, I put it here on Mega : [mega.co.nz]

* Listen to the intro Mick, no "lights" (i.e. "blank stares") but he doesn't care ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 11:38 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 8, 2015 11:59

gotdablouse
like "Temporary Secretary" as if the Stones played "Too Tough" * , hehe...

Not really. Temporary Secretary has become a cult favorite in recent years. There's even a remix played to death at parties or dancings.

Rightfully so, I'll defend McCartney II 'til I drop. I was delighted he played that song the first time ever in the o2, the day after my birthday... from an album released on the day I was born.

I'm quite sure it was a birthday present. Thanks Macca!

Date: June 8, 2015 13:19

I think my brother and I (then 13!) went halfers to buy McCartney II for my dad's birthday the year it was released. My dad certainly has it on vinyl.

I'm touring the 4 Scandinavian capitals in July for my holiday and I just happen to be passing through the 3 cities he's playing at the right time winking smiley I'm certainly going to try to attend at least one of these shows - by picking up a spare ticket outside on the day.

I was at the Stones shows in Oslo & Stockholm last year, my 1st ever visits to Scandinavia and I loved it (despite the expense, especially Oslo) and so I am making an early return. Macca's playing Roskilde, the Telenor & the Tele2, the very same 3 venues as the Stones last year. There were people picking up tickets outside the Telenor easily on the day - I know Crawdaddy had a bit of bother selling his spare lucky dip ticket ! And he has an excellent record as a Lucky Dipper smiling smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 11, 2015 17:32

Macca at the Stade de France tonight, is everybody ready ?!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 11, 2015 17:40

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I saw Macca once, and it was amazing. He's a fantastic showman, and he gives you what you pay for. Wish the Stones would use him as a touring role model!

No, I don´t want to see a 30+ song set. 2 hours is enough.
I paid 500 € on ebay for Waldbühne last year and I got what I paid for!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 19:05

Well I for one love to see a long concert! Especially, when paying high premiums. I am seeing the Stones twice this summer, but their short and predictable set lists devoid of a big chunk of Sticky Fingers are so disappointing.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home