Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Sales of the Stones
Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:31

I believe I have a correction to make as the OP. I stated that Hot Rocks, being a double album, gets credit twice from the RIAA in the U.S. so it's actual sales is about the same as Some Girls. However, I could be wrong. Hot Rocks may have actually sold 12 million (Not 6 million) and isn't getting credit as a double because it's running time is below 100 minutes. I'm a bit lost because Wikipedia lists it's certification as 12 times platinum and 12 million sold. Whereas with the double albums of The White Album and Physical Graffiti, they are certified at 19 and 16 times platinum but showing US sales of 10 and 8 million, therefore receiving double certification credit. Still, both those albums are also less than 100 minutes in length. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the price. Hot Rocks has always been marketed around the price of a single album. Therefore, it's actual sales, I believe, are more clearly reflected. The White Album and Physical Graffiti, have always been priced as double albums. I've also read that if you were released during the vinyl era, that the running time doesn't matter, a double album receives double certification. And only in the cd era, does the running time determine whether or not a multi disc sets receives double certification. More confusing is that Elvis live Aloha From Hawaii album has sold 5 million but doesn't receive double certification as a double album because it's running time is way low or maybe also, because it was never priced as a double album. So I'm not sure if in the US Hot Rocks has sold 12 million or just certified at 12 times platinum with 6 million sold. But according to Wikipedia it's actually sold 12 million in the US, which wouldn't be surprising.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:34

pricepittsburgh
I believe I have a correction to make as the OP. I stated that Hot Rocks, being a double album, gets credit twice from the RIAA in the U.S. so it's actual sales is about the same as Some Girls. However, I could be wrong. Hot Rocks may have actually sold 12 million (Not 6 million) and isn't getting credit as a double because it's running time is below 100 minutes. I'm a bit lost because Wikipedia lists it's certification as 12 times platinum and 12 million sold. Whereas with the double albums of The White Album and Physical Graffiti, they are certified at 19 and 16 times platinum but showing US sales of 10 and 8 million, therefore receiving double certification credit. Still, both those albums are also less than 100 minutes in length. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the price. Hot Rocks has always been marketed around the price of a single album. Therefore, it's actual sales, I believe, are more clearly reflected. The White Album and Physical Graffiti, have always been priced as double albums. I've also read that if you were released during the vinyl era, that the running time doesn't matter, a double album receives double certification. And only in the cd era, does the running time determine whether or not a multi disc sets receives double certification. More confusing is that Elvis live Aloha From Hawaii album has sold 5 million but doesn't receive double certification as a double album because it's running time is way low or maybe also, because it was never priced as a double album. So I'm not sure if in the US Hot Rocks has sold 12 million or just certified at 12 times platinum with 6 million sold. But according to Wikipedia it's actually sold 12 million in the US, which wouldn't be surprising.

So, not to be negative here, but after reading you're entire post I'm not sure I have any idea if we've come to any sort of conclusion other than what you originally thought may or may not be true.

Date: May 24, 2015 05:54

yeah I was hoping for some insight lol

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2015 06:11

Leonioid
georgelicks
While I have no "theories", some actual facts should help clear up the misinformation you have been told or read.

First, let's talk about the U.S. for example:
Soundscan has recorded the Stones have outsold Led Zeppelin in total album sales 1991-2013:

The Beatles - 56m
Pink Floyd - 35m
U2 - 33m
Elvis Presley - 30m
Aerosmith - 29m
AC/DC - 27m
Rolling Stones - 26m
Led Zeppelin - 25m

Second, the Rolling Stones have sold more digital singles than Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd have sold albums. The Stones had sold over 6,000,000 songs digitally between 2006-2008 only in the U.S according to Soundscan. Paint It Black was named best selling song of the 1960's in 2007 with 400,000 copies sold and now must be close (or over to) 2.000,000 copies. Sympathy for the Devil is approaching 1,500,000 digital sales and Gimme Shelter has sold over 1,000.000 too.

Third, the Stones were always promoted as a singles band, which were bought by the millions, far surpassing Floyd or Zeppelin. All those millions of singles aren't included on album sales lists.

Fourth, the Stones have more compilation albums than they have studio albums, while Zeppelin and Floyd have one or two, which cuts down album sales. Take for example one of the most popular songs of the Stones: Brown Sugar. The single sold well over 500,000 copies in U.S. upon relase. Then it was on Sticky Fingers, which has sold around 3.500,000-4.000,000 copies. Then only 6 months later it was on Hot Rocks, which sold 7-8 millions more. Then it was on Made in the Shade, which sold well over 1,000,000 copies. Then it was on Rewind, which sold over 500,000 copies. Then it was London Years, which sold almost 1,000,000 copies even with triple counting. THEN it was on Forty Licks which sold almost 3,000,000 copies, THEN it was on Jump Back which has sold nearly 2,000,000 copies by Soundscan, THEN it was on GRRR! which has sold nearly 300,000 copies and then we have the live albums too, it's on Love You Live (over a million copies sold), Flashpoint (another million) and Live Licks/Shine a Light/Hyde Park Live (close to 500,000 copies combined). Add all that up and you get close to 23,000,000 copies of Brown Sugar sold in the U.S. alone! This doesn't even include the digital sales of Brown Sugar!

And last, people like Stones SONGS, not the albums they are on, as reflected above. They have no album that was an entity unto itself such as The Wall, ZEP IV or DSOTH. People buy whatever has the songs they want. Hot Rocks itself has probably sold at or beyond the 10,000,000 copy mark (about 60,000-70,000 copies this year alone so far), even when not counting it double as the RIAA might (this is debatable as it was released on a SINGLE (not double) 8 track tape and a SINGLE cassette for many years).

Hope that helps ease our minds.
^^^ cool

And just think - JUMP BACK was originally released in 1993 in the UK only, which means it sold as an import in the US - which I still saw even at the time of FORTY LICKS being in stores - and then it was officially issued in the US with a wrapper that was slightly different. So add most likely not a huge amount of US sales but consider the UK sales just for that release...

Date: May 24, 2015 06:17

treaclefingers
pricepittsburgh

So, not to be negative here, but after reading you're entire post I'm not sure I have any idea if we've come to any sort of conclusion other than what you originally thought may or may not be true.

Technically it's may be true OR may not be true, not may or may not. May implies the opposite, as does may not.

There is simply no need for such unneeded redundancy, man.

Date: May 24, 2015 06:39

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
pricepittsburgh

Technically it's may be true OR may not be true, not may or may not. May implies the opposite, as does may not.

There is simply no need for such unneeded redundancy, man.[/

Sorry if my post or the other guys lack of grammar offends you smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 06:39 by pricepittsburgh.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2015 07:19

pricepittsburgh
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
pricepittsburgh

oh, Skippy's grammar has been known to offend but no offense to you post! Just a little mild bewilderment.

Date: May 24, 2015 08:08

treaclefingers
pricepittsburgh
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
pricepittsburgh

oh, Skippy's grammar has been known to offend but no offense to you post! Just a little mild bewilderment.

lol It's all good, I can ramble pretty good sometimes.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 24, 2015 16:18

GasLightStreet

And just think - JUMP BACK was originally released in 1993 in the UK only, which means it sold as an import in the US - which I still saw even at the time of FORTY LICKS being in stores - and then it was officially issued in the US with a wrapper that was slightly different. So add most likely not a huge amount of US sales but consider the UK sales just for that release...

Jump Back has sold 250,000 as import between 1993-2004 and over 1.6 million copies since the oficial US release on 2004, it should be 2x Platinum by now counting all the sales.

Date: May 26, 2015 02:19

pricepittsburgh
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
pricepittsburgh

There is simply no need for such unneeded redundancy, man.

HAHA! It wasn't you, it's Treace I'm having a snark at.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home