Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Possible Corretion for Hot rocks sales
Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:35

I hate to start a new thread but I wanted to be sure everyone saw my possible needed correction. I stated on a previous post that Hot Rocks, being a double album, gets credit twice from the RIAA in the U.S. so it's actual sales is about the same as Some Girls. However, I could be wrong. Hot Rocks may have actually sold 12 million (Not 6 million) and isn't getting credit as a double because it's running time is below 100 minutes. I'm a bit lost because Wikipedia lists it's certification as 12 times platinum and 12 million sold. Whereas with the double albums of The White Album and Physical Graffiti, they are certified at 19 and 16 times platinum but showing US sales of 10 and 8 million, therefore receiving double certification credit. Still, both those albums are also less than 100 minutes in length. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the price. Hot Rocks has always been marketed around the price of a single album. Therefore, it's actual sales, I believe, are more clearly reflected. The White Album and Physical Graffiti, have always been priced as double albums. I've also read that if you were released during the vinyl era, that the running time doesn't matter, a double album receives double certification. And only in the cd era, does the running time determine whether or not a multi disc sets receives double certification. More confusing is that Elvis live Aloha From Hawaii album has sold 5 million but doesn't receive double certification as a double album because it's running time is way low or maybe also, because it was never priced as a double album. So I'm not sure if in the US Hot Rocks has sold 12 million or just certified at 12 times platinum with 6 million sold. But according to Wikipedia it's actually sold 12 million in the US, which wouldn't be surprising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 05:37 by pricepittsburgh.

Re: Possible Corretion for Hot rocks sales
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:37

you seriously started a new and misspelt thread to post what you just posted in the other thread?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:50

HOT ROCKS still counts as a double LP sale but that still only means one person bought two records so...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 05:52 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:50

Albums sales are not the stones' strengths

Date: May 24, 2015 05:54

If it's from the vinyl era, as in pre-CD era, it's still counted twice. It's actually only sold 6 million copies. Or whatever it is. Divide it in half, that's what it is. Period.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 24, 2015 05:56

I prefer "more hot rocks : big hits and fazed cookies"

Date: May 24, 2015 05:57

GasLightStreet
If it's from the vinyl era, as in pre-CD era, it's still counted twice. It's actually only sold 6 million copies. Or whatever it is. Divide it in half, that's what it is. Period.

That's what I first assumed, but Wikipeida (Which I know makes mistakes) has it stated otherwise, under the certification section and I know somewhere in the RIAA criteria, the price of a double is considered.

Date: May 24, 2015 06:02

Multi-Disc Set

Quantity:
500,000 units. Package must include two or more Cds (or its tape and album - vinyl - equivalent.)

Quantity:
One million units. Package must include two or more CDs ( or its tape and album - vinyl - equivalent.)

Quantity:
Two million units. Package must include two or more Cds (or its tape and album - vinyl - equivalent.)

Requirements:
*Each unit within set counts as one unit toward certification.

*Minimum running time 100 minutes.

Requirements:

*Minimum running time 100 minutes.

Requirements:

*Minimum running time of 100 minutes.

*Recertified at each million unit sales level.

[www.riaa.com]

Date: May 24, 2015 06:47

So I'm guessing that Elvis Live, Aloha From Hawaii, which was released as a double LP in the vinyl era, and sold 5 million in the US, doesn't receive, Diamond status, because in the cd era, it was condensed to one disc by the time it reached 5 million. Just like Exile on Main Street is one disc now.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 24, 2015 10:21

Exile on Main Street is still a double vinyl LP, the vinyl era being still very much alive.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 24, 2015 13:19

Corretion needs correction smoking smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 24, 2015 16:00

Double albums from the vinyl era count as double. The RIAA certification for Hot Rocks is outdated, it was certified 12x platinum on 2002 and since then has sold well over 1 million copies, it should be 14x platinum at least but the Stones record company is not interested on certifications, their albums are well under certified from decades ago, Hot Rocks actually went from 6x platinum to 12x platinum on a single update.

Date: May 26, 2015 02:15

It's funny to know that HOT ROCKS is their biggest seller but not the most sold copies of an album due to it being a double LP.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home