Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Crisscross" (GHS article)
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 7, 2015 03:47

The source of the title "Crisscross" (one word!). Take note of the reported cover, which we now know ended up as an insert; Bailey's photos were to have appeared on a poster. No mention of "Winter" or "Coming Down Again".

[www.rollingstone.com]

New York — Goat's Head Soup will "almost definitely" be the title of the new Rolling Stones album.

Release date on the album is September 1st, said Marshall Chess, President of Rolling Stones Records. Completed cover art is a photograph of a steaming black cauldron containing a goat's head.

Mick Jagger was in the US recently, and if he approves the art work, the name sticks. The album package will include a poster of the group by David Bailey.

The recording is completed and approved. Included are ten original Jagger/Richards songs, of which only "Silver Train" has been recorded previously (by Johnny Winter). The other nine titles are "Starf*cker," "Hundred Years," "Can You Hear the Music?" "Through the Lonely Hours," "Angie," "Hide Your Love," "Crisscross," "Do Do Do Do" and "Dancing with Mr. D," described as a "voodooish reggae."

A film of the Stones performing three of the tunes will be made available to television news outlets in late August to accompany an interview Atlantic Records was to conduct with Jagger during his US visit.

And the film which Robert Frank shot of the Stones' American tour last year will open, for some unknown reason, in Cleveland, Ohio, on August 15th. It is entitled Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones.

Two weeks after the Cleveland gala, the Stones begin a 40-stop tour of Europe, starting in Amsterdam and possibly including swinging behind the Iron Curtain to Warsaw and Budapest. Billy Preston will join the tour at the second stop — Vienna — as the opening act. He also may back the Stones on keyboards.

Rumors that Keith Richards, busted recently in London on charges of possession of marijuana, would not be on the tour were stonily dismissed by a spokesman for the band. "This is a Rolling Stones tour," he said, "and the Rolling Stones are not the Rolling Stones without Keith."

This is a story from the August 16, 1973 issue of Rolling Stone.

Read more: [www.rollingstone.com]
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-07 04:25 by Glam Descendant.

Re: "Crisscross" (GHS article)
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 7, 2015 04:51

Side 1:

Dancing With Mr. D.
100 Years Ago
Through The Lonely Nights
Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie

Side 2:

Silver Train
Hide Your Love
Crisscross
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

Would it have been a better album? Not really. Almost the same, actually.
"Crisscross" is a great track and could have served as a b-side or it could have spiced up the "It's Only Rock 'N Roll" album. "Through The Lonely Nights" deserved better than ending up as a b-side.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 7, 2015 05:00

Coming Down Again would have been a true loss.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 7, 2015 05:01

> Almost the same, actually.

I disagree; "Crisscross" in place of "Winter" would have perked Side 2 up tremendously. (Though I prefer "Winter" personally.)

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 7, 2015 05:02

Glam Descendant
> Almost the same, actually.

I disagree; "Crisscross" in place of "Winter" would have perked Side 2 up tremendously. (Though I prefer "Winter" personally.)

That's why I wrote "almost" instead of "precisely"... ;-)

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2015 10:28

It would probably have been a good idea to can either HYL or CYTM in favor of CrissCross...

Another GHS related article from the RS archives : 18/01/73 : The Rolling Stones Recording in Jamaica :

Among the working titles are: "You Should Have Seen Her Ass," "Star-@#$%&," "Separately," "Four and In," "Give Us a Break," "Comin' Down, Again," "Waiting for a Friend," "Angie" and "First Thing."

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 7, 2015 10:31

GHS without its best song (CDA)! Wisely, they changed these plans.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 7, 2015 13:07

DandelionPowderman

Surely you know Angie is the best song based on sales alone... drinking smiley

Date: May 7, 2015 13:09

gotdablouse
It would probably have been a good idea to can either HYL or CYTM in favor of CrissCross...

Another GHS related article from the RS archives : 18/01/73 : The Rolling Stones Recording in Jamaica :

Among the working titles are: "You Should Have Seen Her Ass," "Star-@#$%&," "Separately," "Four and In," "Give Us a Break," "Comin' Down, Again," "Waiting for a Friend," "Angie" and "First Thing."

I read in an article about Exile Deluxe that Four and In was a working title for Dancing in the Light. Haven't heard of the others. Interesting that Separately was being worked on; would love to hear Jagger vocals on that.

Date: May 7, 2015 13:11

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

IMO, Angie is indeed ONE OF the best songs, but CDA is simply astonishingly beautiful.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 7, 2015 15:54

Crisscross, for me, could have been the song that if included made me actually reach for this album from time to time.

Date: May 7, 2015 16:03

TravelinMan
I read in an article about Exile Deluxe that Four and In was a working title for Dancing in the Light. Haven't heard of the others. Interesting that Separately was being worked on; would love to hear Jagger vocals on that.

Interesting, don't remember reading that article and it's a bit odd since DITL dates back to 1970 apparently. Do you remember what article it was?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 7, 2015 16:26

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Yeah it is weird, unless they were reworking it like Silver Train?

*It's towards the very end, just above the pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-07 16:27 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2015 16:27

Aside from the overcooked Angie, I love GHS. It's still too bad that Criss Cross didn't get released somewhere that's accessible.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 7, 2015 16:57

GHS is a very good album also without CC

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 7, 2015 17:00

I read in an article about Exile Deluxe that Four and In was a working title for Dancing in the Light. Haven't heard of the others.

That's interesting. Never heard about it before.

Maybe First Thing is a misheard Fast Talking?

N

Date: May 7, 2015 17:26

Yes wonder where he got that from, the dates don't work anyway as the period article from RS is likely more accurate. Now of course DITL maybe from Kingston...after all it was long thought to be a 1972 Elektra track I think ;-)

TravelinMan
[onlyrockandroll.london]

Thanks, so it's a blog, I'd misunderstood it to be a published article from the time of the release, like the one where Don Was mentioned Scarlet, not that is has to be less (or more) accurate than a published article of course.

--------------

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 7, 2015 19:06

It's funny. I remember when GHS came out and it actually was panned by the critics. Yet 42 years later, it certainly has quite a following.

Date: May 8, 2015 01:24

gotdablouse
Yes wonder where he got that from, the dates don't work anyway as the period article from RS is likely more accurate. Now of course DITL maybe from Kingston...after all it was long thought to be a 1972 Elektra track I think ;-)

TravelinMan
[onlyrockandroll.london]

Thanks, so it's a blog, I'd misunderstood it to be a published article from the time of the release, like the one where Don Was mentioned Scarlet, not that is has to be less (or more) accurate than a published article of course.

Yeah sorry I thought it was, I guess I assumed it was because the writer seemed confident about the title.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 8, 2015 01:44

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

IMO, Angie is indeed ONE OF the best songs, but CDA is simply astonishingly beautiful.

Angie is a good song and CDA is better but together with Silver Train, 100 Years Ago and Heartbreaker it's Winter that's best and most interesting.
Sorry guys tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 8, 2015 02:09

DandelionPowderman

+1 Though I would love to hear an "expanded" GHS with Crisscross and TTLN.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 8, 2015 08:37

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

You'll probably get your chance when the GHS Deluxe gets made.

peace

Date: May 8, 2015 09:59

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

A finished take of I Got A Letter would have been great as well.

Date: May 8, 2015 18:24

TravelinMan
gotdablouse

TravelinMan
[onlyrockandroll.london]

Yeah sorry I thought it was, I guess I assumed it was because the writer seemed confident about the title.

It looks as though there is enough evidence to rule out "Criss Cross Mind" , " Save Me " , and (obviously) "Criss Cross Man" as titles of the song. It's good enough for me,in any event.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:32

A GHS unreleased tracks album would be great. There's no need for these deluxe reissues to include the album, which everyone already has. Stand alone releases are the key.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 8, 2015 20:06

fans always fall in love with rare tracks and bootleg cuts-it's human nature,if something is rare it seems to have more value.the album is perfect how it is.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 8, 2015 20:19

That soup is truly the finest thing they ever cooked up with Taylor...I added the missing ingredients and it's even better

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 9, 2015 01:13

Winter > Heartbreaker > 100 Years Ago, is that a question?

Date: May 9, 2015 02:20

Winning Ugly VXII

It looks as though there is enough evidence to rule out "Criss Cross Mind" , " Save Me " , and (obviously) "Criss Cross Man" as titles of the song. It's good enough for me,in any event.

Nice picture, now I get the title of the boot, here's the source with full details : [dbboots.com]

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-09 02:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2015 02:45

I think Can You Hear The Music was the weakest track on the album. If they would have replaced that one with Crisscross the vibe of the LP would have been more balanced, imo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home