Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Peter Green's Blues Breakers
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 6, 2015 00:58

If anyone can find a better concert than the "current" release of Mayall's Blues Breakers 1967 from those tapes just released, I would be all ears. My, goodness, Peter Green was simply Breathtaking on this. GET IT! JR

Re: OT Peter Green's Blues Breakers
Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: May 6, 2015 02:46

all those Fleetwood mac stuff appeals to me more because I do not enjoy Mayall's voice at all.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 6, 2015 09:13

I agree with that. Mayall has always done pretty boring studiorecords, but live he is cruel, and often thanks to great guest artists.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 6, 2015 09:55

There are (i think) 5 concerts in the batch used for that cd. I hope they see wider release. They are all similar sound quality iirc.
Until he left Fleetwood Mac, Peter Green was probably the finest British guitarist of the era. It's well worth seeking out 1969 to 70 live Fleetwood Mac shows because he and Danny Kirwan were amazing together. Dare i say it, during that period they were better than the Stones as a live band. Yikes, i better run.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 6, 2015 10:10

It is not required then it is a matter of taste. And more precise: to have or not to have taste! grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: May 6, 2015 12:09

The live at Boston Fleetwood Mac concert (with Green) is awesome. I have a 3 CD versiĆ³n.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 6, 2015 12:15

I like Fleetwood Mac with Green better than Mayall with Green, because of Mayall's voice.

There are lots of Fleetwood Mac Live Discs availiable at amazon :

Live at the Marquee (1967)
London Live '68
Shrine 69 (1969)
Live At the Boston Tea Party, Parts 1 - 3 (1970)

etc etc

Some have bad sound, but Peter Green is just awesome. Worth checking out.

resotele

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 6, 2015 13:14

resotele
I like Fleetwood Mac with Green better than Mayall with Green, because of Mayall's voice.

There are lots of Fleetwood Mac Live Discs availiable at amazon :

Live at the Marquee (1967)
London Live '68
Shrine 69 (1969)
Live At the Boston Tea Party, Parts 1 - 3 (1970)

etc etc

Some have bad sound, but Peter Green is just awesome. Worth checking out.

resotele

+1
Love peter green.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 6, 2015 15:15

I think there are around 80 ish (?) concerts/radio show appearances in circulation. Absolutely anything from mid 69 to may 1970 is guaranteed brilliant.
I am a big Peter Green fan - he was the best with the possible exception of Jimi. He was also a truly fine singer and songwriter. When the band started dropping the blues mimic stuff and began stretching out (sidelining 3rd guitarist Jeremy Spencer in the process) they were pretty much out there on their own. If they had completed that 4th album before Green left it would have been a stunner.
That 3cd Boston Set (at it's best) is incredible. I believe the intention was for the highlights to make up that 4th album.
I mentioned in an earlier thread that there is a book due out later this year which will detail all surviving tapes of Green from his early sessions with Peter B's Looners to his last guest appearance with Fleetwood Mac. I'll plug it when it's out coz the sections i've read were really interesting.
Big shout for Danny Kirwan too - when he joined the group it gave PG the support to move away from 12 bars. As a guitar duo they are up there with The Allman Brothers at the very least.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: May 6, 2015 15:26

Big shout for Danny Kirwan too - when he joined the group it gave PG the support to move away from 12 bars. As a guitar duo they are up there with The Allman Brothers at the very least.

amen to that (and I Love Duane and Dickey dearly)

resotele

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 6, 2015 17:07

resotele

amen to that (and I Love Duane and Dickey dearly)

resotele
Amen

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 6, 2015 18:04

Someone needs to go ahead and create a show or something called

Peter Green's Blues Breakfast...

so it matches what I think I see when the name pops up.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 6, 2015 18:15

ash
I think there are around 80 ish (?) concerts/radio show appearances in circulation. Absolutely anything from mid 69 to may 1970 is guaranteed brilliant.
I am a big Peter Green fan - he was the best with the possible exception of Jimi. He was also a truly fine singer and songwriter. When the band started dropping the blues mimic stuff and began stretching out (sidelining 3rd guitarist Jeremy Spencer in the process) they were pretty much out there on their own. If they had completed that 4th album before Green left it would have been a stunner.
That 3cd Boston Set (at it's best) is incredible. I believe the intention was for the highlights to make up that 4th album.
I mentioned in an earlier thread that there is a book due out later this year which will detail all surviving tapes of Green from his early sessions with Peter B's Looners to his last guest appearance with Fleetwood Mac. I'll plug it when it's out coz the sections i've read were really interesting.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 6, 2015 22:59

Peter Green was undoubtedly brilliant but I think John Mayall deserves some props for all the amazing musicians he has had in his bands. He had a real eye for talent and had some amazing guitar players with Clapton, Green, Taylor, Montoya, Trout etc.

I saw Mayall this past year in a small venue here in Mssachusetts and his new guitar player, Rocky Athas is also excellent.

Mayall is one the of the most down to earth musicians you will ever want to meet.

When I entered the venue, which was in an old Mill building, John was personally manning a modest table selling his own CD's. After the show he came out to the lobby and signed autographs for the small crowd and was very friendly and engaging with his fans.

He is a true legend and one of the real gentlemen musicians I have ever met.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home